Status
Not open for further replies.

banjo

Oct 28, 2010
I’m the administrator of a new message board set up for the purpose of advising and sharing information with Australians living on the Disability Support Pension who spend time overseas.
This is a single issue forum and in no way competes with other expat boards.

Many of us have lived in Asia for years, most with wives and families, and we find it a more comfortable lifestyle than struggling to make ends meet in Australia.
Prior to 2003 we were required to return to Australia (portability) every twenty six weeks but the Social Security Act was changed to make this thirteen weeks. Life accordingly became more difficult with money needing to be saved for three to four return airfares a year.

Now the legislation is about to change again; to what we don’t know, the politicians and public servants we have written to aren’t forthcoming with this information.
I’d like to encourage potentially effected people to join our group and try to make our voice heard.

The Disability Support Pension is not some sort of welfare payment handed out to the undeserving. Most of us have paid high taxes all our working lives. In Australia taxpayers expect a decent Government pension on retirement, and people who retire early due to illness or injury should be entitled to the same thing.
Those who support Government cost cutting should consider the result of thousands of us returning permanently to Australia accompanied by wives and children, all whom are currently living on a single pension

I invite all people worried about changes to the pension to view our website. For those of you on the Age Pension, who knows, you may be next in line.

Message Board - Home

Banjo, with thanks to the administrators of balipod.com for allowing this message.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Thanks for the post Banjo. Governments seem to continue a kind of guerrilla war with those on social security. It is useful to know of the latest developments and I wish you well in your representations.

Adam

Jul 21, 2006
Western Australia
Sorry to play the devils advocate and it's nothing personal but I have no problem with this whatsoever.

My issue is not with the recipients of a pension (of any description) but if you want to recieve an Aussie pension paid for by Aussie taxpayers, then that money should be spent in Australia benefiting other Australians. Simple as that.

I personally cannot see how anybody could genuinely justify that they deserve to live overseas while living off Australian welfare payments. It actually makes me quite angry to think that I am working 80hrs a week and paying over $40k a year in tax (plus 15% superannuation, no aged pension for me whether I want it or not) to allow somebody else to live the lifestyle I'm working hard to obtain. The principles of this absolutely stinks. I plan to retire young to Bali but I'll be paying for my ticket and meals with my own money - I don't expect anyone else to foot the bill. If events occur that prevent this from happening, well unfortunately thats just pure tough luck and I'll be thankful that at least there is a safety net in that ensures I should at least have a roof over my head and food in my stomach -many don't enjoy that luxury.

Sorry, I have no sympathy for your situation. I can't believe it's been allowed to continue for as long as it has. The pension is not for ensuring a comfortable retirement in the Tropics, its ensuring that the basic needs of life are covered, nothing more, nothing less.

TerryL

Jan 11, 2010
Broome, Western Australia
What a comfort!

Sorry to play the devils advocate and it's nothing personal but I have no problem with this whatsoever.

What a comfort it must be to be gifted with such an insight into other people's predicaments. How much simpler it is when you can measure (and judge) everybody else by your own achievements! I don't wish to personalise this but, this whole "I've done it so everyone else can too" attitude make's me sick.

No Adam, I'm not on a pension of any type but I do believe that those who are have generally more than paid for it throughout their working life and deserve to live their lives wherever and however they want without people like you displaying your total lack of empathy or compassion.

scout

Jun 25, 2010
Ubud
Adam are u joking

Totally agree with Terry. No one has the right to dictate where people live. All these people on a OAP or a Disability have paid taxes all their lives are are intitled to live where they chose, not where the Government decides.

With the cost of living in Australia going thru the roof; how can a single person on a pension which is approx $795.00 per fortnight, SURVIVE and that is the point THEY CANT, rent or mortgage, food, gas, electricity, petrol etc etc etc..... To quote Adam's last para "The pension is not for ensuring a comfortable retirement in the Tropics, its ensuring that the basic needs of life are covered, nothing more, nothing less" Basic needs, are not covered and if you look into this a major proportion of these people are living below the poverty line.

Will follow Banjo's endeavours with interest.

goldminer

Apr 16, 2008
Sanur/Sunrise Dam Gold Mine
This topic is sure to create a lot of heated discussion. I intend to spend my retirement in Bali/Indonesia and will have the benefit of superanuation and the old age pension. I have paid very high taxes all my life, in access of $AU 30K per year. I think the difference here is wether you are on old age pension or a disability pension. Many people "scam" the latter and i dont think the govt is wrong on cracking down on this.
I have been onto the original posters, banjo's, message board and read it quite extensively. On one post he states that he didnt vote in the recent election and hasnt voted for many years! Well my friend, if you cant be bothered voting in your countries elections, how can you set yourself up to be the spokesperson for a group looking to change policy? You have lost all credability with me right here.
I am looking forward to more discussion on this topic :icon_rolleyes:

Tamispecial

Oct 14, 2010
Legian Kaja
Totally agree with Terry. No one has the right to dictate where people live. All these people on a OAP or a Disability have paid taxes all their lives are are intitled to live where they chose, not where the Government decides.

With the cost of living in Australia going thru the roof; how can a single person on a pension which is approx $795.00 per fortnight, SURVIVE and that is the point THEY CANT, rent or mortgage, food, gas, electricity, petrol etc etc etc..... To quote Adam's last para "The pension is not for ensuring a comfortable retirement in the Tropics, its ensuring that the basic needs of life are covered, nothing more, nothing less" Basic needs, are not covered and if you look into this a major proportion of these people are living below the poverty line.

Will follow Banjo's endeavours with interest.

When I retired I decided that it was absolutely impossible to have any sort of decent life in Australia, the almost daily food price increases not to mention us "oldies" little bit of luxury items increasing at a rapid rate.

