So... trying to understand what I'll be in for as visas go...

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
More seriously, the "classic" retirement visa still exist.
I am 2 years in my1st 5y retirement visa (after 4 x 1 year visas) and was at my visa agent yesterday to renew my MERP.
I asked about what would be my next retirement visa, again a 5 y or a permanent one ?
Answer : the next will be a permanent one.
Nobody mentionned anything about any of them fancy new "golden boys" visas.
And BTW, the actual cost for the permanent retirement visa is quite heavy.
A bit of a gamble when you're 73....
But IMO better than gambling every year with changing regulations !
What do you mean by the cost of the permanent retirement visa being quite heavy. How heavy?

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
What do you mean by the cost of the permanent retirement visa being quite heavy. How heavy?
The process is as follows :
4 x 1 year KITAS (Cost 8 M each)
Next is a 5 year KITAP cost 37 M
Next is the permanent KITAP cost 65 M

Let us be clear we are speaking about the "classic" retirement visa, not the marriage visa (which you can do alone, and is MUCH cheaper)

The thing is that for a retirement visa you HAVE to go through an agency, which in fact act as your "sponsor" (whereas with a wedding visa your wife is the sponsor).

Of course prices can (sligthly) vary between agencies, and Jakarta appears to be much more expensive.

Dori

Jun 28, 2023
Retirement visa hasn't changed according to my visa guy (Tude +62 819 9910 0490) and is still from earliest 55 years old. You first need to do a Social visa and then you can apply for the retirement visa.
Hi, can you tell me the name of this agents company please, I’ll give him a call.

britoo

Sep 11, 2018

Let us be clear we are speaking about the "classic" retirement visa, not the marriage visa (which you can do alone, and is MUCH cheaper)

The thing is that for a retirement visa you HAVE to go through an agency, which in fact act as your "sponsor" (whereas with a wedding visa your wife is the sponsor).

Of course prices can (sligthly) vary between agencies, and Jakarta appears to be much more expensive.
... just to confirm

am I reading your M as Million or as Miliar ie Billion?

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
With a retirement visa ?

And without re-starting from scratch ?
Restarted, but only lost 2 years and a lot less red tape. The original agent was requiring many more unnecessary steps compared to the second one and more money. Yes, a retirement visa. Also doubt that even beyond the 5 years you are free of some required paper work.

Rellek

Apr 28, 2020
Medewi, West Bali

Sorry about this..but to further muddy the waters..The new 5-year visa does not require a sponsor, but an agency is required to process. My visa agent has been fucking me the last 2 years on prices (one-year Visa's) so, choosing a good Visa agent is really important.

PS, do not have a failed relationship with your selected Visa agent. Doh!

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
When I changed agents did have a period with the B211a visa, but it was because I was beyond the expiration period of my original Kitas (it had expired in the change over). I don't recall being required to leave the country because I would otherwise have been on a MERP after renewing with the original agent. To clarify this, I leave the country annually anyway so don't recall being required to leave, as nothing transpired while gone.
Upon my return I was thoroughly in my first year of my new Kitas as I had it when re-entering.

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
This all sounds like a can of worms to me! I was always told be careful to open that can, you might not like what you get! 37 M sure sounds like a lot of money to me! And if people are retired then how in the hell are they supposed to come up with this kind of money? What if they only get a fixed amount every month? And it's just enough to cover rent, and put food on the table. Is the person supposed to pay all that money at one time up front? And the permanent one for 65M Wow!
that's a bundle of cash! And does anyone trust the kind folks here to honer that for ever? I have my doubts! You never know what could happen here with a change of government down the road!
Such is life for the walking ATM!

harryopal1

Jul 20, 2023
"....And if people are retired then how in the hell are they supposed to come up with this kind of money? ....." The new laws are not being developed for the low income riff raff kind of retiree. These are exactly the kind of low class type of persons not wanted. It is all about attracting quality retirees..... those with oodles of money. Okay so the requirement to put large amounts of money to sit in an Indonesian bank account may not be as successful an idea as hoped but other ideas will be found and presented.

Reactions: Balifrog

Rellek

Apr 28, 2020
Medewi, West Bali
"....And if people are retired then how in the hell are they supposed to come up with this kind of money? ....." The new laws are not being developed for the low income riff raff kind of retiree. These are exactly the kind of low class type of persons not wanted. It is all about attracting quality retirees..... those with oodles of money. Okay so the requirement to put large amounts of money to sit in an Indonesian bank account may not be as successful an idea as hoped but other ideas will be found and presented.
The same thing is happening in Thailand with new Visa rules and very pricey "Golden Visas" with a ton of foreign money tied up in banks as required by the government.for those 'Highly desirable retirees'. I've been on the Thailand Expat Facebook page for several months and see the same angst there in terms of rising prices and the rapid influx of migrants from the US, Canada, UK and Australia.....and Russians.

