Ed_SPB

Sep 4, 2011
Hello everyone. Me and my friends rented a villa in Sanur. Have been living here for 20 days. It's 4 rooms with air con. We are using air con only during the night. Yesterday came staff and told us that we spent electricity for 3 million rupiah already! Is that possible or they are lying to us? Please help.

What is the cost of 1 kwt of electricity on Bali by the way?

Thank you.

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
I'm not sure if it is possible for them to figure out how much electricity you used. 3 million sounds high.

Is electricity not included in the rental?

Ed_SPB

Sep 4, 2011
Yes. It was 1 500 000 included. So they are saying that we over used for 1 500 000.

There's light, air con, pool. But still I think that electricity on Bali doesn't cost that much!

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
What Villa is it?

If you think they scam you can tell them you plan on writing a review on Tripadvisor. That's gonna harm them more than they would earn on the scam.

kayoticlaudia

Mar 10, 2011
Indonesia & Germany
Electricity is not cheap anywhere on this planet but 3 million is over the top!
If I have both bungalows rented out and my daughter trying to create a winter wonderland in the master bedroom I have max 2.4 million. This includes running a very old fridge, freezer chest, charging laptops and running tv's. Not to mention the night lights in the garden and buildings and out pool pumps.

Also out factory with sewing machines, irons and air cons never comes over 1.3 mil

So either they're trying to get some extra rps out of you, make you pay for a bill they forgot to charge previous occupants or (common in Indonesia) someone else is tapping into the electricity supply and you will be made to pay for it......

So BKT is right - ask to see the bill! If it does state over 3 mil you could tell them they need to have their electricity checked for leakage!

balidavo

Sep 16, 2011
bukit bali
This is a common complaint ...............,

STEP 1 - go to the mr fixit ( bali website ) where youll find a link to a electricity bill calculator .......,

STEP 2 -then search for a link to articles tittled "fixed abode" , available online on mr fixits website , alternatively , go to the bali advertiser website - and search for one of his past " fixed abode " articles , from last year which explanes in great detail the breakdown of the new power bill.

STEP 3 -Then take BTKs advice onboard (ie; check the bill ) , together with my advice ( do the calculations from step 1 and 2 )
; to establish first if the bills either correct , or the staff are ripping you off ...

STEP 4 - if the bill turns out correct , have a reputable electrition check your power , as you may either have ;

- an electrical problem within your home or appliances
- the meter itself has a problem
- or the neighbours have tapped into your supply without you knowing so . This does happen .

In the meantime, do this check ;Turn off your main power at night ( peak time ) and see if the neighbours light go out also , and while the powers off , check with a torch to see if the power usage wheel in the electricity meter is spinning -

because if youve cut power to your home , the wheel should NOT be spinning at all, and alarm bells should be ringing .

Last edited:

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
I have AC on 24-7 Never turn it off. fridge, lights, TV, playstation, computer, iron, etc.. My bill is about 500,000 every 3 months. Your bill sounds unreasonable.
They are trying it on. No question. There is no way you could use as much as I would use in 1 and a half years in 20 days. You must be supplying the whole street.

balidavo

Sep 16, 2011
bukit bali
another point to raise / be aware of is that ; higher rates per kilowatt are now charged for higher supplys.

therefore ......., someone who is supplied for example - 3300 watts will pay a lower rate per kilowatt compared to someone who is connected to a 4400watt supply . But a higher rate per kilowatt is charged for someone hooked up to a 5500 watts etc ....,

Another point to raise is once your supplied 7700 watts and above , your classed as an extreme user and the price per kilowatt goes through the roof .

Part of the new pricing structure was designed to discourage high energy use , this is because PLN is struggling to meet demands as we all know , so when building your house or villa , seriously try to work out what you really need , because if you over estimate your power needs and hook up to a bigger supply than whats nessisary , youll be paying extra when you need not be .

Plus do we really need all those appliances on at once ? maybe that lower supply will be quite sufficient , with some consideration it could mean a big saving on your power bill and the environment.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
What is the cost of 1 kwt of electricity on Bali by the way?

There is no simple answer because the amount of subsidy you get depends on the rating (maximum power available) of the house. Using Mr Fixit's calculator which is at Indonesian PLN Electricity new tariff and charges bill calculator, you will fin that if your house is rated for just 2.2 Kw, then the cost per Kwh is about $0.10, but if your house has 7.7 Kw available, then the cost per Kwh is about $0.32.

You can read your meter today, and then read it again in one week to see what your weekly consumption is (so, you don't need to wait for bills).

But the point made by someone, that you need to know exactly what is connected via that meter, is still true

hinakos

Sep 3, 2008
Bali + Vietnam
another point to raise / be aware of is that ; higher rates per kilowatt are now charged for higher supplys.

therefore ......., someone who is supplied for example - 3300 watts will pay a lower rate per kilowatt compared to someone who is connected to a 4400watt supply . But a higher rate per kilowatt is charged for someone hooked up to a 5500 watts etc ....,

Another point to raise is once your supplied 7700 watts and above , your classed as an extreme user and the price per kilowatt goes through the roof .

Part of the new pricing structure was designed to discourage high energy use , this is because PLN is struggling to meet demands as we all know , so when building your house or villa , seriously try to work out what you really need , because if you over estimate your power needs and hook up to a bigger supply than whats nessisary , youll be paying extra when you need not be .

Plus do we really need all those appliances on at once ? maybe that lower supply will be quite sufficient , with some consideration it could mean a big saving on your power bill and the environment.

but arent the new "pre paid" pulsa style meters all charged at the same rate, regardless of the size of the Kw breaker on your house?

phil170258

Feb 13, 2011
hi we live in a villa with 3 br (not 4) and aircon at night only and our monthly bill is 1.6 mill which we think is outrageous! btw our water pump seems to switch on and off all during the night. no leaks on any taps that i can see but maybe leaking pipe?

is the electricity the pulsa type where you pay in advance?

phil

Peter Ka

Mar 31, 2010
1 AC running costs Rp 800 per hour.
1 waterpump doing the old on/off is Rp 250 per hour.
1 swimming pool pump is Rp 750 per hour.

Easy to reach Rp 1.6 mln per month.

balidavo

Sep 16, 2011
bukit bali
but arent the new "pre paid" pulsa style meters all charged at the same rate, regardless of the size of the Kw breaker on your house?
I dont know ? , Im not on pre-paid , im on the old style meter

..., but my 20 rupiahs worth is ; I doubt it ......, but if they are on the same rate , I bet its the more expensive rate and not the cheaper one .

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
I dont know ? , Im not on pre-paid , im on the old style meter

..., but my 20 rupiahs worth is ; I doubt it ......, but if they are on the same rate , I bet its the more expensive rate and not the cheaper one .

Here is PLN page that lists pre-paid rates. Yes they do vary. But this page does not make it easy to understand who pays which rate.
Tarif Tenaga Listrik Prabayar | PT PLN (Persero)

Normy

Jul 22, 2012
Perth, Sanur
my 7700 prepaid currently shows ERR= = = 02 in the window . I no longer see the wheel of the meter. Don't know what this means. Can anyone explain meaning of the message?

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali

No. When you top up you must provide your meter number, they know the max KW for this meter and charge accordingly.