So... trying to understand what I'll be in for as visas go...

OrangeDragon

Feb 5, 2019
Presuming the new 5 year digital nomad visa isn't in place soon, or maybe at all, what I seem to be looking at is this:
KITAS Social 6 months... 1 extension... 2 day(ish) visa run and reset the whole thing... with the potential risk of them changing the rules on it and me not being able to extend?

Until such time as I'm 55... then can go down the retirement track, or decide to become an investor/marry a local/etc.

SamD

Sep 7, 2006
Seminyak
I don't know the current rules for Sosbud but when I used it I had to extend after 2 months I think. So 2 extensions then flew to Singapore for a day and started it all over. I don't really remember but maybe the extensions were monthly after the initial 2 months. No problems on return from Singapore, the immigration officer did comment about me returning on the same day but not in an aggressive way.
KITAS is different. I am on the family union version and renew every year. About 10million. No visa run required. I think the retirement KITAS is the same.

britoo

Sep 11, 2018
Presuming the new 5 year digital nomad visa isn't in place soon, or maybe at all, what I seem to be looking at is this:
KITAS Social 6 months... 1 extension... 2 day(ish) visa run and reset the whole thing... with the potential risk of them changing the rules on it and me not being able to extend?

Until such time as I'm 55... then can go down the retirement track, or decide to become an investor/marry a local/etc.
based on my understanding which is far far from the gold standard, the above info might be a bit muddled, I dont think there is a KITAS Social as Social usually refers to the B211[a] (in my experience) visa (VITAS class) which comes in many flavours; tourist, investor, social .....

Without being sponsored by your employer or a local legit business, owning a business PT-PMA, being an investor or marrying a local I do not belive that any KITAS visa will be available to you.

Visa runs are also currently a thing of the past - unless you want to - as on-shore applications are currently available, a breeze, and not onourously challenged.

So I'd break your plan into two parts:
1 Arriving on the island
2 Staying on the island

For (1) you can either arrange, in advance, most probably via an agent, an offhsore 6 month B211A which will require a sponsor, either business or personal (depends on the visa sub-class) regardless as to whether its an agent or a personal connection... or you can arrive on a 1 extension VOA issued at the airport for 30+ 1 extension (30) days and migrate onto a B211from there locally - VERIFY this as I believe it but have not done it. You shoukd regardless fire out some mails to some of the local visa agents getting quotes and proposals.

The B211A, regardless of sub-class should now come in 2 flavours; a 2 month + 2 times 2 month extension (=6 month) version or a full 1-shot no extension 6 month version. A month or so ago the 1-shot version was legal but the immigration processes were not in place to support it so it wasn't actually possible.

Currently (and of course always subject to change), once on shore you can make an on-shore application for further 6 monh B211A visas subject to the good graces of immigration who are currently quite happy to approve them.

This means that at the end of your 6 monnth offshore viisa you shoul have no problem applying for successive on-shore visas so long as you keep your nose clean and dont do anything stupid. This can be done either with an agent or a friendly local deemed eligible to sponsor.

Most importantly you need to note the B211 (social or otherwise) is a 1-shot visa and if you leave RI it expires.

So assuming you do a bit of regional travel and head home now and again you can probably muddle through till the 5-year gonad :) or the retirement vissa becomes viable or you get a temrinal case of "local fever".

Cheers

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
In all honesty visas are up in the air at the moment and nobody really knows what is going on - Social visa don't exist any more but some weird sort of business visa which sort of is and isn't. Pensioner visas (aged 55) are available but possibly superseded by some Digital Gonad 5 year, tax free, pie in the fecking sky visa when the whole world knows about but nobody does here...

Before investing in some shakey business visa I'd wait it out with the VOA or OAP (pensioner) visa if I had it to do now. Or find some hot, local girl from Java and marry the sh*t out of her in some local, quicky wedding and get the married visa. Not to break your romantic heart but the other visas all cost minimum 10 juta/year but a Javanese hotty is cheaper and more fun.

Reactions: Shadrach

OrangeDragon

Feb 5, 2019
First off, thanks so much for the information.
Second off, I love that it's being dubbed the gonad visa now, lol.

From the sound of things, it'll be a pain but manageable at least. I hope the gonad comes sooner than later so I can grab one (yeah, you're welcome) and enjoy that easy 5 years stress free. Plan is to move in December, so... we'll see. For now, on my short trip, the VOA will get me by fine, I just like to have a plan.

And, not 100% opposed to Markit's plan either.. my heart hasn't been very romantic since my ex wife robbed me blind a decade ago, lol.

AuroraB

Dec 17, 2021
I don't know the current rules for Sosbud but when I used it I had to extend after 2 months I think. So 2 extensions then flew to Singapore for a day and started it all over. I don't really remember but maybe the extensions were monthly after the initial 2 months. No problems on return from Singapore, the immigration officer did comment about me returning on the same day but not in an aggressive way.
KITAS is different. I am on the family union version and renew every year. About 10million. No visa run required. I think the retirement KITAS is the same.

