Valentines Poll: Expat Balinese Romances

Can an expat and a Balinese find true romance and be soul mates?

• YES: I prefer them to my own culture/country because they are beautiful.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO: They are out to get you.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dahlia

Oct 4, 2005
Seattle, Washington
My experience in Hard Rock cafe in Kuta. My husband went to the rest room, a woman approached me and asked "how much you charge a night?" :shock: :evil: :(
I jokingly told her it will cost him a month of his pay.

public opini I guess, an asian women with a bule?? she must be somewhat a 'nener'

It hurts, sure, but as Dyah said they are dumb.

pooochie

Aug 8, 2005
UK
Dear All

I am upset now of how people perceive Asian woman…..

If my learned Oom Roy can have his “upset moments” in this forum, surely you all can forgive me if I am having one at this very moment from reading certain posts in this forum and a similar thread on another site (a little bird told me I should read it).

First of all I want to say loud and clear I am very proud to be half Balinese and half Javanese. I am proud to be an Indonesian Woman. To be honest I feel special physically and intellectually to be born as Indonesian. Physically: we are just gorgeous :oops: . Intellectually: gentlemen, lets just say women in general are more intelligent than men :lol:

Getting back to the matter at hand:

1. Am I to understand that a handful of westerners still think they are more superior to Asians. The other day someone told me jokingly that there would never be a mathematician or Nobel prize winner from Bali. And I am willing to bet there will be one in my lifetime (not joking here) and I bet it will be a woman.

2. Matahari, your statement cannot just go unchallenged. Would you be so kind as to elaborate your remark in detail:

Matahari said:
I'v got a strong feeling that many of the indo women/men that has relationships with westerners has some sort of agenda.

I am in completely lost here re agenda. I am an Indonesian married to a westerner. When I married my husband I did not have any sort of agenda and neither did he.

Since you seem to have an opinion of this agenda. May I ask you in the nicest possible way to tell me the typical in general agenda they have. I promise I won’t bite. I look forward to engaging you on this.

Ratih said:
In my experience, people tend(sp) to look at the woman as a gold digger or somewhat a prostitute

Hi Ratih

What are you talking about? I am presuming you are also talking about USA. Do they not have “Equal Opportunity” as we have it in England: I am positive they do have this. Sorry Ratih, women and men these days earn almost the same.. We no longer need men as the provider in the family, having said that more income in the household is always good. I don’t earn as much as my husband as we have different jobs and he has more experience than me. But I am enjoying my freedom to shop and to do anything I want without touching my husband money. In general, women things are cheaper anyway than men toys.

I personally cannot comprehend the term of Gold Digger especially in the 21-century! There is nothing I need from my husband that I cannot acquire it myself. It is nice of him to get me something as a gesture of his love but that’s it.

Thorsten said:
I guess, there will be no place on earth, where a „mixed“ couple will not be confronted with this kind of prejudice, strange sentiments or even latent racism sometimes.

Hi Thorsten

I actually never experienced racism towards me in my marriage or in past mixed relationships, none that I can think of anyway. I find where I live in the UK to be a very friendly place.

Towards myself:
Most people that I met in US and Europe tends to be interested in my heritage. I do feel that I have the edge with being Balinese. Every time people ask me where I am from and I say Bali they always say ‘what in paradise’ or something similar, even after the bombs. I am proud to say where I am from. I don’t feel prejudice at work and personal life. Not to say I never heard bad stories from fellow Indonesians but I never experienced it towards me. I have to admit I do live in quite a prestigious area of the city, so this may be why.

Mixed relationships:
I do feel mixed marriages are quite common things in the western world. As said earlier I have not experienced racism toward my husband or myself in seven years of our marriage.

Thorsten said:
Yes Dyah, they are only dumb and the best way to deal with this stupidity is to embarrass them.

My suggestion is just to ignore them. Let’s just do as the English says: do as the Royal Family does: ignore them or don’t do business with them. They are simply not worth a bother.

Anyway enough for tonight I will go for a swim now to cool my blood.

Many thanks
Ni Luh

Tommy

May 11, 2005
my experience is that in sweden(at least my town) people tend to not openly be bothered by mixed couples. not one person uttered a negative word or even glanced at us during our visit in 2001. In Bali however it can be a more common phenomenon, nasty remarks here and there.. strange looks.. people actually staring at you for no apparent reason. it's tiresome and is one of the main reasons for us sometimes considering the option of moving to sweden. it is truly a major difference of "cultural nasties". in bali people, let me say "dare", to utter nasties without thinking of consequenses. in sweden it's more or less unthinkable to utter similar things unless you want to get a punch in the face.. or worse. I think more open discussions about racism are needed in Indonesia as a whole before people choose to "put a sock in it".

