lmoreira

Jul 24, 2011
Hi there,

I am a portuguese girl and I am making arrangements to go to Bali for a couple of months and maybe find a job there (something simple, I speak 3 languages fluently, I could be a tour guide or similar).

Nonetheless, I am lost. Do I just enter the country? Do I need a Visa? Do I get it when I arrive...?

help! :)

sassyoz

May 18, 2011
Bali
Serious?

Hi there,

I am a portuguese girl and I am making arrangements to go to Bali for a couple of months and maybe find a job there (something simple, I speak 3 languages fluently, I could be a tour guide or similar).

Nonetheless, I am lost. Do I just enter the country? Do I need a Visa? Do I get it when I arrive...?

help! :)

Bring plenty of money with you............Do your homework as there is NO work here for you!

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
sweet Imoreira...

first of all welcome to the forum :)
I don't wanna come across as an ass, but questions like yours have been asked and answered before...alot of times :icon_wink:
But in the spirit of who does good will meet good, here goes..

For you to stay on Bali for a couple of months you would need a visa, this visa is called a Sosial Budaya visum (SOSBUD). To get a visa like this you would need to have an Balinese citizen 'sponsoring' you, meaning you need a copy of the KTP of this person. You (your sponor) also need to write a letter (you can find a sample of this letter on the forum) and he/she needs to sign this letter, then you go to the Indonesian Embassy with your passport and ofcourse this letter and copy of KTP and apply for a sosbud visa...couple of days later you can pick up your passport with the visa stamped into it. This sosbudvisa will allow you to stay in Indonesia for the duration of 60 days, after 50 days you go to the imigration-office to extend your visa for another 30 days (again bring the letter and copy oif KTP)...you can extend this visa a total of 4 times, so you coulds stay here for a total of 180 days.
The problem is I think, you don't know any Balinese person willing to sponsor you yet, a solution might be just coming here without any prior visa application at the embassy back home...at the airport when you arrive, you buy a Visa On Arrival (VOA) this will allow you to stay for 30 days. In those 4 weeks I am sure you will find someone who wants to sponsor you for a SosBud visa. So you've found someone and then you would have to leave the country after those 30 days, go for example to Singapore, and do the above explanation for getting a SosBud at the Embassy there.

Now working is a totally different story, as in you are legally not allowed to work in Indonesia on the above Visa's...for you to legally work on Bali, that is going to be very difficult imho.
An employer would have to apply for a workingpermit and KITAS (license to live in Indonesia for 12 months) in your name, spend money (USD1200) for the workingpermit, and on top of that the costs of the KITAS. So pretty much a long shot that's going to happen, ofcourse there are people working without the correct papers, but that's up to you ofcourse. But trust me, it's better you don't for various reasons...

Hope this helps a bit.

lmoreira

Jul 24, 2011
Hey :)

thanks so much for the reply, really. I've been a bit lost and it helps massively. Well...i guess it will be only holidays. I understand what you mean by "it's better if you don't" (work without the papers). It's a very different culture and I do not know the ins&outs.

Again, thank you :)
If you ever need info on Portugal or London, let me know!
Tx
L

sweet Imoreira...

first of all welcome to the forum :)
I don't wanna come across as an ass, but questions like yours have been asked and answered before...alot of times :icon_wink:
But in the spirit of who does good will meet good, here goes..

For you to stay on Bali for a couple of months you would need a visa, this visa is called a Sosial Budaya visum (SOSBUD). To get a visa like this you would need to have an Balinese citizen 'sponsoring' you, meaning you need a copy of the KTP of this person. You (your sponor) also need to write a letter (you can find a sample of this letter on the forum) and he/she needs to sign this letter, then you go to the Indonesian Embassy with your passport and ofcourse this letter and copy of KTP and apply for a sosbud visa...couple of days later you can pick up your passport with the visa stamped into it. This sosbudvisa will allow you to stay in Indonesia for the duration of 60 days, after 50 days you go to the imigration-office to extend your visa for another 30 days (again bring the letter and copy oif KTP)...you can extend this visa a total of 4 times, so you coulds stay here for a total of 180 days.
The problem is I think, you don't know any Balinese person willing to sponsor you yet, a solution might be just coming here without any prior visa application at the embassy back home...at the airport when you arrive, you buy a Visa On Arrival (VOA) this will allow you to stay for 30 days. In those 4 weeks I am sure you will find someone who wants to sponsor you for a SosBud visa. So you've found someone and then you would have to leave the country after those 30 days, go for example to Singapore, and do the above explanation for getting a SosBud at the Embassy there.

