hinakos

Sep 3, 2008
Bali + Vietnam
I have a decent sized mango tree in my yard.

The underside of all the leaves has a white powder all over them. Also wierd little white creatures all over them. alien looking flat kind of aphids.

I think its making ll the leaves turn eventually black.

worse still, all this junk falls out of the mango tree and blankets the tropical garden i have under it....now all those plants have the white junk under the leaves. And the little aliens are on it too.

While eveything is still alive, the plants arent dying, they arent a nice healthy green anymore - all brownish and blackish leaves everywehre now.

I think i need to start at the top of the mango tree and work my way down....when applying whatever it is i need to apply.

I dont even know how to do this as its a big tree (some kind of massive spray machine??)

Any ideas??

Normy

Jul 22, 2012
Perth, Sanur
mango trees in oz are subject to anthracnose which turns leaves, twigs, bark, and small branches black. Also marks the skin on fruit. Not sure about the little aliens.
I spray using mancozeb + (plus). Not sure if you can get it in Bali.

hinakos

Sep 3, 2008
Bali + Vietnam
Hi Normy,

So what your saying is that you suspect this is a plant disease, not an not an attack by insects?

I have all the undersides of the leaves white with a kind of white mould...but living amongst this white mould are there little flat white crazy bugs, and about 3mm long each.

Mancozeb looks like a nasty chemical......so should be easy to get a hold of here.

Is it really as nasty as what is says on the internet? how do you manage to spray it all over a large mango tree?

Thanks

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
You can get people to spray your trees, but I am sure they use nasty chemicals. There are natural solutions available and there is some information here: Mango Problems Maybe ACE sells some kind of sprayer to get up in the branches of your tree.

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
I have a similar problem of white fungus affecting my frangipani trees, and have been advised to use something called 'white oil', mixed with water and sprayed on the tree leaves. While it's not exactly organic, it doesn't seem to be very toxic and works.

Normy

Jul 22, 2012
Perth, Sanur
hinakos it seems you have 2 problems together. Anthrachnose seems to start off with black spots on the leaves which increase and get bigger. The leaves shrivel and fall. Mine looked grey on underside. Don't have any other bugs. With mancozeb just take usual precautions, rubber gloves when mixing and spraying and a face mask. I use a 5 or 10 litre sprayer from a ladder. Spraying from the top you usually get dripped on . Bottom up is best but your tree may be too big. Perhaps get someone to do it for you.

hinakos

Sep 3, 2008
Bali + Vietnam
hinakos it seems you have 2 problems together. Anthrachnose seems to start off with black spots on the leaves which increase and get bigger. The leaves shrivel and fall. Mine looked grey on underside. Don't have any other bugs. With mancozeb just take usual precautions, rubber gloves when mixing and spraying and a face mask. I use a 5 or 10 litre sprayer from a ladder. Spraying from the top you usually get dripped on . Bottom up is best but your tree may be too big. Perhaps get someone to do it for you.

ill try to send some pics tiomorrow. it does seem like 2 problems at once....but its strange, both are only on and under the mango tree....the rest of the garden is fine.

hinakos

Sep 3, 2008
Bali + Vietnam
not a bad idea. while im researching the more hard core alternatives...I might get someone around to climb through the tree with a Neem sprayer and give it a go. cant hurt.

hinakos

Sep 3, 2008
Bali + Vietnam
Attached are pics of the critters underneath the leaves, and the black markings on top of the leaves.

I wish.

admin why cant I attach anything?

I reply to the thread, go advanced, manage attachments, browse, selected a "pre compressed - 47kb .jpg image, hit upload, and the little loading circle beside the question mark just spins and thinks about it for hours on end. what am I doing wrong?

Normy

Jul 22, 2012
Perth, Sanur
On the undersides of the leaves (which have bugs on them) still on the tree, is there any sticky substance exuding from the bugs?

hinakos

Sep 3, 2008
Bali + Vietnam
Attached are pics of the critters underneath the leaves, and the black markings on top of the leaves.

I wish.

admin why cant I attach anything?

I reply to the thread, go advanced, manage attachments, browse, selected a "pre compressed - 47kb .jpg image, hit upload, and the little loading circle beside the question mark just spins and thinks about it for hours on end. what am I doing wrong?

Yes normy...a white substance, tonnes of it. Not really sticky though...a bit sticky in places, but a bit powdery too. The white spiky bugs are living in amongst it.Been doing heaps of googling..."sapsucking pests" is where im at now. I think the black / brown discoloration on the tops of the leaves is a result of these critters. From what im reading very hard to get rid of.

Admin....anyone there???? What am I doing wrong? A picture is a thousand words here....I cant attach!

Last edited:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Hik just use the attach image icon at the top of your "Quick Reply" toolbar of have I missed something special you want to do? Admin sleeps a long time usually as they are up all night drinking and laughing at the posters here.

Normy

Jul 22, 2012
Perth, Sanur
I had been thinking scale pests. Any I have seen (not on a mango) dont seem to fall of onto other plants. If you are near a plant nursery put some leaves with live pests into a sealed plastic bag, perhaps they would know what they are. Do any nearby neighbours have the same problem?.
White oil is good for many pests. Just follow instructions re temperature (below 30 bit difficult in Bali)

hinakos

Sep 3, 2008
Bali + Vietnam
There are no icons in my quick reply box (at the bottom of the page). Top left says "quick reply". Top right says "Quick navigation", "Bali tips and tricks", "Top".

Bottom left there is nothing, bottom right there is "post quick reply", "go advanced", and "cancel".

no icons, nothing.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Hinakos, the icons are usually under the word "Quick Reply". You need to change your personal settings.

At the top of the home page, click on "Settings". When this opens, scroll down the left hand side and click on "General Settings"

When this opens, scroll down the page to: "Message Editor Interface". At the moment, I'm guessing your setting is marked "Basic Editor - A simple text box"

Click on the point marked: "Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing" and Save the changes.

You will then see icons in the Quick Reply box, directly under the word "Quick Reply".

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
On an relate theme, Admin, how can I put a power point file on here?
Joji, I don't think it's possible to attach a PowerPoint file. The only allowed file type extensions in the attachment menu are: jpg, jpeg, png and gif. PowerPoint files are saved as ppt file extensions, so not accepted.

The only way you could add it to the forum would be to save it on another website as an HTML file and then upload the URL.