Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
You need to understand that the Brits are obsessed with owning their own property which, as we all know, isn't possible here - easily...

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
You need to understand that the Brits are obsessed with owning their own property which, as we all know, isn't possible here - easily...

It's probably a good thing not mentioning Bali.
It does mention rental prices a lot.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
That BBC report is actually a copy from International Living which is a magazine that I've subscribed to for many years.
Consequently, I've been to most of those places that still survive their top 10....I'm surprised they've dropped Costa Rica which used to be one very favoured.
Panama is very welcoming and useful for those living in N. America....but it's humid and the girls there are too sexy for a flaky marriage to survive.:icon_e_biggrin:
Ecuador is fairly new to the list and I've never been.
Spain and Portugal have just too many Germans living there and Spain has become quite scary for muggings...:cupcake:
Malaysia is also welcoming and I have their MM2H visa which lasts 10 years, and is renewable, but does require a deposit liened to the Gov't as security (MYR150,000 for those over 50 years old and double if under). If Indonesia adopted a policy such as MM2H, and permitted foreign restrictive land ownership much like Malaysia, then Bali would probably be No. 2 spot after Panama.
IMO....The main issue, if retiring from a country which has National Health Services is.....what to do if medical insurance is unavailable or too costly. Needs some careful thought when retiring to any of those countries mentioned.