Carving Countries

Sep 24, 2014
Hi there,

In November this year I am setting off to cycle across Asia, part of a personal project to document wood carving across this vast continent. From the big carving factories to the small local wood carvers, from the islands of Indonesia and hills of northern Thailand, to the mountains of Nepal and plains of India. Travelling through over 14 countries and interviewing hundreds of carvers I hope to get an accurate representation of carving throughout the continent.

My first country on this journey is Bali.

I am in the process of gathering contacts and information and would love to hear if you know of any specific woodcarvers in Bali I should include, or particular carving sites.
I'm looking to find a weeks carving tuition with a traditional woodcarver (looking for a bit more than a one day course), if anyone has any contacts or knows of someone interested in helping I would love to hear.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you,

Will Barsley

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
The prime place for quality wood carving in Bali is in the village of Mas. It is 6 km. south of Ubud. Once there you will have no problem locating carvers.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Exactly what he said. I would only add that you should look around amongst the craftsmen there in Mas and pick the style you like and then start to bargain about your week's tuition. You may have more luck in the backstreets as many of the mainstreet vendors are just selling on what is carved in Javanese factories.

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
Hi there,

In November this year I am setting off to cycle across Asia, part of a personal project to document wood carving across this vast continent. From the big carving factories to the small local wood carvers, from the islands of Indonesia and hills of northern Thailand, to the mountains of Nepal and plains of India. Travelling through over 14 countries and interviewing hundreds of carvers I hope to get an accurate representation of carving throughout the continent.

My first country on this journey is Bali.

I am in the process of gathering contacts and information and would love to hear if you know of any specific woodcarvers in Bali I should include, or particular carving sites.
I'm looking to find a weeks carving tuition with a traditional woodcarver (looking for a bit more than a one day course), if anyone has any contacts or knows of someone interested in helping I would love to hear.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you,

Will Barsley

I don't know anything about woodcarving, but that is some trip you are planning on a bike. I would imagine it would be a whole different ball-game cycling in these countries to cycling in Europe. Cycling in Bali I have found is not too bad once you get used to it: every single car/bus/bike/truck overtaking you will toot its horn at you to let you know they are there. Quite what you are supposed to do with this information I am not sure. Just watch out for the tourist buses (Bus Pariwisata), they are under the impression they own the road and will try and kill you at every opportunity.

Good luck on your trip (from an ex-touring cyclist, around Australia in 1983, when the world was a saner place than it is now).

I've taken the liberty of adding a link to your web-site.

http://www.carvingcountries.com/

Regards
Sam

Last edited:

Carving Countries

Sep 24, 2014
Hi guys,

Thanks for the tips, I will try to make Mas one of the first ports of call when I arrive.

Sam thank you for posting the link to my site, I was unable to post the link due to my status as a new member on here. Your ride around Australia sounds incredible!! I followed a guy called Mark Beaumont who broke the record for cycling around the world a few years ago and his section across Australia looked really tough!! He filmed the journey which the bbc made into some incredible documentaries, you can find it on youtube I think. Thanks for the tips for Bali cycling, I heard it is much quieter than Java, which we may avoid cycling through. I heard Lombok is meant to be even quieter roads than Bali, but do you think as much wood carving there?

Thanks again for the support!

Best,
Will

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
Been to Lombok( east Timor area) a few times. Roads are way less traffic then Bali.drivers actually look before making a left turn to see oncoming traffic. not see ny rel wood carving places but lots of other shops.Personally I think Ubud area is your best bet.