MiSO

Jul 29, 2009
I know, some of you will laugh...but I am really thinking about buying a bicycle...
Anyone experience with buying one? (what, where...etc.)

Pa_Yan

Dec 9, 2005
Re: Buying a bicycle on Bali...

I bought a bicycle last year at a shop at Jalan Hasanudin in Denpasar. It was a childrens mountainbike and costed around Rp 600.000. In 2006 I bought a simple womans bicycle at the same shop and it was around Rp 700.000. Jalan Hasanudin is the gold street in Denpasar, so be sure to walk into the right shop... :)

MiSO

Jul 29, 2009

:?:
Huh? That cheap...? I need a solid '2 wheel drive' bike... :D

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com

Go check out the Bike shops Miso there are plenty all over or you can play safe and shop at Carrefour or the Hypermarket. I have bought several bikes and usually have opted for mid range as we rent them. Nothing strange to be thought about you buying a bike!

noodles

Apr 27, 2009
Unhappy in Singapore

widder said:
are you going to wear a helmet?

@So, in Bali my net result is the bike can go at speeds faster than a taxi and keep up relatively safe well with low-speed traffic, Particularly interesting is that you wanna buy a motobike helmet when u ride on a bicycle. :wink:

motormouth

Aug 29, 2009
Canggu

MiSo, I ride a bike here in Bali everyday...well when it's not raining as is tday. There is a medim price shop just up from Ramayana called Jayakarta.I brught my bke from there. Prices range from 7million all the way up tp 30 million for a decent cross trainer bike.At the high end there is an excellent shop on the by bass road past the Jimaran turn on the right, it is called The Bike Shop, run by a German guy, I get my bike serviced there. The bikes are expensive, all imported, from 20 million up to 60 million. Pick the store which suits yor budget. Don't go for the 2-3 millions ones , they arecheap and north it ...many repairs.

MiSO

Jul 29, 2009

widder said:
MiSo - are you going to wear a helmet? are your going to ride on the footpath? are you going to post a photo? :p

Yeah, on the motorbike ('backseat') I don't wear a helmet, but when I ride a bike I will be needing one... haha...I will transforming from a slowy to a speedy...
I rode bike this week and I was flying...on the footpath, between cars, motorbikes... A traffic jam? Not in a bike's world...

mimpimanis said:
Go check out the Bike shops Miso there are plenty all over or you can play safe and shop at Carrefour or the Hypermarket. I have bought several bikes and usually have opted for mid range as we rent them. Nothing strange to be thought about you buying a bike!

People laugh when I tell them I want to buy a bike, 'too hot', 'too slow', 'why not a motorbike? a bicycle is for babies..."
Will have a look Mimpimanis, thanks. As you rent them, I am sure they are solid enough.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009

I bought a bike after reading the fitness thread on the forum. I avoid riding on the main road in Lovina, but the other streets are reasonably safe. I only wish people rode bicycles more here. I am pretty sure most people aren't going far anyway.

motormouth

Aug 29, 2009
Canggu

Good on you Spicyayam, must go with being the owner of the forum, I believe Bert rode as well. I ride with the daily commute here in the south every day. Haven't had any problem yet as far as crashes go. Nearly got taken out today by a lady making a left turn just as she past me, she didn't look, and proceeded to turn into me. I'm one step ahead of the foolish motorbike riders here, just have to concentrate and yell loudly when they get too close. Have been known to push people away or squirt them with my water bottle...hey it's all in the interests of self preservation.
As for the costs of the expensive bikes, just a suggestion as I don't know the budget MiSo is on. But yes, they are expensive. I was told the owner of Made's warung is a bike fanatic, he gets a new one imported every 3 months, he owns 20+ bikes and the last one cost @ 60million :shock: I must admit I don't wear a helmet :, I also use an ipod when riding :twisted:

motormouth

Aug 29, 2009
Canggu

Yeah, my bike was only @ 9million, but I have added and changed a few thingswhich has bumped tecst up. For 2.5 million I wouldn't advise using that for any sort of of road riding... the forks and frame of that price bike aren't suitable for it. The 20-60 million bikes are the high end stuff, for serious downhill riders. These bikes would be just as expensive anywhere. :D

hazman

Mar 8, 2010
it depend on what kind of bike do you need....if you're looking bicycle for trekking, passing the hill street, it won't be cheap...because that kind of bike would much useful in bali than a bike that i use...for your information, i'm using a folding bike, which is the largest wheel only 20"...everyday i bike from my place to my office about 3 kilometres... but i feel like my legs are about to be separated from my body,heheh...there's a lot of climbing road on that 3 kilometres...

but if you're looking the cheap one, or you can ask any suggestion or some advice from the shopkeeper, at Jalan Gunung Agung, i forgot the name...but there is only one bicycle shop at jalan gunung agung, denpasar

Jesse

Feb 16, 2010
Melbourne
hazman is right. A folding bike would be more convenient in this type of terrain. Trekking is a good hobby when you stay in Bali.

hermit

Aug 19, 2010
Bona gianyar
Bike shops

hazman is right. A folding bike would be more convenient in this type of terrain. Trekking is a good hobby when you stay in Bali.

A few years ago i have been looking for bikes with bigger wheels and frames,as most bikes here are for shorter people.In the affordable range:Bikeshop on jalan raya Tuban(or jalan raya Kuta,not sure where the name changes)On jalan Kartika,just north of the big Pasar in Denpasar are two or three shops,good for comparing prices.The offer of bikes with bigger wheels is limited.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
Hai pelpinda..
when driving into Singaraja on Jl.Ahmad Yani (main road), you will get to a intersection with trafficlights..you can only go right or left at that intersection, you go left..
that's Jl. Diponegoro...after +- 400 meters there's a T-section..exactly there on the rightside-corner is a bicycle shop.

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
Hai pelpinda..
when driving into Singaraja on Jl.Ahmad Yani (main road), you will get to a intersection with trafficlights..you can only go right or left at that intersection, you go left..
that's Jl. Diponegoro...after +- 400 meters there's a T-section..exactly there on the rightside-corner is a bicycle shop.
Next door but one [around the corner] is where I bought one this year. Simply because I was quoted a cheaper price for the same bike.