The 10Juta KITAS is including agent fee as well I presume.

ITAS (KITAS) is 1.5Juta for one year [Item 2c in link below] + Multiple entry permit 1Juta for one year [Item 4b]. Total 2.5Juta.
5 Yr second home (Retirement) KITAS appears to cost 12Juta [Item 2h)

See link for fees (visa, permits): https://www.imigrasi.go.id/en/biaya-keimigrasian/
Right click in google chrome to translate. In any case best to check with local immigration office.

For description of each visa and their limitations go to: https://www.imigrasi.go.id/en/
Then 'Immigration Information / Immigration Services / For Foreign National'

Reactions: Mark

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
The 10Juta KITAS is including agent fee as well I presume.

ITAS (KITAS) is 1.5Juta for one year [Item 2c in link below] + Multiple entry permit 1Juta for one year [Item 4b]. Total 2.5Juta.
5 Yr second home (Retirement) KITAS appears to cost 12Juta [Item 2h)

See link for fees (visa, permits): https://www.imigrasi.go.id/en/biaya-keimigrasian/
Right click in google chrome to translate. In any case best to check with local immigration office.

For description of each visa and their limitations go to: https://www.imigrasi.go.id/en/
Then 'Immigration Information / Immigration Services / For Foreign National'
All the prices quoted may well be correct BUT you cannot apply for them yourself and MUST have an agent. Guess where the rest of the money gets lost?

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
You are getting some good advice, and unless I overlooked it there is one more thing you should know.
If you enter on a tourist visa you can't then change to a 211A, nor any other visa to my understanding from my agent. With that being the case the option should be connecting with an agent, and applying for a 211A while still off shore. It should provide you enough time to then flip to the hoped for new nomad visa.

Reactions: britoo and matsaleh

OrangeDragon

Feb 5, 2019
You are getting some good advice, and unless I overlooked it there is one more thing you should know.
If you enter on a tourist visa you can't then change to a 211A, nor any other visa to my understanding from my agent. With that being the case the option should be connecting with an agent, and applying for a 211A while still off shore. It should provide you enough time to then flip to the hoped for new nomad visa.
Good information. I will be sure to seek one out during my short 3 week stay coming up and get the details worked out before leaving.

britoo

Sep 11, 2018
OrangeDragon

two entirely unrelated suggestions that are worth considering before you depart.

1 Get an international drivers licence before you leave home if there is any possibility you will drive a bike or car here. Assuming you have a US licence it probably about 10$ and some form filling. It's actually an International Driving Permit (IDP) and you need the 1949 convention one here. Some issuers struggle as Indonesia is not actually a signatory to the convention but they recognise it. Without one you will be a bone-fide ATM on wheels for the local lads in blue.

2 Prior to your longer visit, look into the phone import issue and decide how you want to proceed. Basically to block grey imports and non payment of import tax, physically imported phones using local SIM cards are blocked after 2 or 3 months based on the IMEI ie the hardware in the phone. If you leave your foreign sim in Im told there's no issue but I imagine youll get some juicy phone bills. The solution is to register and pay import tax on arrival - in the airport - but this can run to 100s of dollars for premium phones. An alternative is to just buy a local phone and make use of that depending on how much of a phone snob you are.

Cheers

OrangeDragon

Feb 5, 2019
OrangeDragon

two entirely unrelated suggestions that are worth considering before you depart.

1 Get an international drivers licence before you leave home if there is any possibility you will drive a bike or car here. Assuming you have a US licence it probably about 10$ and some form filling. It's actually an International Driving Permit (IDP) and you need the 1949 convention one here. Some issuers struggle as Indonesia is not actually a signatory to the convention but they recognise it. Without one you will be a bone-fide ATM on wheels for the local lads in blue.

2 Prior to your longer visit, look into the phone import issue and decide how you want to proceed. Basically to block grey imports and non payment of import tax, physically imported phones using local SIM cards are blocked after 2 or 3 months based on the IMEI ie the hardware in the phone. If you leave your foreign sim in Im told there's no issue but I imagine youll get some juicy phone bills. The solution is to register and pay import tax on arrival - in the airport - but this can run to 100s of dollars for premium phones. An alternative is to just buy a local phone and make use of that depending on how much of a phone snob you are.

Cheers
Thanks, was aware of both of these... my plan is, for now, to toss my US number onto a voip provider so I can keep it while living there but ditch my US carrier ($70 us/m saved) and pay the import tax, it's a pretty good phone (Pixel 5a) and relatively new... may as well. And it's got all my stuff on it... I despise migrating.
Picking up the IDP this weekend, but it's good to now about which one to get... may have easily cocked that up, lol.

jackwilliam1

Sep 20, 2023
In all honesty visas are up in the air at the moment and nobody really knows what is going on - Social visa don't exist any more but some weird sort of business visa which sort of is and isn't. Pensioner visas (aged 55) are available but possibly superseded by some Digital Gonad 5 year, tax free, pie in the fecking sky visa when the whole world knows about but nobody does here...