Now working is a totally different story, as in you are legally not allowed to work in Indonesia on the above Visa's...for you to legally work on Bali, that is going to be very difficult imho.
An employer would have to apply for a workingpermit and KITAS (license to live in Indonesia for 12 months) in your name, spend money (USD1200) for the workingpermit, and on top of that the costs of the KITAS. So pretty much a long shot that's going to happen, ofcourse there are people working without the correct papers, but that's up to you ofcourse. But trust me, it's better you don't for various reasons...

Hope this helps a bit.

lmoreira

Jul 24, 2011
hey :)

I have family in Timor since last month...! Thus, and because I will then move there, eventually, Bali is a mandatory stop :)

lmoreira

Jul 24, 2011
wow, that's cool...
keep in touch imoreira, and if there's anything else you want to ask or share...just give a hollar :)

thanks ;) i got a bit surprised by the first reply I got to my first thread...but I guess SassyOz was in a bad mood.

I will probably be asking more questions. Thanks for the patience!

Micbali

Jul 13, 2011
60 day visa

Hi Imoreira,
If you are only doing a 2 month holiday/stop in Bali, then you can apply for a 60 day visa before you arrive in Bali

For this you do not need to have a sponsor and it gives you 60 days
You do need to submit a copy of your return ticket or itinerary with your application
Your ticket return date will need to show that you are only staying for this time (ie not longer than 60 days)

If wishing to stay longer, as Gilbert said, you will need to apply for a Sosial Budaya/Social Visa which does require a sponsorship/letter of invitation

(Both these visa are Visitor Single Entry Visa with the former being a Tourist Visa & the latter a Social–Cultural Visa)

If you are in Portugal there is the The Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia in Lisbon's website:
Under Consular & Visa
(Sorry unable to post a link as yet)

Another option is to get the VOA on arrival & extend for another 30 days once you are in Bali
This option however is not as convenient as already arriving with a 60 day visa

As for working, none of these visas permit you to do so.
Although many do work illegally on these visas (eg as agents assisting with tourist accommodation, tours via the internet etc ) it is not a good idea or recommended :icon_e_smile:

alphonso

May 26, 2011
thanks ;) i got a bit surprised by the first reply I got to my first thread...but I guess SassyOz was in a bad mood.

SassyOz is correct, though.

Since you want to stay for "a couple of months" just get a 60 day tourist visa before you leave your country and forget the alternatives (VOA/extension hassle; overseas SosBud/sponsor/extension hassle)

Seli

Aug 13, 2011
Sosbud

sweet Imoreira...

Is there no way to get around the sponsorship and get a 60 day renewal visa from abroad? Are these rules still in place? Thanks

sensibilita

Sep 6, 2011
Bali, Europe, and Melbourne
visas and employers

Imomeira,

the other thing to be aware of is that some employers will play with your visa-status. To give you an example, a Chinese-run school-network, Penabur, in Jakarta and elsewhere, regularly hire foreign workers, and then tell them that their kitas-status is being processed, when nothing happens! If you complain, they will remind you that you are doing something illegal, to shut up, or they will get you deported! Sometimes they get sued ... a foreigner has recently sued them, and won, but these holier-than-thou Chinese businessmen running these schools — no pribumis allowed — have still refused to pay compensation!

These Bible-toting hypocrites are all over Jakarta and other places ... maybe in the minority in Bali. But just remember that, whatever the law is, money can get anything accomplished in Indonesia, and if your visa-status is weak, or frail, someone may take the opportunity to exploit you!

So use your instincts well!

sensibilita

Sep 6, 2011
Bali, Europe, and Melbourne
Multiple entry business visa, class 212

Hey Imoreira,

if you want to do some business, it's best to go for a business-visa. Here are some suggested costs for that. It includes a company sponsorship!

Visa code is number 212 and it is a multiple-entry business visa.

By holding a multiple-entry business visa, you can visit indonesia anytime and each arrival would be given for max. 60 days within 12 months.
Actually, the way the stamp-renewal works, you will get 14 months out of that!

If you have previously held such a visa, it will cost you ca. IDR. 4,000,000. But if you have never been holding this type of visa, the price is IDR. 5,500,000
(iso IDR. 6,000,000) as it is jumping without holding 2x single business visa.

You would need: a copy of your passport :

a. Page of personal details
b. Page of any kind of visa entry into Indonesia
c. 2 (two) blank pages.

Telex visa would normally be available within 10 business day from the date of accepting the application. You pick this up at your Embassy or Consulate-
General!

Hope this helps .... Business Visa is really best for anyone contemplating doing business-meetings, etc.