davita

Mar 13, 2012
OK I realize this thread is old and out of date...but does anyone have any update recommendations for a laptop purchase here in Bali.
I'm looking for one with a big screen like 17 inches and Windows 8? I'm a basic laptop user ...no games or fancy downloads needed..... just email and surfing info and forums.
My current Acer Aspire came from Canada and has been fine. I'd just like to leave it in our other accommodation in Jakarta and have a 'new laptop' here in Bali, and eliminate the need to carry between visits.
I was recommended to look in Carrefour/Hypermart but today found all their laptops are 14" screens...I'm familiar with Rimo electronic store but worried they cheat on price and warranty. Also, they might install pirated OS and apps. Am I overworried?

Appreciate advice and any help.

balipod-admin

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 12, 2010
Since you were replying to a thread from 2007, I have started a new one.:icon_e_biggrin:

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
Hi Davita, at the Rimo stores they'll definitely install a pirated version of Windows if you don't request and pay extra for a legitimate copy. They do tend to assume that everyone is fine with this. They'll also probably stick other unnecessary software on as well. Don't let them install any antivirus software as Windows 8 has one already built in for free.

Have you thought about buying a monitor, keyboard and mouse and just adding these to the available 14" laptops? If you don't actually need to be portable, even a 17" screen is too small in my opinion.

Lastly, if you don't already have a tablet, now is the time to buy one as you may find that it'll do pretty much everything you want. If you want something that just works, get an iPad, if you're more of an tinkerer, and can handle working out problems for yourself, get an Android.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Since you were replying to a thread from 2007, I have started a new one.:icon_e_biggrin:

I already indicated I knew it was an old thread. I searched to find if the question had been asked before then just used the title to ask the same question......but updated.

Some you win....some you don't...:indecisiveness:

But thanks for creating the new thread...:cat:

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks DPH for ^#3.

This Acer Aspire I'm writing on (17.3") is perfect size for me but slightly bigger would also work. I'm going for holiday to Vancouver/Seattle next month and can have a new laptop (Win8 installed) from ebay shipped to me there and bring back as personal...for about US$500-600.

Anyone see a problem or advise a better plan...or recommend a suitable laptop product, for my purpose?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
If you are going back to civilization and looking for a nifty piece of kit that is kinda portable have a look at these:

Lenovo C560 Touch All-in-One | Entry-Level All-in-One PCs | Lenovo (US)

If it was me I'd skip the windows 8. I'm sure many will disagree but unless you use touch screen windows 7 is a rock-steady OS with surprisingly few bugs. At 23 inches the screen is good size and resolution great.

That's what I know.

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
Go with Windows 7 Davita windows 8 with just confuse you more ! it would be a new learning to use it , time better spent pouring wine or even watching a movie .

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks Markit and Smoke for your inputs.

Couldn't sleep for a while so read some tutorial on Windows 8 and agree...nothing there I need. This laptop has 7 and I'm still getting familiar with it and I still use a simple Rp35,000 mouse...the complex stuff I never use.
I'd never heard of those all-in-ones before so am now searching catalogues from 'Best-Buy' and other discount electronic stores that I can go to on my trip. I'll narrow down my choices so I can sound smart when I talk to those techies in the stores...otherwise, they'll think I'm from the bondooks when they see my mozzie bites and pink forehead and asking stupid questions. :cupcake:

Thanks again guys for pointing me in the right direction. Good info.

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
@ Davita if you see something you like at a best buy usa. let me know. i have easy way to bring in to indo .no fees:icon_wink:. but depending on time of year could take 2 weeks to 2 months

davita

Mar 13, 2012
@ Davita if you see something you like at a best buy usa. let me know. i have easy way to bring in to indo .no fees:icon_wink:. but depending on time of year could take 2 weeks to 2 months

Thanks for the offer Smoke but, like I said, I'll be somewhere between Vancouver and Seattle for about 6 weeks starting late June. I'm already investigating what to buy while there and bring back as used personal baggage.

I looked at an Acer Aspire series Z (AZ3105ur30) all-in-one under $700 but a reviewer said it will not drive older printers...anyone know if Win 8 is incompatable with today's printers...mine is a Canon Pixma only 'bout 18 months old.

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
If you know what you want maybe you can get one from Bhinneka (link : Object moved) I have bought from them before (cellphone, modem ...) and can't complain. Official warranty,

Last edited:

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Sourcing a big screen Windows PC in Indonesia

Hi Davita, I couldn't resist looking at this requirement, particularly trying to work out how well you may go sourcing your needs here in Indonesia.

So first issue is big screen. I have browsed extensively on Waroeng Komputer, and most laptops are 14" a few are 15.6" and some are smaller blending into what is called netbooks. So if sourcing locally the two suggestions above make sense
1. DenpasarHouse suggests a 14" laptop with a big screen plugged in
2. Markit suggests a particular Lenovo that is a so-called all in one desktop computer
I think Indonesians just don't buy 17" laptops, so no one stocks them. If you bring in one from elsewhere, service for a screen problem (if ever needed) may be a headache.