Before investing in some shakey business visa I'd wait it out with the VOA or OAP (pensioner) visa if I had it to do now. Or find some hot, local girl from Java and marry the sh*t out of her in some local, quicky wedding and get the married visa. Not to break your romantic heart but the other visas all cost minimum 10 juta/year but a Javanese hotty is cheaper and more fun.
It's true that visa situations can be uncertain and confusing in some countries. Waiting for more clarity might be wise. The VOA or OAP (pensioner) visa could be suitable options. Alternatively, marrying a local and getting a marriage visa is another route. Just remember to make decisions based on your personal circumstances and preferences.

As for a specific gift, if you're considering marrying a Javanese woman, perhaps a thoughtful and culturally meaningful gift would be a traditional Javanese piece of jewelry or clothing, like a beautiful batik dress or a unique piece of silver jewelry. It can be a meaningful gesture to show your appreciation and respect for her culture.

Last edited by a moderator:

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
It's true that visa situations can be uncertain and confusing in some countries. Waiting for more clarity might be wise. The VOA or OAP (pensioner) visa could be suitable options. Alternatively, marrying a local and getting a marriage visa is another route. Just remember to make decisions based on your personal circumstances and preferences.

As for a specific gift, if you're considering marrying a Javanese woman, perhaps a thoughtful and culturally meaningful gift would be a traditional Javanese piece of jewelry or clothing, like a beautiful batik dress or a unique piece of silver jewelry. It can be a meaningful gesture to show your appreciation and respect for her culture.
Sorry to be straightforward but anybody who considers "marrying a local" as a way to get a long term visa should have his head examined....

And concerning the batik dress "goodwill" present.....let me laugh.

Anyway, if one day you proceed along that path, keep us updated. We old pensioners love a good laugh over a beer !

Reactions: Fred2 and Rellek

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
More seriously, the "classic" retirement visa still exist.
I am 2 years in my1st 5y retirement visa (after 4 x 1 year visas) and was at my visa agent yesterday to renew my MERP.
I asked about what would be my next retirement visa, again a 5 y or a permanent one ?
Answer : the next will be a permanent one.
Nobody mentionned anything about any of them fancy new "golden boys" visas.
And BTW, the actual cost for the permanent retirement visa is quite heavy.
A bit of a gamble when you're 73....
But IMO better than gambling every year with changing regulations !

AuroraB

Dec 17, 2021
As for a specific gift, if you're considering marrying a Javanese woman, perhaps a thoughtful and culturally meaningful gift would be a traditional Javanese piece of jewelry or clothing, like a beautiful batik dress or a unique piece of silver jewelry.
Reading that I nearly spat out my coffee. My Jakarta experience tells me that "meaningful" gifts these days would be the latest iphone, cash, car, gold jewelery, house etc. approx. in that order.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali

Friends me thinks we've been invaded by a chatbot GBT or the like. No one talks like that. Not even Ken

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Friends me thinks we've been invaded by a chatbot GBT or the like. No one talks like that. Not even Ken
Not the first time I hear somebody seriously speaking about marrying a local to obtain a visa.

Probably the most expensive visa ever.....
And cherry on the cake, when the wifes fecks off she takes the visa with her and you're back to square one....

Not even speaking about the ethical aspect...i mean, would we appreciate that some wanabee immigrant marries a girl in our countries just for the sake of the visa ?

Reactions: Shadrach and Rellek

gtrken

Nov 4, 2007
Perth W Australia

This has GOT to be a windup , surely?

AND.....

To whom does one mean when thou sayeth even I doth not speak like that Markit?

Yours Most sincerely
Ken ( esq)

Rellek

Apr 28, 2020
Medewi, West Bali
More seriously, the "classic" retirement visa still exist.
I am 2 years in my1st 5y retirement visa (after 4 x 1 year visas) and was at my visa agent yesterday to renew my MERP.
I asked about what would be my next retirement visa, again a 5 y or a permanent one ?
Answer : the next will be a permanent one.
Nobody mentionned anything about any of them fancy new "golden boys" visas.
And BTW, the actual cost for the permanent retirement visa is quite heavy.
A bit of a gamble when you're 73....
But IMO better than gambling every year with changing regulations !
I gotta ask. The minimum age for a retirement visa just went from 55 to 60 years of age, correct? I thought perhaps if you entered Bali at, say, age 57 and your Visa was up for renewal at age 58, you would somehow be allowed to stay as it is just a renewal of an existing Visa....Is this not the case?

While not related, I might add this. I wanted to change my Visa agent this past year and after researching making this change, found I would have to leave Indonesia, apply for the off-shore B211A Visa and then return to Bali and convert the Business Visa to a new retirement Visa (abandon my current Visa). I wish I had known this..what is to keep a Visa agency from jacking your rates every year by 1 - 2 Juta?