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
How dare You! I resemble those words!

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Sorry about this..but to further muddy the waters..The new 5-year visa does not require a sponsor, but an agency is required to process. My visa agent has been fucking me the last 2 years on prices (one-year Visa's) so, choosing a good Visa agent is really important.

PS, do not have a failed relationship with your selected Visa agent. Doh!
WRONG ,.completely wrong.

any visa in Indo requires a sponsor. (Except maybe the recent invented ones ?)
Working visa, your employer is the sponsor, marriage visa your wife is rhe sponsor, rzriremznt visa the agent is the sponsor.

Sponsor = Guarantor.

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
This all sounds like a can of worms to me! I was always told be careful to open that can, you might not like what you get! 37 M sure sounds like a lot of money to me! And if people are retired then how in the hell are they supposed to come up with this kind of money? What if they only get a fixed amount every month? And it's just enough to cover rent, and put food on the table. Is the person supposed to pay all that money at one time up front? And the permanent one for 65M Wow!
that's a bundle of cash! And does anyone trust the kind folks here to honer that for ever? I have my doubts! You never know what could happen here with a change of government down the road!
Such is life for the walking ATM!
As Harry said, they dont want the Pattaya style pensioner....but a more "middle class" one.

Hence the fees. BTW, if 37 M scares you how are you going.to pay a 1 year rental in advance ?

Secondly, do the math, 37 M : 60 months = 600k/month

When you plan to retire first thing to do is to establish your budget.
A budget is comprised of fix.cost (rent, visa, health, wife or g/f cost) and variable cost (food, entertaintment, beer, house keeping...)
Your budget should never exceed 75% of your pension income, as you need to think about unexpected expenses, currency rate variations etc....
Your rent should not represent more than 25 / 30% of your budget.

And to start with, if you don't have some decent money on the side ...forget it.

As simple as that.

gtrken

Nov 4, 2007
Perth W Australia
As Harry said, they dont want the Pattaya style pensioner....but a more "middle class" one.

Hence the fees. BTW, if 37 M scares you how are you going.to pay a 1 year rental in advance ?

Secondly, do the math, 37 M : 60 months = 600k/month

When you plan to retire first thing to do is to establish your budget.
A budget is comprised of fix.cost (rent, visa, health, wife or g/f cost) and variable cost (food, entertaintment, beer, house keeping...)
Your budget should never exceed 75% of your pension income, as you need to think about unexpected expenses, currency rate variations etc....
Your rent should not represent more than 25 / 30% of your budget.

And to start with, if you don't have some decent money on the side ...forget it.

As simple as that.
G/F cost can be a VERY variable thing
Especially if the wife finds out...

Cheers
Ken

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
G/F cost can be a VERY variable thing
Especially if the wife finds out...

Cheers
Ken
My budget has only room for 1 !

Not married, but 10y companion. Budget has been fixed long time ago.
And that part is NOT inflation adjusted...

harryopal1

Jul 20, 2023
How dare You! I resemble those words!
If you visit any immigration office now you will find a new lay out. There are two areas for visa applications. One area which is extremely crowded with few staff attending the long disorderly queues. This area has a sign that says, "Riff raff applications - People with incomes below $3500 US a week." The other section has a sign, "Quality Applicants." There are comfortable, padded seats for the handful of people waiting and staff continually approaching with tea, coffee and cakes. Abject apologies offered if applicants are kept waiting for more than 5 minutes.

Choose which area to which you wish to apply.

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
If you visit any immigration office now you will find a new lay out. There are two areas for visa applications. One area which is extremely crowded with few staff attending the long disorderly queues. This area has a sign that says, "Riff raff applications - People with incomes below $3500 US a week." The other section has a sign, "Quality Applicants." There are comfortable, padded seats for the handful of people waiting and staff continually approaching with tea, coffee and cakes. Abject apologies offered if applicants are kept waiting for more than 5 minutes.

Choose which area to which you wish to apply.
Bit same as HSBC and HSBC PREMIER.......

Was PREMIER when I worked, downgraded to "ordinary" when retired.

Such is life......