gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
Hi - How does car insurance work in Bali?

Approx costs?

Thanks

ehm... it doesn't work :icon_lol:...
I only know of new cars having insurance, and most of them have that insurance because the car has been bought using a finance-company..meaning pay whatever as a downpayment and the balance paying per month for the next couple of years.

most damage that occurs are scratches/small dents because of hitting bikes or they you ofcourse :icon_wink:..easy to fix at the 'Magic Ketok' sort of bodyrepair shop.
price for example frontfender (where your wheel sits) 150K, and looks like new.
backbumper and backside fender same costs and result the same..
Have never killed anyone using my car in Indonesia, so wouldn't know if any insurance would help then...but with the Indonesian legal system, I doubt it :icon_rolleyes:

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Well, some habits are hard to lose, so I have car insurance and have made claims. So to answer
How does car insurance work in Bali?
It works well. I have worked through an agent who gets quotes from a couple of companies like Allianz and AIG. He also helps with claims. For a repair you pay the first Rp200,000 (small compared with Aust) and there does not seem to be a system to discourage claims - like the no-claim bonus system in Aust.

The cost is 3 or 4 million per year depending on car value.

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
Well, some habits are hard to lose, so I have car insurance and have made claims. So to answer

It works well. I have worked through an agent who gets quotes from a couple of companies like Allianz and AIG. He also helps with claims. For a repair you pay the first Rp200,000 (small compared with Aust) and there does not seem to be a system to discourage claims - like the no-claim bonus system in Aust.

The cost is 3 or 4 million per year depending on car value.

Sounds much like my car insurance. Claims are unbelievably easy. Except for a long wait they make it pleasant. I think mine cost 22juta for 5 years.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
thats what I mean...you pay let's say 4 million a year, and per incident you pay the first 200.000....you have to crash your car alot, I mean really crash it to make it worth the while/money...

dank39

Aug 8, 2011
Question!
If I buy auto insurance in Bali, am I covering just my vehicle?
What about the person or vehicle that I might run into and it is
my fault. How is that handled?
Thanks in advance
dan

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
I'm no expert on insurance policies, but my impression is that damage you do to other people or property is covered, but I think to make such a claim there has to be a police report. Yes it covers you when it's your fault, but there are situations where you are not covered. I think not being licensed would be one, maybe being drunk would be another, but I'm guessing.