Adam

Hi all,

Thought I would post a link to a TV show that the missus and I watched on SBS television a few nights ago. While not Bali, those with an interest in Indonesia generally will find it quite interesting, I'm sure.

[video=youtube;6EWLQw9TiCM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EWLQw9TiCM[/video]

For my (Indo) wife, she was shocked and in the end it brought her to tears. I was shocked too, but for me it more aroused my dislike of the super wealthy and their attitudes that stink more than any Jakartan trash pile.

On a deeper level, it got me thinking about 2 things that apply to Indonesia specifically and the world in general. Firstly, what chance realistically does this country (and many, many like it) have of ever becoming clean? Secondly, at what point are the underpriviledged majority of this country gunna grow some balls and stand up to greedy few who have far more than their fair share? I realise this is an issue globally, even in highly developed countries like here in Oz the disparity between the haves and the have nots is widening annually, but we don't have a hundred million or more civilian troops battling away on the bread line that could be mobilised.

What are peoples thoughts? I realise it's all very romantic to dream that these issues can be fixed one day but the realities are they wont.

Ciao for now.

Hey thanks that was an interesting watch. Very sad indeed.

I think the chances of this country becoming clean is 0% unfortunatly.

Yeah, certainly puts things into perspective. I have nothing but the utmost respect for these people. Migrants often cop a bad rap for being in Bali, but ever noticed who is pushing the trash carts?

Thanks for sharing Adam. Confronting and desperate, but also positive. You're right it may only be a dream that the huge issues can be overcome, but nothing happens without a dream - and some balls.

Thanks for sharing Adam. Confronting and desperate, but also positive. You're right it may only be a dream that the huge issues can be overcome, but nothing happens without a dream - and some balls.

Franz Kafka
“By believing passionately in something that still does not exist, we create it. The nonexistent is whatever we have not sufficiently desired.”

And thank you, Adam, for this poignant video. It helps to bring a bit of reality in our lives, that is to say for those who chose to stop, look, and think.

Thank you very much Adam for this brilliant video!

I forget the name but there's a TV series (BBC?) where half a dozen young people go to different places in Asia and try to work and live like the locals - I've seen episodes from Vietnam, Thailand and India.

Wilbur's story is different because he went to Indonesia to try doing a job he's familiar with in London. Supposedly alone - apart from the camera crew, I guess. (I wonder where they slept?)

Wilbur's ten days' experience as as a garbage collector in Jakarta netted him many new friends there in desperate need. Iman's whole family living in a space not much bigger than his London bathroom was a shocking eye-opener for him. As was the actual hours of work these people perform daily. He gives Iman a pair of yellow gloves for safety reasons, manages to do one collection-round solo, (with a camera crew in tow), and (three months later), his garbo friends get a pay rise. A few tears here and there, some anger that the local bin-men don't have unions to protect them, etc...Interesting, too, that before he went to Indonesia, he had no idea of where it was, apart from being a long way away.

In the end, when Wilbur's back in London, he's learned humility and to appreciate what he's got compared with those poor sods slogging it out in Jakarta.

Now, I thought this programme was quite well done: apt, poignant and a tear-jerker. I also found it to be a bit formulaic, except that the only "happy ending" for the victims was their pay rise (hopefully).

I watched it together with my wife's nephew, (who lives in Jakarta and was on his first visit to Bali). Unfortunately, he doesn't understand English but my wife translated as it went along.

He was totally amazed to see some of the "garbage" collected by Wilbur in his daily London runs (bicycles, laptops, handphones). Later, in the Jakarta parts, I "laughed" at times in disgust (at how ridiculous the situation was). The nephew laughed (nervously) at the Jakarta workers, but seemed proud to inform me of the name of the main garbage dump. My wife didn't laugh at all - just felt sorry for the plight of these poor buggers.

Ironically, the nephew had to cut his first visit to Bali short. His new flat-mate had just upped and left while he was away, and took a whole bunch of stuff that didn't belong to him. The nephew wanted to fly back ASAP, but didn't have a return ticket. Had the cash to pay for one, but asked me to book and pay online. I tried.

Can't pay Lion Air with a Visa card online if the flight is less than 48 hours away. And even so, the passenger's name and the one on the Visa card have to match. I think it's the same with Garuda.

He took a bus back to Jakarta yesterday (24 hours). Hope it didn't crash and he finds his shoes, clothes, TV, laptop when he gets there.

...what chance realistically does this country (and many, many like it) have of ever becoming clean?
Realistically? About zero. There are more people in and around Jakarta (30+ millions) than the entire population of Australia.

...at what point are the underpriviledged majority of this country gunna grow some balls and stand up to greedy few who have far more than their fair share?

Maybe when they can become armed and dangerous. Or when the shit really hits the fan and there's a civil war/uprising. Or when the USA decides something has to be done (covertly, of course).

The really big question is when is whole world going to clean up its act, instead of pussy-footing around, as time runs out?
I'd love to hear the answer to that one!

:icon_cry:

Blood, sweat and t-shirts or blood, sweat and takeaway is the shows you are thinking of. Love them, highly recommend watching them.

Back