Suggestions and ideas for the forum

MiSO

Jul 29, 2009
Ok, and maybe the travel-section as well. Well, we'll see how things go and flow.

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
I think trying to make a travel section is not such a good idea. There are countless other Bali Travel forums and the thing that makes BEF different is because there isn't all the how many sleeps, where to buy, VIP VOA etc posts. I reckon the one branch as it is, is more then enough. :)

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
There are a few Bali and travel related forums. There is simply no way of pleasing everyone visiting the site.
Spicy...There are many Bali-related forums. Nobody can please everybody on any of them. Why would anybody in their right mind even try?

This forum is trying to wear two hats at the same time. It purports to be both a Bale Expat Forum AND a Bali Travel Forum. Nothing wrong with that, in principle.

If generating income from this site is part of your agenda, (again, nothing wrong with that - we all have to eat), wearing two hats and possibly growing an extra head is the way to go.

IMHO, the only 'unique' thing you've acquired is a small core of Expats who actually live in Bali (with various degrees of dementia). Priceless, in other words. I doubt that any of them are likely to click on-line ads here or even buy from them. However, I understand how click-through links, back-links, etc, can generate both some income and more traffic.

ronb wrote:
I think the assets of balipod.com are the archive, which is a mine of information and entertainment, and the current posters who are the life-blood.
I agree totally.

Maybe the entire archive could be saved into one down-loadable zip file for the sake of posterity. Software exists that can save entire websites, (including links), for off-line viewing. For example, httrack.

Real people make this forum. Keep them 'happy' and they won't go somewhere else in a hurry. Without them, what have you got left?

New color schemes, etc, are not very important. 'Content' and active 'participation' more so, to my way of thinking.

8)

MiSO

Jul 29, 2009
JohnnyCool said:
ronb wrote:
I think the assets of balipod.com are the archive, which is a mine of information and entertainment, and the current posters who are the life-blood.
I agree totally.

Maybe the entire archive could be saved into one down-loadable zip file for the sake of posterity. Software exists that can save entire websites, (including links), for off-line viewing. For example, httrack.

8)

Yeah, full of info, I agree too..but not always easy to find. The search engine doesn't work properly. Even if you type 75% of the words mentioned in the topic's title, it can't be found.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Why would anybody in their right mind even try?

Maybe I am just that kind of person :)

I doubt that any of them are likely to click on-line ads here or even buy from them. However, I understand how click-through links, back-links, etc, can generate both some income and more traffic.

I don't know if you know much about websites and the internet, but you are pretty spot on. In the webmaster world, forums are notorious for being time consuming and expensive to run and make very little for the traffic they generate.

I would be more than happy to bore you with the details as to why I wanted to buy this website if we meet up at some point. If you look at the other forums here in Bali, all are operated by people with some kind of business here.

I have some ideas for monetizing the site, which I will be testing over the coming year. But you are right again, the people who actually buy stuff are people who come across this site from google and not regular members.

Real people make this forum. Keep them 'happy' and they won't go somewhere else in a hurry. Without them, what have you got left?

New color schemes, etc, are not very important. 'Content' and active 'participation' more so, to my way of thinking.

I totally agree.

When VIPVOA posts start to monopolise, like 1 particular forum,, I'm outta here

What is a VIPVOA post?

I think trying to make a travel section is not such a good idea. There are countless other Bali Travel forums and the thing that makes BEF different is because there isn't all the how many sleeps,

I agree on this also. A few people mentioned "expanding" the travel section and it seems like a good idea, but I don't have any ideas right now how this will be done. The main focus of this site will not change. But I do like hearing people's opinions about the best places to stay and eat in Bali. There's nothing better from hearing from people who actually live there.

The search engine doesn't work properly. Even if you type 75% of the words mentioned in the topic's title, it can't be found.

I have noticed this also. I will probably try and incorporate Google search into the new version of the site. For now, if you go to google and type balipod followed by the thing you are looking for, it works pretty well :)

I appreciate all the feedback so far.

MiSO

Jul 29, 2009
Shoops...all these BTF, VIPVOA...pfff...

Spicy... you've got a lot on your plate mate...

As for the travel section:
Divide it in most popular tourist places (Kuta, Ubud, Lovina..Or even in East, North etc.)
Than section it again in Accomodation, Restaurants, What to Do's etc.

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
As for the travel section:
Divide it in most popular tourist places (Kuta, Ubud, Lovina..Or even in East, North etc.)
Than section it again in Accomodation, Restaurants, What to Do's etc.

I think Spicy needs to be cutting back on forums rather than creating a load more....

I also think if he wants to go the way of so many of the other Bali Travel forums he will lose that which makes this forum stand out form the rest.....

MiSO

Jul 29, 2009
Well the info and the topics are already here, but it is unorganised.
So no need to create more, but it only needs a different set up.

And I'd say, don't be afraid to lose, just keep the eye on the core value of the forum.
Fear sometimes makes you want to cater everyone, and then you will end up with no-one.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I can tell you don't frequent BTF very often

It's not the content so much, I just find it difficult to navigate through the site. If there was an award for having the most knowledge about the different Bali forums Mimpi, I think you would win hands down :)

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
It's not the content so much, I just find it difficult to navigate through the site. If there was an award for having the most knowledge about the different Bali forums Mimpi, I think you would win hands down :)

I am sure I should be taking this as an insult :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually I only ever keep up with a few of them these days. Though I would say there must be at least 20..... BEF is the first one I check daily though 8)

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
...just keep the eye on the core value of the forum. Fear sometimes makes you want to cater (to) everyone, and then you will end up with no-one.
I'm not sure it's "fear" so much as "inexperience".
I only ever keep up with a few of them these days. Though I would say there must be at least 20..... BEF is the first one I check daily though
I'm a member of several, myself. Some are OK, but most I can't be bothered with. Despite what shortcomings BEF has these days, it's still my favourite, too.

I would really hate to see it transmogrify or become a clone of a lesser beast. What would be the point?

The "don't fix it if it ain't broke" axiom is very relevant. And so is the money behind the forum to host it somewhere and pay the bills. Unfortunately, the "everything is, or should be free mentality" is a bit of a delusion.

Running and hosting any kind of web site involves time, energy, and money.

I wonder how many of us here are buying servers to stick in our bedrooms, run them 24 hours a day, maintain them, operate and moderate a "forum", read all kinds of bullshit every day, watch out for hackers/spammers...It ain't me, babe.

Some, what's the term? "monetizing" is a necessary evil, up to a point. That point could be like the phase shift which occurs when water suddenly freezes, or boiling water turns to steam.

Silly as I am, I kind of love BEF as it is. I hope it doesn't change/modernize too much.

I hope the "core value" doesn't get lost in the process...

:cry:

MiSO

Jul 29, 2009
JohnnyCool said:
...just keep the eye on the core value of the forum. Fear sometimes makes you want to cater (to) everyone, and then you will end up with no-one.
I'm not sure it's "fear" so much as "inexperience".
[quote:2209qjjz]I only ever keep up with a few of them these days. Though I would say there must be at least 20..... BEF is the first one I check daily though
I'm a member of several, myself. Some are OK, but most I can't be bothered with. Despite what shortcomings BEF has these days, it's still my favourite, too.

I would really hate to see it transmogrify or become a clone of a lesser beast. What would be the point?

The "don't fix it if it ain't broke" axiom is very relevant. And so is the money behind the forum to host it somewhere and pay the bills. Unfortunately, the "everything is, or should be free mentality" is a bit of a delusion.

Running and hosting any kind of web site involves time, energy, and money.

I wonder how many of us here are buying servers to stick in our bedrooms, run them 24 hours a day, maintain them, operate and moderate a "forum", read all kinds of bullshit every day, watch out for hackers/spammers...It ain't me, babe.

Some, what's the term? "monetizing" is a necessary evil, up to a point. That point could be like the phase shift which occurs when water suddenly freezes, or boiling water turns to steam.

Silly as I am, I kind of love BEF as it is. I hope it doesn't change/modernize too much.

I hope the "core value" doesn't get lost in the process...

:cry:[/quote:2209qjjz]

Are you OK...? :roll:
In a sentimental mood?
Changes to come is like jumping in the dark..

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
begonia said:
Hello Spycy!
I participate (sorry about my spanish english sometimes!!!!) in a spanish forum where when I get in I have a option where I click and I only see the new posts since my last visit, could be possible to have this here???
Usually even when I don´t participate too much here I try to read all the post and sometimes I get confuse which ones I read already
Have all a good day!!

Navigating - I like Bogonia's idea of being able to easily navigate to posts I haven't read.

Colours - I wasn't too keen on the brown colours but after visiting the new forum the tan seems almost restful. So I'd say new colours but keep working on them.

Moderating, flaming, and bombast - I'm new here and haven't earned the right to say too much but my opinions are familiar territory. And my opinion is that the personal arguments for the sake of "winning" the round aren't helpful to anyone.

Ads - I think ads are fine but as someone said earlier, please, no moving ads. That was Miso's suggestion and I thought all her ideas were good.

bolli

Nov 28, 2005
Australia
Get rid of old posts that have had no traffic for more than 1 year, unless they are relevant in giving advice on a topic. The stories from 2004 are useless now.
Clean out the attic :lol:

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Get rid of old posts that have had no traffic for more than 1 year, unless they are relevant in giving advice on a topic. The stories from 2004 are useless now.

You mean delete them? They all have a date on them, so if it is an answer about a visa question, you probably want to find something more up to date, but if it is a story or question about life in Bali, I don't think that these go out of date.

Actually, I think the forum is an incredible archive of information and it is kind of interesting going back and looking at people's different reactions to certain topics and news items over the years.

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
I think if you would find a way to filter out all the childish discussions you will actually have an informative forum.

If you have a look to the trip advisor forum they have zero tollerancy for rudeness and insulting. Negative messages who get reported dissapear almost straight away.

Lets see how long it takes before I get insulted 8)

I'm with Balebule on this. It would be great if we could police ourselves and if a post has nothing in it except personal, unpleasant comments about another member then the comments could be made in a PM. If we can't police ourselves I'd like for their to be a guideline on what can be posted and then enforce it.