I made extensive enquiries to the international arm of Centrelink for whom I have much appreciation in their help regarding moving overseas and it was a fairly easy process.

I then made my move to Bali where I have many friends also knowing that I could survive quite comfortably on the age pension and Centrelink were nothing short of brilliant in their help in enabling to have my pension paid into an Indonesian bank account which eliminated paying ridiculous Australian bank fees and charges.

I am happy here in Bali as are many other retirees and we chose here because it is affordable and we don't have the "fun police" looking over our shoulder.

Yes many people will make comments about this situation but like previous posters have pointed out...'we have paid our taxes'....it is our decision to live where we want......a comfortable life and basic needs affordable.

scout

Jun 25, 2010
Ubud
Thanks Goldminer for that info regarding Banjo's lack of voting in the federal election. I will now go back and re-read everything on his new message board. When one is putting their neck and reputation on the line, one needs to be aware of the glass house syndrome
:icon_rolleyes:

Can someone explain to me how you can scam a Disability Pension???? or am I just naive!!!

Last edited:

goldminer

Apr 16, 2008
Thanks Goldminer for that info regarding Banjo's lack of voting in the federal election. I will now go back and re-read everything on his new message board. When one is putting their neck and reputation on the line, one needs to be aware of the glass house syndrome

Can someone explain to me how you can scam a Disability Pension???? or am I just naive!!!
See the messages about "the ABC speaks" for the voting comment.
I am not saying that every one on a disability pension or even many, its probably a very minor percentage, scams it.... but it does happen. Especialy back conditions. I personaly know 2 who do it in Oz.

scout

Jun 25, 2010
Ubud
See the messages about "the ABC speaks" for the voting comment.
I am not saying that every one on a disability pension or even many, its probably a very minor percentage, scams it.... but it does happen. Especialy back conditions. I personaly know 2 who do it in Oz.

Hey I totally overlooked that; my mind was focused on the people wanting to live in Asia.....Remember it well, worked in the medico/legal industry for many years. Had one person of european persuasion that had a soft cervical collar around his neck for so long, it was becoming attached, literally to his skin!! ugh!! there was nothing physically wrong, but he had put up this pretence for so long that he actually believed his was injured....go figure!!

I think the essence of this discussion, if I can be so forward, is that, generally people on this disability pension are hog tied, cant afford to live in Australia, and are penalised when wanting to live elsewhere. It will be interesting to see what happens next, Government wise (or not!!)

goldminer

Apr 16, 2008
I agree that is what the discussion here may be, however the purpose of mr banjo and friends is to lobby/convince the government that they should change the policy. Many letters written to members of parliment etc.

TerryL

Jan 11, 2010
Support for Banjo's Cause

For what it's worth I think Banjo's cause deserves support regardless of his personal non-voting habit (which I believe is ab abrogation of his responsibilities).

If Adam thinks that pensioners of any type live in luxury on "his" taxes he's dreaming! Adam, go walk a mile in their shoes mate.

I too have paid heaps in Australian tax and don't begrudge any of it going to pensions.

goldminer

Apr 16, 2008
Abrogation means to repeal or cancel as i understand it. I dont understand why you should think he has this right to "cancel" his responsibility to vote in a federal election, yet still feel he has the right to attempt to change the policy of the government elected in same election. :icon_rolleyes:
I dont begrudge my taxes going to pensions either, far from it. My dear old mum receives the old age pension ( as well as super which she was smart enough to take out before it was compulsary). I also will qualify for the old age pension.
Banjo set himself up here, and fell on his own sword by making the statement, just IMHO :icon_wink:

TerryL

Jan 11, 2010
Abrogation means to repeal or cancel as i understand it. I dont understand why you should think he has this right to "cancel" his responsibility to vote in a federal election, yet still feel he has the right to attempt to change the policy of the government elected in same election. :icon_rolleyes:
I dont begrudge my taxes going to pensions either, far from it. My dear old mum receives the old age pension ( as well as super which she was smart enough to take out before it was compulsary). I also will qualify for the old age pension.
Banjo set himself up here, and fell on his own sword by making the statement, just IMHO :icon_wink:

I don't disagree, however to abrogate in imho means to forfeit the right, which means that I don't agree with Banjo's choice but I do support those he purports to represent.

goldminer

Apr 16, 2008
Repeal, cancel, forfeit the right.... same thing as i see it. I just dont think he has the right to represent anybody. I guess bigot is the term that comes to my mind. Perhaps a bit harsh, but he has no creditability in my eyes!

cabaicabai

May 19, 2010
Let's see, disability pensioners spending their measly couple of hundred a week in Indonesia and Soeharto's cronies spending their millions, stolen from the Indonesian peasants, in Australia.

Sounds fair.

Not to mention that disability pensioners in Indonesia are paying for their own healthcare/insurance.

The Australian government is getting more and more small-minded towards pensioners. Why? For no other reason than they are an easy target. Those smug bastards on fat salaries should remember that but for the grace of God go they.

Last edited:

desmond nicholls

Nov 4, 2010
Adam=54685

TO a degree i support your thoughts Adam,i agree with you but if people are fair dinkun what i mean is do recieve a dsability pension due to some form of medical problem which limits their capacity, i cant see a problem with them living overseas and recieving the money.I myself have cancer but still work with a positive attitude but due to bouts of chemotheraphy in the past , my body is not the same so im thinking about applyiny for the disability pension and moving to thailand if its possible, i have worked all my life and paid taxes, and now struggle due to my ,or should i say past treatment which is expensive

TerryL

Jan 11, 2010
Goldminer, I didn't for a moment suggest he had the right to avoid his responsibility to register his vote. I said that in spite of this the cause of people with disabilities was a worthy one. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.
Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.