kiteman

Sep 13, 2013
#7. Sorry but this is not true for Perth. In mid January 2015 I applied as usual and supplied my itinerary which clearly shows return 30 June 2015 (i.e 5 months, actually 147 days). Last year 2 trips 3 and 4 months.
In the past 2 years I have never been asked 1 question. Never had any info on my applications queried. Just take a ticket, wait turn, hand everything over, pay with visa credit card. $120 for 2 people. As said before return in 4 days pick up our passports.
It is so easy!

Thank you for that Normy. I will do that next time. It's just easier to go to the local Post Office than drive 25km each way to the Perth Consulate, find a parking spot, queue up etc. I assumed the applications go to and from Canberra by diplomatic bag (by plane).
Can I assume it was a 211 Tourist Visa that you were applying for?

Normy

Jul 22, 2012
Perth, Sanur
The Jan '15 was a social. A young women in Seminyak supplied a sponsor letter and her ktp. These were sent to me as email attachments which I printed out. These were accepted without query. These were provided free on understanding she did the extensions. First one done with minimum of fuss. Cheaper than the guy last year who also charged for sponsor letter.
As Davita says although 211 visa sponsor's name is shown on the visa.
We live closer to cbd. A bus, train, and bus down the Terrace gets us there in about 45 mins. Next time I will take bank statements but will only provide if asked too. Like most other forum members I still think its worth all the hassles. At the moment sitting in the apt. watching pool guy doing his job 1.5 metres from where I sit.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
To support a 60 day Tourist visa (without a sponsor) they may require a recent bank statement from the applicant. This has been deemed necessary as many tourists have entered RI, had accidents, and not enough money or insurance to cover their medical bills. There was a Draft Bill in the last government to say that visitors would need to leave a deposit, or a copy of insurance, in case of medical bills...fortunately that Bill seems to have died.

To support a Sosbud visa (sponsor required) they may require a recent bank statement from the sponsor. This is to ensure they have enough funds to cover similar accidents/incidents to the person they are sponsoring.

When I applied for a B212 (Multi-entry Sosbud) in Jakarta they wanted to interview my sponsor, to authenticate his existence, but relented to a phone call after seeing he was a ranking civil servant.

Normy

Jul 22, 2012
Perth, Sanur
Thanks Davita. I always have adequate travel insurance for entire visa period. I will take policy when applying. This with our bank statements might satisfy them.

Have been reading this thread with interest as I will be coming to Bali again next month for about 5 months. I'm a little confused esp about the return ticket requirement. I have been told by three different people on the plane from Bali that they didn't have a return ticket and have never been asked for one at arrival in Bali (They get the one month VOA) They don't get a return ticket because usually, they can get a much better deal when they buy a one way from Bali to Perth. That sounds a bit risky to me but three separate people on the plane said they do it several times a year.
My preference would be to get a two month social visa here in Perth and renew via agent once I'm there. I was going to get a return ticket dated for around five months ahead but if the embassy rejects this, I am out of pocket a fare because I will have to change it if they pick up on the dates and don't allow it. Another way is to apply for a retirement visa once I'm in Bali and connected with a sponsor who can help facilitate this. But either way, it still means I have to pay for a return airfare I may never use...either because the embassy in Perth rejects the five month return date or because I've organised a retirement visa and don't need it. Seems like a waste of a few hundred dollars.
Normy, your experience has instilled some confidence in me. But the difference is I don't have a sponsor yet. I can supply bank statement and medical cover tho.
Can someone shed some light on this issue for me?

Last edited:

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Use an agent to sponsor you. The consulate in Perth will accept a return ticket for 5 months from date of arrival, if you are applying for a social visa. Or you can buy an exit ticket to Singapore (or anywhere else out of the country). It just must be within the 180 days from your arrival date in Indonesia.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Hi MelanieD
I agree Immigration rules are confusing...it seems to be planned that way so the officer has carte blanche to reject or profit from visitors.

The first thing is present yourself well as in dress and manner and 'truthfulness' (i.e. have a plausible story)...For example...Q. "Where are you staying?" A. "In a hotel" Q. "Let me see your reservation". and if you don't have one expect to be further interviewed.....or A. "With a friend" Q. "What's your friends name and address?" Have one ready.

2nd. It isn't normal for VOA to have a 'return' (Matsaleh is correct it can be to anywhere out of RI) ticket checked but can be a reason for rejection as above. I've heard some people just have a credit card to show they plan to leave. A VOA is only for 30 days and extendable for another 30 days then leave and return....a ticket to Singapore or KL can be cheap if planned ahead....although not as cheap as previous years.

3rd. A Social Budaya Visa (Sosbud) requires a sponsor in Indonesia even when initially applying in Perth. Matsaleh has given proper information on that..
If you arrive on a VOA and then get sponsorship for a Sosbud you will still need to leave RI then get the Sosbud stamped in another country RI Embassy/Consul.