And on the issue of which Windows, I would suggest ignoring the Windows 7 Luddites. Windows 8 has anti virus built in so you don't need add-ons like Avast or AVG which keep chattering to you which is their subtle way of nagging you to upgrade to a paid version. Windows 8 just does the job and doesn't chatter much. Another benefit of Windows 8 is the File History way of doing backups. You need an external disk (probably USB, or it could be Network Attached Storage (NAS) on your home WiFi router) and then you need to turn it on - but after that it just works better than any other backup strategy I have used up till now.

But that's a side issue - use whichever Windows appeals to you.

So I see you are currently comfortable with Acer, and you want a big screen, so I just picked an all-in-one computer, the ACER AZ5771 - i3-2120, W7HP which is on Waroeng Komputer at Rp8,700,000. There is a short review of it at Acer All-In-One AZ5771-UR31P 23-inch All-In-One Desktop Review. It has a 23" screen, a wireless keyboard and mouse, some touch capability on the screen, and 4GB of memory and a 1 TB disk - both these better than most laptops.

There are many other all-in-ones listed.

You could buy on-line - this means emailing him, getting an exact quote, doing a bank transfer, then he ships via JNE. But you go to Jakarta so you could track him down in Mangga Dua, his name is Lijanto. I imagine he works out of a tiny space - he is not an Amazon with a huge warehouse, but he sources his products from retailers in the complex. Since the Rupiah has been falling against the $, his prices get a bit out of date and tend to be to low. So you may see this one at 8.7, and when you email he may come back and say its now 9.1 or something. But that is still under $800.

I hope these thoughts help.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Thanks balibule and Ronb for your help. I checked out the links and to me it seems the affordable (my budget around US$700) don't have OS ...I guess that is where people here install the pirated versions.
As I'm heading to the West Coast (Canada and USA) I think I'll keep looking for one there and use it there, then bring it back. Over there they have many discount promos, particularly on slightly older stock, which is ok with me. If unsuccessful, I'll check back on Mangga Dua next trip to Jakarta.

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
@ Davita try and get an international warrenty ..sometimes warrenty only valid in USA .

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
I think, but am not sure, that if you use a pirated Windows 7, you may not get Microsoft updates. If so, this then leaves you vulnerable to attacks that the Microsoft updates have been addressing. For me personally, I pay for genuine Windows, but admit that I avoid paying for MS Office and Adobe products. If I paid all that it would pressure my budget.

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
not that I would know but you can still update windows 7 and windows 8 with the software available for "FREE"".. every once in a while you may have to adjust it.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
@ Davita try and get an international warrenty ..sometimes warrenty only valid in USA .

Good point smoke...I'll keep that in mind.

I think, but am not sure, that if you use a pirated Windows 7, you may not get Microsoft updates. If so, this then leaves you vulnerable to attacks that the Microsoft updates have been addressing. For me personally, I pay for genuine Windows, but admit that I avoid paying for MS Office and Adobe products. If I paid all that it would pressure my budget.

RonB....Nearly all the computers I'm looking at already have Win8. If I bring one back with 8 installed and find it cumbersome...is it still possible to have 7 retro-installed here in Bali? Or is it possible to install/run 2 OS simultaneously?

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
An article on pcworld.com in Dec 2012 (Win 8 just out) said
The good news is you can buy a PC loaded with Windows 8 Pro, try out the new OS, and then downgrade to Windows 7. Unfortunately, however, the road back to Windows 7 can be confusing and full of twists.

Hewlett-Packard is typical: It does not support downgrades of consumer-grade Windows 8 PCs to Windows 7. But if you buy a machine loaded with Windows 8 Pro, you can make the jump. HP's policy is based on Microsoft's licensing terms, which support downgrade rights only to new PCs preloaded with Windows 8 Pro, the version of Windows designed for business.

So it can be possible to move from a licensed Windows 8 to a licensed Windows 7 - but maybe difficult. If you go to Rimo Centre, they will trash your licensed Wndows 8 and replace it with a pirated Windows 7. My preference would be to stay licensed once you have paid for it.

The initial adverse reaction to Win 8 by those who didn't like the new look/feel has been largely addressed by the changes in Win 8.1. So if you get a Win 8 PC and it is not already 8.1, just let it do all the Microsoft updates available and it will become 8.1.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I did notice, during my searches, that nearly everything came loaded with Win 8.1...so thanks for pointing that out. Any time I clicked for a product with Win 7 it came up 'no stock'. I see that the main thing about Win 8 is it allows touch-screen...do you think this is something I need or will hardly use?

I guess I'll have to learn all about Win 8.1 but, as most people say I think I know everything, maybe this will be a little humbling. :black_eyed:

I really like those 'all-in-one' but have never actually seen one, so will need to see if it can fit in my bags to return to Bali. I'm scared if I leave them in the box as carry-on baggage.....Indonesian Customs will rub their hands when they offer their welcome!