Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
I was speaking to my friend in Australia who has just applied for a 60 day tourist visa
It is very easy
Down load the form from the Internet & fill it out
Photo, passport etc
You must supply a copy of your return ticket out of Indonesia up to 60 days.
You do not need a sponsor
This was last week
So can anybody show me were & when the law changed to allow you to extend the visa?

I can then go back to Immigration here in Surabaya & let them know when this happened
As of this morning Immigration are telling me it is illegal to extend a tourist visa past 60 days.

I know people have used agent to do this & have paid big money to extend a tourist past 60 days.
When people ask visa question I like to give correct anwser, so if I'm wrong please let me know?:icon_mrgreen::icon_mrgreen:

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Perhaps it wasn't the law that changed but just the interpretation of that law?

Don't forget how the law was supposed to have changed to allow foreigners to work on a spouse sponsored visa. Whatever happened with that?

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
like spicy says, the law hasn't changed...it's just applied the way it should.

guess in sby they are a bit slow, and still haven't learned how to read indexnumbers of visa's :icon_biggrin:
maybe they are a bit confused, juanda being an airport where VOA is available..
but if your friend wants to CHANGE not extend his 60 day touristvisa into a sosbudvisa, all he needs to do is bring a sponsorletter and show a returnticket within 180 days
of when the initial visa was stamped at entry. If they don't understand, point them to the indexnumber saying B-211.
like spicy says, the law hasn't changed just it's just applied the way it should.

as for the spouse following visa and working, is as far as I know not yet applicable.
Meaning the officials don't know how to process the application, what forms to use etcetc...
could also be that those forms have not yet reached the kantor immigrasi..for a fact I know that they haven't received an official ammended copy of that law,
as I have printed an unofficial copy for them.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Perhaps it wasn't the law that changed but just the interpretation of that law?

Don't forget how the law was supposed to have changed to allow foreigners to work on a spouse sponsored visa. Whatever happened with that?

spicayam the law has not changed to allow foreigners to work on a wife sponsored kitas, it is with the department of manpower & you will not see anything till next year.

Last edited:

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
like spicy says, the law hasn't changed...it's just applied the way it should.

guess in sby they are a bit slow, and still haven't learned how to read indexnumbers of visa's :icon_biggrin:
maybe they are a bit confused, juanda being an airport where VOA is available..
but if your friend wants to CHANGE not extend his 60 day touristvisa into a sosbudvisa, all he needs to do is bring a sponsorletter and show a returnticket within 180 days
of when the initial visa was stamped at entry. If they don't understand, point them to the indexnumber saying B-211.
like spicy says, the law hasn't changed just it's just applied the way it should.

as for the spouse following visa and working, is as far as I know not yet applicable.
Meaning the officials don't know how to process the application, what forms to use etcetc...
could also be that those forms have not yet reached the kantor immigrasi..for a fact I know that they haven't received an official ammended copy of that law,
as I have printed an unofficial copy for them.

TOURIST VISA

A single entry Tourist Visa is granted for those who intend to travel to Indonesia for holiday/leisure purposes other than the exempted foreign nationals (Free Visa for Short Visit). This type of visa will also be granted to persons who are employed in the tourism area (to arrange and accompany a tourist group, to promote tourism in Indonesia, etc.).

The Tourist Visa is not a working visa and could not be converted into any other types of visa. The Tourist Visa is valid if presented within 3 (three) months from the date of issuance.

SOCIAL-CULTURAL VISA

A single entry Social-Cultural Visa is granted for those who will conduct social-cultural activities (e.g. family gathering, education, sports, etc.) in Indonesia for a duration of up to 6 (six) months. The applicant must have a valid sponsor (company or individual) in Indonesia and must have the requirements listed below.

Social-Cultural Visa is valid if presented within 3 (three) months from the date of issuance and could be extended in Indonesia or converted into a Temporary Stay Visa.

