balipod-admin

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 12, 2010
For Hinakos, the setting is already "Show Enhanced (WYSIWYG) Editor Toolbar" so that might not be the problem. I was thinking maybe it is browser related. Or are you on a mobile device?

@Joji, ppt files are not allowed by default, probably for security reasons. As Matsaleh says you could upload it to a site like: Upload & Share PowerPoint presentations and documents

Feb 15, 2013
Jakarta
Joji, I don't think it's possible to attach a PowerPoint file. The only allowed file type extensions in the attachment menu are: jpg, jpeg, png and gif. PowerPoint files are saved as ppt file extensions, so not accepted.

The only way you could add it to the forum would be to save it on another website as an HTML file and then upload the URL.

Thanks matsaleh. But this file has sound on it and would lose its effect.

hinakos

Sep 3, 2008
Bali + Vietnam
tree stuff.jpg Finally able to upload - dunno why i couldnt before. Anyway - here is the critter responsible for the carnage. How can i create extreme discomfort to these freeloaders? I already used a soapy water mix(which is what my gardiner told me to use) - it reduced their numbers while but they came back stronger 3 weeks later. Also used the Neem oil / water combo but not effective either. Any ideas what this beast actually is? Cant find on the net. Next stop Monsanto or the Syrian army.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

Until Monsanto comes to help?

Normy

Jul 22, 2012
Perth, Sanur
hinakos it looks like something called cottony cushion scale. However they are native (to Oz) and attsck citrus. My books are rather old. They only show anthracnose and fruit fly as being mango pests.
I would go for the white oil which has the effect of smothering them. If you can find Malathion in Bali, or something with the same ingredients add that to the spray. Bugs don't like that stuff.

hinakos

Sep 3, 2008
Bali + Vietnam
Thanks for the replies all - i'd imagine any one of these toxic concoctions would wipe any any kind of bug (anthracose, fruit fly, mealy bug)?

Or is it imperative to target a particular kind of bug with a particular kind of poison....i mean, if i found the equivalent of Malathion in Bali, wouldnt that take out all 3 of these critters anyway?

IM confused as to why for 2 years that tee was perfectly healthy then all of a sudden its infested....i think possibly our gardiner brought some infected other trees in when adding more to our gardens and they spread. They really only seem to be interested in the mango tree though.

hinakos

Sep 3, 2008
Bali + Vietnam
could not get this in Bali.

so i did the following:

pruned the tree aggresively.

i got my little blue karcher pressure washer from Ace hardware with the soap dispenser mounted at end of wand.

made 50/50 mix of spiratus (that purple kerosene like liquid people use to run the old pump up lamps with) and soapy water. the soapy water was made from clothes washing laundry powder as a base.

made about 4 litres of this in a bucket.

filled said container at end of pressure cleaning wand with the bucket mix.

got gardiner and freind to scale the mango tree, with the pressure washer, after running a hose and power loop up the tree.

had them blast the tree with the concoction. covered it it foam. the little soap container had to be refilled many times. but it did spray a nice foamy coating over everything.

many of the leaves were blasted clean off the branches. but they were all infested anyway.

that was 5 weeks ago.

the tree appears to have come back healthier than ever, and thus far, no sign of the white critters.

hinakos

Sep 3, 2008
Bali + Vietnam
yes beginning to get buds i think.

you must be kidding me about the fruit though.

the landowner comes by and picks them while they are still green and hard and not edible. every last one of them.

its like a cruel game of poker.....instead of waiting for them to ripen, its a standoff to see who will break first and pick them. i never win because i dont see the point of picking them before they are ready.

and i will never see the point of slicing up unripe fruit and smothering it in shilli and sour sauce. its just a way of being able to eat the fruit that you were not patient enough to wait for.

an enduring legacy handed down from balinese elders to their young.

take everything today. if you dont, someone else will.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Hik why are you going to all this effort for someone else's mango tree? If you're that altruistic come round and spray my Hibiscus they have the same shite.

hinakos

Sep 3, 2008
Bali + Vietnam
I only own "own" the land for 26 years. I have a 26 year leasehold agreement for the land, on which i built a villa - that mango tree sits within the boundaries of that land.

Owner occasionally comes in to bless the hole in the ground that leads to my underground pool pump house, somewhereelse in the garden where i think a placenta is buried, and of course, the mango tree.

It is during such mango tree blessings, and when im never there, that the unripe unholy harvest takes place.

Normy

Jul 22, 2012
Perth, Sanur
what a crafty mean sod! I see many recipes for salsa, chutney etc. Also used in many Thai recipes. A bad season for mangos over here. Paying $1.50/$2 large ripe varieties at present.