JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
How about using Linux? There are some versions that look like Windows and are free: Zorin OS - Home

Linux comes in many different distributions ("flavours"). Which one to choose? Some are more user-friendly than others. The "best" ones for new users seem to be built on top of Ubuntu.

Linux lovers extol the virtues of whichever version they've mastered, which works for them. I think that claims about how "easy" it is to run Windows software in "WINE" are largely exaggerated.
Matters have improved over the years.

I first tried Linux (running an older version of Ubuntu), a few years ago. Drove me nuts in the end and I gave up. Tried a couple more "distro's" later, but none delivered the goods for me.
Trying to run, for example, a 64-bit Windows version of Adobe Photoshop CS6 was frustrating, let alone getting 3rd-party Photoshop plugins, (like Topaz), to "work".

Here's the thing. Most software is still written for either Microsoft Windows or Apple's OS. The free Linux "GIMP" image editing software is quite a powerful Photoshop "alternative", but a dog to use (even after it got rid of the floating pallettes bull****).

Microsoft haters should remember that whilst Windows is far from "perfect", it is still the platform that supports most available software, computer configurations and devices.
That is maybe its strength and weakness. Apple doesn't have that "problem" because it's not trying to accommodate the needs of of people using thousands of wildly different computers. If you've got an Apple, that's sort of it.

Windows software can run on Apples using BootCamp. Similarly, Apple's operating system can run on Windows using the same technique (running a virtual machine).

Despite hyperbolic claims to the contrary, I still believe Linux is not yet ready for the masses, especially neophytes. Maybe one day.

:cat: