Valentines Poll: Expat Balinese Romances

Can an expat and a Balinese find true romance and be soul mates?

• YES: I prefer them to my own culture/country because they are beautiful.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO: They are out to get you.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Well I would have to choose the second one, as I spent 10 years I guess between the age of 22 and 32 trying to find the right one and it turned out to be a lovely Balinese angel. She was the first I ever proposed to and we are still together after 16 years. There have been hard times especially the first year, probably due to miss understanding due to cultural differences. Gee on my honeymoon I took my wife to a small country town in the south west of Western Australia because I thought a lovely quiet place would be best. How wrong I was, my wife hated being in this half deserted town (holiday town off season) and asked me to invite my brother and sister down with their kids and then she was happy. Well after this I knew I was on a steep learning curve. Still learning by the way.

Lee

Nov 4, 2004
Bali
Poochie, Valentines Day for me will pass by unnoticed :( just like birthdays and anniversaries by my husband (Balinese) he doesn’t have a romantic bone in his body. Is there such a thing as a romantic Balinese male?

pooochie

Aug 8, 2005
UK
Lee said:
Poochie, Valentines Day for me will pass by unnoticed just like birthdays and anniversaries by my husband (Balinese) he doesn’t have a romantic bone in his body. Is there such a thing as a romantic Balinese male

Hi Lee

All men can be romantic, they just sometimes need a push.

:idea: Just take away something he loves :wink: and he will respond by giving you whatever you like :lol:

Hi Davo

Got to think about your post, get back to you later.

Ni Luh

Tommy

May 11, 2005
Singarajasil,
I live in Denpasar. I do know of the cases of pedophelia that has been told by the media, but i don't see how this proves that it is commonplace in Bali. I got the impression we were discussing our own observations and not what the media reports. I have seen nothing nor heard anything even remotly close or that can be related to pedophelia in my parts. I've seen prostitutes yes, pedophiles or "suspicious-looking elderly men with young boys".. none whatsoever. As for what's going on in northern parts of Bali.. i have no idea. I reckon kids in general aren't running round without supervision as much down south compared to the villages up north. Maby this makes the southern parts less "inviting". As Roy has pointed out before, many areas are like night and day in comparison and i'm sure this is also the case for Denpasar and northern Bali in this respect.

Tommy

May 11, 2005
Gina,
Two colors from "mom & dad" make up a "two-colored" child?... nah, i don't buy that perception at all. :) Though you often mention you have dutch and indonesian parents.. you always seem to leave out that you live in America? Arn't you a US citizen? Doesn't that make you dutch/indonesian/american.. or more correctly an American?

myself i'm two colors (half dutch half indonesian)

dahlia

Oct 4, 2005
Seattle, Washington
Dear All,

I think the discussion should go back to the purpose of this thread, Valentines and expat romances in Bali or other parts of Bali.
May be the moderator can open a new thread to discuss about pedophiles, predators or whatever you guys name it.

Niluh,

I like the second pic, cute :wink:

Thanks

Tommy

May 11, 2005
yes.. Bert if you're up for it, please remove our pedophile-discussion to a new Topic. You might want to delete this post too afterwards.. :wink:

Git

Jul 16, 2005
dutch /indonesian in the usa for now
Dear Singarajahsil

I was asked to make puppets for a puppet theatre in bali.
I asked why,i was told because the pedophellia was so rampant the only way children could be warned is through watching a puppet show.
no that is pretty serious............
yes you can move this subject somewhere else but it does need to be discussed not everything is roses.

Tommy if you need firsthand information on this subject give the head of crisisclinic in lovina a call.........you will be verry well informed from now on.

Gina Tyler

Tommy

May 11, 2005
Sorry Gina but i almost never go up north... I think i've been to the northern costal-parts may be 10 times.. ever. As i said, i havn't seen anything close to what you describe down south. Kids warned about pedophiles through puppet-shows? I truly belive comparing Denpasar and northern Bali might be as day & night. What you describe sound more like what might be going on in a big-city suburb in Java. Like the nasty stuff aired on the news etc ... :?

truth sayer

Dec 10, 2005
hawaii
I have been off this forum for sometime, I was a bit put off by the by the negative replies. I came on with an open heart, I really really did live in Kuta in 1971, met my husband, Wayan Murna when there were very, very few tourists, what to speak of Westerners married to Balinese. I am speaking of my experience in South Bali, Kuta, Legian, Seminyak, and Denpasar. Bali was such a small population then, it is very difficult for most of you to imagine how tight the communities were. Everyone was in touch with everyone, I could take trips to many places on the island, and NEVER see another white person, what to speak of one married to a Balinese. It was a completely different world from the one most of you know now, COMPLETELY different.

But that isn't my point, this thread is about romance. Well, here is a a classic one, but it doesn't have much of a happy ending.

Murna and I separated in 1979, he left America to go back to Bali, and I stayed in the US, due to pressure from my family. We had no money, and Murna didn't want to get involved in the "exploitation" of Bali by the myriad of greedy people ready to capitalize on the tourist explosion that was in it's infancy. Our 2 sons, Wayan Subali and Made Sugriva stayed with me in America. We didn't see each other, or the boys see their father for over 20 years. Murna never remarried. Neither did I. We only saw each other for the 1st time last year, February 1, 2005. I realized how much I loved this person that I barely knew, but knew him through our sons. I have stayed a Hindu and raised the boys as Hindu's even in America, not an easy task. I wanted to stay on in Bali, but the government wouldn't give me a visa, and I had no money to leave to Singapore and come back, so we are back in Hawaii, hoping to return, especially since Murna is sick with emphysema, and our oldest son hasn't seen his father since he was 5. I think this is a worthy story of a Balinese romance for Valentine's.

I wish I had the ability to post some photo's, but for now, I don't. I hope to in the future, I know many of you would appreciate them. I don't mean to put anyone down, I enjoy reading this forum, but it is such a different Bali from the one I knew, I have a hard time relating to all these discussions. My life in Bali was not one of restaurants and bars and lots of association with other Westerners. I was 100% a Balinese housewife, and rarely even talked with other Westerners. I have remained a practicing Hindu and raised our sons as such, not an easy task in America. We practice Bhakti-yoga, the same as the Balinese, every thing in our lives is about devotion, to our family, to our ancestors, and to the Supreme. forgive me if my life is a bit serious, I know the Balinese have a much happier approach, but that is because they have each other. I have had beautiful Hawaii to lve in and I am blessed, but it is certainly not the same as living in Bali, although they look very similar.

I hope this story will have a happier ending, I am trying very hard to make it back with my son JWayan, hopefully in a few months.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Re: RE: Valentines Poll: Expat Balinese Romances

Tommy said:
yes.. Bert if you're up for it, please remove our pedophile-discussion to a new Topic. You might want to delete this post too afterwards.. :wink:
Tommy, I'm afraid it's not possible on this type of forum to split threads, post by post, so it seems the posts will have to stay.

Tommy

May 11, 2005
ah darn. thanks for lookin into it mats. guess i'll just have to put a sock in it! :lol: valentines day is on the 14th right? that's when i head for bangkok... :oops:

Tommy

May 11, 2005
"truth sayer" (can i call u something else?) i for one think your story is intresting. i didn't get the impression that it was particulary sad except for Murna having emphysema. I hope he can get approperiate treatment or attention. It's not entirely uncommon that children are sometimes seperated from one of the parents when they divorce. It's not "great" but manageble.

Everyone was in touch with everyone, I could take trips to many places on the island, and NEVER see another white person, what to speak of one married to a Balinese. It was a completely different world from the one most of you know now, COMPLETELY different.

Boy am i glad to hear this. I know i'd surely hate to be the only "white person" in Bali. :lol:

We had no money, and Murna didn't want to get involved in the "exploitation" of Bali by the myriad of greedy people ready to capitalize on the tourist explosion that was in it's infancy.

Now this is intresting. The capitalists you mention has given Bali economic strength and made it one of the top tourist-destinations in the world (though now struggling due to u know what..). It has both negative and good sides, but i'm quite sure Bali would be much worse off without a few "greedy exploiters". There is a difference between healthy investement and greedy exploiters. Both surely exist, but i reckon genuine greed is not a major driving-force in the majority of people who do business. It's a matter of survival and progress.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Tommy, I am with you on this...as I too appreciated “truth sayer’s” post very much. It must have been hard for her to share her own pain, and her continued love for Bali.

Truth sayer, your story, (and I agree with Tommy...can we call you something else?) is unique, and many thanks for sharing it with us.

Please do dig up those old photos, scan them, and post them on the expat photo section. We would all love to see what Kuta, and other areas of Bali looked liked through your eyes back then.

When you come back to Bali, with your son, Wayan, it will be a very special experience for you both, (as you well know). As you also well know, there are many balion, priests and holy men that can guide you both through your “re-entry” in Bali. Good luck, and selamat!

truth sayer

Dec 10, 2005
hawaii
Thanks Roy very, very much for your kind and encouraging words. My name is Wayan Kaysie Sulastri, my legal name for over 32 years now. You can call me Ibu Kaysie. I mentioned in an earlier post, that this was the first experience for me on an internet forum, and a friend who has had to hear my Bali stories many times, well, it was his idea to log in as "truth sayer", I think he meant it for me as a compliment.