4th. A Retirement Visa is not useful for someone coming for only 5 months....the Visa and the mandatory MERP for 1 year will cost at least IDR10 M...others can advise if there are better deals from their agents.

In your case Matsaleh has advised to get an agent to sponsor for a Sosbud issued in Perth and I concur. Another way is apply for a Tourist 60 day visa and, when here in Bali, see if it can be extended by yourself, or by an agent, but be prepared with a plan B....if rejected.

Last edited:

Normy

Jul 22, 2012
Perth, Sanur
Hello Melanie, matsaleh has given you the info on the return ticket issue. From past posts it seems some airlines are insistent that you have a return flight. Something about protecting them should you be refused entry into Indonesia, they would have to pay the cost of your return.
I will PM you particulars of the sponsor I use. Also welcome to the forum.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Thanks so much to you both for your sound advise. The sosbud sounds like the way to go. I may have a sponsor but I'm not sure if I can get hold of him as he's travelling away from Bali right now. Anyone have any recommendations?
Nearly any agent will do it for you. I use Aris at Immigration Service Bali - Expatrust Bali - Home Send him an email, asking for a quote to sponsor you.

Whichever agent provides sponsorship, you will need to use for your extensions. I'm sure other members can also give you recommendations.

Zep66

Feb 27, 2014
The 2 month tourist visa has NEVER been extendible. What your talking about was the exploitation of a loophole, which still exists, as far as I know.

It's not LIKE the Sosial Budaya visa IT IS the Sosial Budaya visa.

The visa number for the 2 month Tourist Visa and the Sosial Budaya Visa just so happen to be the same (211). So when you go to an agent, or go to the immigration office yourself, all your doing is pretending that you already have the Sosial Budaya visa. From the immigration office's point of view, they can't tell the difference.

It's a pretty handy loophole, I've used it a few times in the past. When you go to the immigration office, you just say "I'd like to extend this visa, please". They'll look at your passport and give you the forms for extending a Sosial Budaya visa. You DON'T say "I'd like to extend this 2 month Tourist visa". Because then the jig is up.

Just be aware, the two visa types share the same number (211) for social visa and 60 day tourist visa, but on the visa sticker that is put in your passport from the embassy, the difference is the social visa has the sponsors name printed on it, where as the 60 day tourist visa does not.

To me it's obvious, as I have both in my passport.

DenpasarHouse

Aug 13, 2013
Just be aware, the two visa types share the same number (211) for social visa and 60 day tourist visa, but on the visa sticker that is put in your passport from the embassy, the difference is the social visa has the sponsors name printed on it, where as the 60 day tourist visa does not.

To me it's obvious, as I have both in my passport.

Thanks Zep66, good to know.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
When I used to apply for Sosbuds in Vancouver, KL and Hong Kong my sponsor's bank statement (no later than past 3 months) was always required....but that was a few years ago.
As a retirement visa must be sponsored by a licensed agent the first application required my statement from overseas to qualify to the agent....but nothing since. The agent, as my sponsor, does all the work for annual extensions.....of course, for a hefty fee.

edit: Just realized the OP on this thread is about Visas issued in Australia...so info, like mine, on what other countries do is probably not relevant.
Most Missions abroad employ local staff...generally it is only the senior staff that are, in fact, Indonesian citizens. Australian staff are probably more empathetic when approached about visa issues.

Last edited:

klaatu

Mar 14, 2014
Blimbingsari banyuwangi and Denpasar
Is that the social visa Normy? Seems highly unlikely. Neither my sponsor or I needed a bank statement for my social visa. You may need one for retirement or business visa.

i applied for a sosbud visa at Darwin in October, there is a sign at the window and they ask YOU for a 3 month bank statement My wife was with me and although we had already printed and signed a sponsor letter they provide a pre-printed sponsor form that you fill in with your/her details.Usually takes about 5 working days and i don't believe they send your passport anywhere only check with jakarta for approval possibly! This visa (60 days plus extend 4 times up to 180 days total)is the one that you can convert into Kitas BUT not anymore according to Imigrasi Jember,they want a VITAS instead to convert to ITAS..This is going to be a major hassle if we have to go to Jakarta for pre-approval then leave the country and return again.I might have to use a dreaded agent so they can pass a few bucks onto imigrasi on my behalf aarrgh...Has anyone ever gotten a pre-approval for VITAS before without going personally to Jakarta??

Fred2

Oct 13, 2010
Surabaya/Australia
Are you saying the rules have changed or immigration do not know the rules???Sometime you need to show them the regulations, not uncommon to ask 3 different officers before you get the right answer.

kiteman

Sep 13, 2013
Last March 2015 when I applied for a SosBud Visa by mail from Perth to Canberra I had to send them a copy of my bank account (and have a sponsor of course).