I actually never experienced racism towards me in my marriage or in past mixed relationships, none that I can think of anyway. I find where I live in the UK to be a very friendly place.

As said earlier I have not experienced racism toward my husband or myself in seven years of our marriage.

wow. amazing. If you havn't experienced it.. (ever?) then you're truly up for an experience when you two get back to Bali. Not trying to scare anyone off the island, it's just an unfortunate fact. :?

drbruce

Feb 12, 2004
singaraja, bali
cyberbali.com
Just to chime in here. My wife and I have had a few experiences with nasty comments in Bali - many years ago (when we often were out without the children) and usually in the Kuta area. It happened once in Singaraja with some teenage boys, and my wife and I grabbed one, demanded to know who his parents were, and then dragged him to his house around the corner. Needless to say, his parents were very malu, and the boy...well, he was more than adequately punished for his rudeness.

It's never happened here in Sumbawa, but then as one of the only bules living in a village, I'm fairly well known as are my children and, of course, my wife. Thus, we're seen (so my impression is) as middle-age parents, not young lovers.

Anyway, the experiences we had in Kuta were unpleasant enough that it was years before the two of us went down there again without the children. And yes, racism is a problem in Indonesia that is rarely acknowledged.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Tommy writes:

“If you havn't experienced it.. (ever?) then you're truly up for an experience when you two get back to Bali. Not trying to scare anyone off the island, it's just an unfortunate fact.”

Tommy, I think that depends on where in Bali one decides to settle down. I hate to set myself up again to be called an Ubudian elitist, but the fact is, in all my years here the stories read on this string, the stares, etc.have just not been part of Eri and my experience. Sure, in remote temples participating in ceremonies I get starred at, and that’s understandable as the presence of a bule in full adat in the prayer area is not a common sight. Often my wife will be politely asked about me, and once she explains I’m her husband, out come the hands to shake mine, smiles, and a real welcoming.

I can rely one story which goes back prior to when we were married. So this is eight years ago. I had taken Eri for a nice lunch on the terrace of Kupa Kupa Barong, here in Bunutan, (her native village) and while dining, Eri overheard two young waitresses standing behind her speaking in Balinese refer to her as a “Thai tiger.” She flew to her feet and dressed these two girls down, (in Balinese) to the point that they both broke out in tears. The manager was ready to fire them both on the spot, but Eri intervened and they were able to keep their jobs, lesson well learned. Eri and I talked about that and concluded that racism had nothing to do with it, rather jealously that I was spending on a really nice lunch and a bottle of wine more than either of those two girls made in a month. The girls were not from her village, thus she was not recognized.

Dahlia, your story about what happened to you at Hard Rock Café in Kuta doesn’t surprise me a bit. What else to expect in a night club well known for being a good venue for working ladies to ply their trade? I would never take my wife to any of the café/bars in Kuta, nor does she want to go to any of them. It’s the same scene in many of the bars in Jakarta. In the US, such bars are called “meat markets.” And let’s face it. In such bars men in generally feel quite comfortable acting in a much less gentlemanly manner than they would in another environment.

In my opinion, there is no more of racial ignorance in Bali by the Balinese than anywhere else, and actually, much less. None of the expats I know who are interracially married, living in the Ubud area has ever relayed stories of overt racism along the lines I’ve read here. That it happens in Bali’s Sodom and Gomorrah doesn’t surprise me a bit. As Kim accurately points out, the scene in Ubud is quite a bit different than in southern Bali...in fact, it’s like night and day.

Tommy

May 11, 2005
Roy, I agree with what you're saying. It totally depends on where and the situation. Whenever i go to Pura in "pakaian adat" and pray i've naturally never overheard any rude comments, but more a genuine polite interest. I've lived in Kuta for several years but never walked the streets there with my fiancé.. and i probably never will. We've been around Denpasar alot since my move there in 2002 and the atmosphere is more relaxed, belive it or not. I also "juggle with the thought" that age makes a difference in how people judge you. I'm sure your appearance and being elderly (not old!) invites people to be more respectful... as they should. I could never ever imagine myself moving to or living in either Sanur or Kuta/Seminyak as it is already "infested with nasty thoughts". I wouldn't go as far as comparing Ubud to all of south Bali as "night & day", but for sure.. some parts in the south is definately the total opposite to your village, which probably is in many ways ideal. The comfort of ones large family makes all the difference in the world and that's why i belive its much better to live with or close to ones village.

I don't think there's more/less (how to measure?) racial ignorance in Bali but i might dare to say that it is expressed abit differently and sometimes more boldly in public. I can only compare to Sweden and Singapore as those are the only other places we've been to apart from Bali. We've never experienced this "chatter behind the back", odd looks and people staring anywhere else. Sometimes you can actually hear eyes pop out and jaws dropping to the ground as we pass by... Maby it's because we're such a darn cute couple? :lol:

ColinF

Jan 12, 2006
Ni Luh....I'm sure the impression is incorrect, but you do come across as a little naive on the subject of racism here in Indonesia. In Europe most countries have strict laws on this and things that can be said or not - perhaps you are judging by your current environment and forgetting how it can be back home? Here there are no such laws and, as normal, the law would be ignored even if it did exist! :roll:
My wife is Javanese and we have lived here on Bali all of our 13 years of marriage. For the first half of that time we did indeed have to put up with that sort of puerile and offensive garbage from all sorts of local people - on our very first evening here, after returning from dinner, I went to the hotel reception desk for our room key while my wife waited in the lobby. An arrogant Balinese(not orang Jawa) hotel security man went to her and to her face asked her what kind of business she thought she was making in HIS hotel!! I was not told of this until next morning when I realized she was upset over something managed to extract the cause, but I then went straight to the manager and complained strongly and loudly. The guy was quite rightly fired! However, the same jealous stupidity was found to be common including taxi/bemo drivers, police, local government officials etc. We eventually took to always carrying a copy of our Indonesian marriage certificate - what a pathetic necessity!! :shock: :(
Things have changed now and we rarely experience it...we are both older now, never visit Kuta/Legian etc where it was worst, but perhaps most of all my wife has a very different attitude these days - no more the malu little Indonesian woman who "knows her place", be the perpetrator a taxi driver, a local layabout (and there are many!), policeman or local government official, their first comment will receive an immediate and vocal response plus a demand from me to talk to their superior. This is not the way one wishes to act, :oops: but we found it always produced an immediate apology and no further rudeness in that office, and perhaps this more confident attitude in both my wife and I shows, as we've not experienced it in years now. Actually I'm rather surprised that it has reared it's ugly head on this forum, as I thought that, with the great increase in the numbers of mixed marriages here now it was a thing of the past. Some hope, I guess! :roll:
Colin.

Tommy

May 11, 2005
no more the malu little Indonesian woman who "knows her place", be the perpetrator a taxi driver, a local layabout (and there are many!), policeman or local government official, their first comment will receive an immediate and vocal response plus a demand from me to talk to their superior.

I salute your wife for doing this! :idea: We need more women who can tell these dogs to "SIT!".

ColinF

Jan 12, 2006
Dead right, Tommy. If they'd all acquire the 'guts' to stand up for themselves like this we wouldn't read so many cases of abuse, especially of pembatus overseas!!
Colin

Git

Jul 16, 2005
dutch /indonesian in the usa for now
Dear Ni Luh
Your post dated Feb01 was just wonderfull,thank you for the eloquent replies to some of the negative remarks.
You would think in this century we as humans would of come a long way by now regards human interaction and respect for each other,but i gues not......we are still so animalistic.
Yes i am also of mixed marriage myself dutch javanese,husband American Indian Navajo. Since he looks indonesian we dont have this problem we look like we came from the same part of this planet.

Regards my personal expierences an incident where a verry young balanese dancer started making sexual passes at my married uncle (in his 60's dutch indonesian ) my aunt was verry uncomfortable at this subtle nuance thus forbidding me to take a photograph of the two together,so yes in this case a young balinese female trying to flirt with my married older uncle.What she ultimately wanted 'i dont know',but it made everyone uncomfortable.

Gina Tyler

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Gentlemen...Pak Tommy and Pak Colin....GREAT posts. My only “beef” is with Tommy. Hey! What’s up with this?

“I'm sure your appearance and being elderly (not old!) invites people to be more respectful... as they should.”

Elderly? Geez! I’m not even eligible yet for social security benefits or to dip into my retirement account! It’s not like I’m stumbling around Bali using a walker! I know you were just “yanking on my chain.” Jimbo will tell you the same as me....life begins after 40, and it just gets better. :D :D :D

Getting serious now...Tommy, have you considered a change within Bali as opposed to such a radical change as moving to Sweden? I don’t mean to get personal, but you have acclimated to Bali so very, very well, it would be a shame, (and a loss for Bali) if you left.

Pak Colin writes,

“Actually I'm rather surprised that it has reared it's ugly head on this forum, as I thought that, with the great increase in the numbers of mixed marriages here now it was a thing of the past.”

Exactly my thoughts Colin. Many thanks too for sharing your story. Gentlemen, it’s posts like yours that makes a forum. Selamat.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Ni Luh, I loved your post. You have a great deal in common with my wife who, like you, always looks for the positive in her life. She is not naïve, and neither are you.

Your strength, to the degree you are willing to share it, is amazing. Eri is also very strong, and I admire her ability to contain it, while I just “go off.” I admire beyond words her ability to maintain self control but yet get her point across without confusion or misunderstanding. Moreover, there is never a change in her voice pitch, or even a facial hint. WOW! Her reluctance to post here has more to do with that, than the constraints on her time. And, while I cannot say with certainty, I sometimes wonder why Bert’s wife, Dewi is not a participant here. I know why....so do you, so does Eri. The reason is, these things just cannot be explained in any language...but your soul-mate understands completely.

It’s a common thread among the Balinese to try to concentrate on the good side of life, and while others may construe this as naiveté, I fully understand the essential aspect of Balinese culture to not dwell on the negative.

For several years I have been trying to get Eri’s grandfather to sit down and tell me what he experienced during the Japanese occupation, and the great anti-communist purge here. It won’t happen...EVER. Once the Balinese have purified the event, it’s over and done with...not to be recorded in history, as the Balinese never think of their history...just their ancestors.

Ni Luh, you have done a great job, in my opinion, (as have other Indonesian women) on this forum trying to hit on the aspects of Balinese culture that are so hard, if not impossible to define or explain in any language. These indefinable aspects have to be lived and experienced to be understood.

Good job Ni Luh. I surely hope you keep up the good work. Jabber is a lucky man...and so am I.

jill

Jul 30, 2005
Alexandra new zealand
this may be a silly question ... but most of you that seem to get the agro are western men with asian woman ????

So far i have had no bad comments at all when i'm with benny ...
but saying that I am prepared for them as is he

and thats around Legian Seminyak aira guys also spend alot of time in Denpasar

ColinF

Jan 12, 2006
Why, thank you for those comments, young Roy! 8) And I do agree, life DOES begin at 40....actually I decided enough was enough at 39 and there I stopped. No more birthdays after that and I've now been 39 for over 20 years - works just fine for me! :wink: :D

Change of subject.....I'm afraid I'll be away from the forum for 10 days or so (are those sighs of relief I hear?), got to go up to Palau in the Carolines while the resident engineer takes a vacation. Well, somebody has to do it, I guess. :wink: :D
Now that place really IS a paradise...for divers and game fishermen etc, but unfortunately it's not on the same level of economy as Bali! :shock: :(
Ciao for now.....Colin.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Have a great trip Pak Colin. We'll be looking forward to your return, and your wisdom. Selamat jalan!

Tommy

May 11, 2005
Getting serious now...Tommy, have you considered a change within Bali as opposed to such a radical change as moving to Sweden? I don’t mean to get personal, but you have acclimated to Bali so very, very well, it would be a shame, (and a loss for Bali) if you left.

Thank you for the kind words. I belive you when you say life begins after 40. Right now i'm just glad to have made it to 30 and i hope i'll last to make it to 40. I really can't tell at this point where we'll end up. We have discussed the option of moving to Sweden a few times over the years but frankly i have always found Bali more appealing. A "time-out" from it all is good though. In Sweden or Singapore we can walk hand-in-hand without any nasty looks or comment. In Bali.. ehr..no.. and that can suck the life and spirit out of any couple. So, we "keep" all our moments for hand-in-hand walks etc for visits abroad as Bali at this time.. is just not the place for this. At least, that's what i've experienced, seen and heard from pretty much everywhere we've been around this magical island.

Ratih

Nov 3, 2004
U.S.A
This is a respond to Ni Luh's comment about my post. When I said people tend to look at the woman as a gold digger what I meant was people who I have encountered while I was in Bali.
Like Isaid, your experience may be different. You may never encountered those people who yelled at you saying "A Gold Digger." while you were with your forein man. Unfortunately, I did encounter those kind of people, several times. This was what I was talking about.

Yes, we have equal opportunity here in the U.S. I believe in equality, too. if not why am I chasing as much education as I am doing right now?