Since this thread is about romance, I want to try and keep on that topic.
Obviously, I have much to say about Bali, but I will try and bring up some new topics at a later time.

I don't have much to say about my "romance" with Murna, I wrote about it in a post back in Dec. It was very fast, we met and were married in only a few months time. I think part of the romance of my story has been my experience raising 2 Balinese sons, they are 31 and 28 now. Although they are grown men, we remain very close as a family, and my son Wayan lives with me now for the first time in 12 years. They are very Balinese looking, hey Roy, I saw your photos of your adorable little sons, and reminded me so much of my own 2 at the same age. I can't wait to share my photos of mine.

My romance with Bali changed my life forever, even though I haven't been able to actually live there for all these years, my sons and I have been there in spirit and I have tried to live my life according to the Vedic teachings of Bhakti-yoga , which Bali taught me and I have carried thru all my life now. I try not to be too regretful, when the opportunity came way back then to make money off the quickly changing world of "Bali-mania" Murna and I decided that we would rather concentrate on the spritual aspects of what Bali is about. Surely we are all on different paths, but sometimes it is really difficult not to get angry at myself (and Murna) for not jumping on the first wave of money making opportunities of Bali in the mid-70's.

I wish everyone who has been fortunate enough to have married a Balinese person, the very best for their and the childrens future. Bali is so unique and needs so much to be handled with care. We hope that the very special culture will continue to teach us all about what our duties are as humans on this planet. The Balinese culture can help us all to learn, we need only to pay attention.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Ibu Kaysie Sulastri writes:

The Balinese culture can help us all to learn, we need only to pay attention.

Yet another wonderful post from you. Insightful and very personal.

All I can add (to a very well written post) is Om, santi, santi, santi, Om.

As a quick PS, or "Om" I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts.

truth sayer

Dec 10, 2005
hawaii
Again Roy, thanks for making me feel connected. I have really needed it lately. I wanted to say it was interesting that you had mentioned about re-entry into Bali, and having priests to help. Only last night I have been thinking how much my son Wayan needs some Balinese priests and help. He is very much like Murna, although they hardly know each other.

When I met Murna back in the old Kuta days, everyone in Bandjar Tegal warned me that he was not like anyone else. Wow, did that ever prove to be true, and our Wayan Subali is exactly like him, and it isn't always a good thing. Wayan has been diagonsed for several years with clinical depression, he hasn't worked in years now, and barely leaves the house. It is very sad, he is "movie star" handsome ( he lived in Hollywood some years back, has appeared in several MTV videos and a few small movie parts, he had to fight back the Hollywood people "exploiters"). Much like his parents, the lure of big money making opportunities didn't attract him, and he returned to Hawaii, and has been here since.

When I was in Bali a year ago this month (1st time in 29 years) my son Made was with me, but Wayan wasn't able to come because of his dependence on getting drug treatment from the State of Hawaii government, which keeps him "drugged" out on anti-dpressants. Made and I were there for Galungan, and several of our family members can understand that Wayan needs some Balinese healing. They can understand his spirit is very sad not to be in Bali. I agree, but it is hard for him to understand. However, Murna seems to suffer in a similar way, but has been in Kuta all is life, except for the years he came to America. He has a difficult time with the chaos of Kuta, but manages to walk down to his post at the beach and work for Satgas, mostly telling the tourists they can't park on the beach. He is sad and thinks about the past a lot, and misses all the traditional dances and performances. I can't blame him.

So, we are hoping to get them both together, and hopefully some healing of past karma can take place. Anyway, Roy, I think you were reading nto my thoughts, another Balnese magical moment! :D

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Please forgive me for "sticking my nose" where it doesn't belong. But, I may be able to help your son by him meeting my guru/balion. He is especially "effective" with young people, and he has guided my life in Bali for all my years...even though I am no longer young.

His own life story is not so different than your own. His father was Dutch, and his mother, Balinese. He looks 100% Belanda, but inside, he is totally Balinese. As a balion, and para-normal, he is frequently consulted by high priests...I kid you not.

Within the holy room of his compound is housed the best collection of Balineese lontar manuscipts.

If you want to know more, you can PM me and I'll give you the contact information you need. Namaste.

made marko

Jun 12, 2004
Niskala, Berkala
I am pleased to make your aquaintence Ibu Kaysie,
I am somewhat curious that you have chosen Krsna Tattva as your 'signature'.
Do you feel this to be of great import?