Now both of these visa use the same form & you sign the bottom, by signing you agree to the condition of the visa.
tourist visa you will leave Indonesia by 60 days & can not be converted.
Social-cultural visa you will leave by 6 months.
Now gilbert I know you can slide a Little money over the table. But that is illegal.:icon_mrgreen:

As for the wife sponsor kitas change to a kitap, its no problem if you are in your second year of kitas etc.
there is still not change for working.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
I am with you Fred but a B211 tourist visa and a B211 Sosbud visa are the same with one exception. The Sosbud visa has the name of the sponsor on the visa. There have been instances only in Bali where the B211 tourist visa has been extended but only by changing it to a Sosbud Visa by getting a sponsor. Other wise it is quite clear from any web site I have seen that the above is correct.

alphonso

May 26, 2011
I am with you Fred but a B211 tourist visa and a B211 Sosbud visa are the same with one exception. The Sosbud visa has the name of the sponsor on the visa. There have been instances only in Bali where the B211 tourist visa has been extended but only by changing it to a Sosbud Visa by getting a sponsor. Other wise it is quite clear from any web site I have seen that the above is correct.

in that case, hopefully there won't be any more tourist/sosbud/voa visa threads then

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Now that we have worked out the tourist/so bud visa's, If anyone hears of any changes to the visa please let us know.

As gilbert said, a little money & things can happen in Immigration/agent
Work visa no company 40 mill
extension on any visa 1-1.5mill
retirement visa no documents 15mill
kitas no document 10-15mill
And you don't even have to leave Bali (totally illegal but up to you)
Next time I go to Immigration I will ask how many people get deported for false visa.:icon_mrgreen:

LATAH

Oct 12, 2010
Next time I go to Immigration I will ask how many people get deported for false visa.:icon_mrgreen:[/QUOTE

That would be interesting Fred. I wonder if there have been any studies done? It is hard enough finding stats on western nations deportation numbers and reasons for deportation. Don't forget to give us an update on how this question went down.

Cheers

Sydjapan

Jun 7, 2008
Japan
Say it aint so.....

Hate to beat these topics to death but I just went to BKK and got my Soc Bud....I was all happy till I read the above that suggested that the only difference from the 60 day tourist visa is the sponsors name is on the Soc Bud visa...I just got out my passport and no sponsor name? PLS tell me it aint so and that after all that I only have a 60 day tourist visa? Am I missing something or am I just lame because I didn't clarify when I picked it up in Bangkok? I was so happy to get it and skipped on out for some Padthai....sigh....

Sydjapan

Jun 7, 2008
Japan
Had the letter, wrote Social visa on the application - did everything I was supposed to? The letter was in Indonesian and had the copy of the sponsor's registration etc....It didn't even occur to me to "ask" about it when I picked it up and I had no idea to look for the sponsor's name or anything...I just assumed there was a number or some indication that immigration would know it is a Soc Bud.....as opposed to a tourist visa....So back to the question for all of you that have the Soc Bud...Is there indeed a sponsor's name on it? If so, I will go in and see if I can extend anyway? Thanks in advance.

LATAH

Oct 12, 2010
I've got my sponsor's name on the bottom line of my visa. If you have a 211, I doubt you will have any problems as there have been many reports of 60 day "tourist" visas being extended. Perhaps, it might help to use the services of a good agent.

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
I just looked in my passport & bugger me it has a sponsor name & city, just next to visa type 211/ 60 days. but thats 2 years old.:icon_mrgreen:

Sydjapan

Jun 7, 2008
Japan
Hooped again....what a bummer considering the work I did to do it right and the fact I had a flight to and back from BKK and was so smug that I could avoid the Singapore run and associated expenses....Hopefully I can extend the 60 day tourist visa as others have reported being able to do....Will let you know.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I read on another forum one time that the sponsor's name is only printed at the embassies in Singapore and Malaysia.

Sydjapan

Jun 7, 2008
Japan
Hmmm...would there be any other indicator that my visa could be a Soc Bud? There is a Reg No. at the top...also a massive USED stamped near the bottom if that gives anyone some insight? I guess I will stop being a lazy sod and just go down to immigration and ask them to have a look. Better than waiting till the lat days and finding out....Thanks everyone!

LATAH

Oct 12, 2010
I read on another forum one time that the sponsor's name is only printed at the embassies in Singapore and Malaysia.

You can add Australia to this list. Gilbert, recently did a visa run to BKK - perhaps you could ask him.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
I have no idea if there's a sponsorname printed or not in my passport...
I do know that the data provided, like a sponsorname is registered within the imigrationoffice at BKK...

If you're visa is 60days, there's no doubt it's a 211-visa and thus extendable:icon_wink: