So... trying to understand what I'll be in for as visas go...

Shadrach

Feb 20, 2021
If you visit any immigration office now you will find a new lay out. There are two areas for visa applications. One area which is extremely crowded with few staff attending the long disorderly queues. This area has a sign that says, "Riff raff applications - People with incomes below $3500 US a week." The other section has a sign, "Quality Applicants." There are comfortable, padded seats for the handful of people waiting and staff continually approaching with tea, coffee and cakes. Abject apologies offered if applicants are kept waiting for more than 5 minutes.

Choose which area to which you wish to apply.
Very funny! Has anyone ever questioned why do we have to pay to live in a land which we weren't born? Since we're born on this planet why can't we live anywhere we want? If we live here, we have to pay for shelter, food, water, schooling for our children, transportation, additional workers,etc. isn't that enough? If you buy land and don't pay tax on it. Then the Government puts a lien on it and if it's ever sold they get all the money! So do you really own the land? I know everyone is going to say how absurd this concept is, because they have been brainwashed into thinking this is normal. Is it?

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Very funny! Has anyone ever questioned why do we have to pay to live in a land which we weren't born? Since we're born on this planet why can't we live anywhere we want? If we live here, we have to pay for shelter, food, water, schooling for our children, transportation, additional workers,etc. isn't that enough? If you buy land and don't pay tax on it. Then the Government puts a lien on it and if it's ever sold they get all the money! So do you really own the land? I know everyone is going to say how absurd this concept is, because they have been brainwashed into thinking this is normal. Is it?
Well, well....with that mentality you better stay in your countrh mate.

Incompatible with an expat life !

Not even gonna answer any of your points as they are ALL wrong or ridiculous.

BTW, ever thougt about Madagascar, Yemen, R.C.A, Lebanon.? Probably way cheaper ......

Reactions: tel522

britoo

Sep 11, 2018
When I changed agents did have a period with the B211a visa, but it was because I was beyond the expiration period of my original Kitas (it had expired in the change over). I don't recall being required to leave the country because I would otherwise have been on a MERP after renewing with the original agent. To clarify this, I leave the country annually anyway so don't recall being required to leave, as nothing transpired while gone.
Upon my return I was thoroughly in my first year of my new Kitas as I had it when re-entering.
If you'd gone onto the B211 some time just after covid then you would have been able to do an onshore B211 application.

This was possible from the time of the "new normal" around Sept '21 I think up until fairly recently, early '23 at a guess.

My understanding is onshore B211s are no longer possible and you have to go offshore as you did before covid aka visa run.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
If you'd gone onto the B211 some time just after covid then you would have been able to do an onshore B211 application.

This was possible from the time of the "new normal" around Sept '21 I think up until fairly recently, early '23 at a guess.

My understanding is onshore B211s are no longer possible and you have to go offshore as you did before covid aka visa run.
I believe that is correct as I recall

SpeedDave

Mar 11, 2018
Just trying to work out the Visa maze ........

Is there any reason that I can't enter on a 30 day VOA, extend for another 30 days, and then do the 1 day visa run to Singapore and enter again with another 30 + 30 day VOA rinse / repeat / rinse / repeat ?

britoo

Sep 11, 2018
Just trying to work out the Visa maze ........

Is there any reason that I can't enter on a 30 day VOA, extend for another 30 days, and then do the 1 day visa run to Singapore and enter again with another 30 + 30 day VOA rinse / repeat / rinse / repeat ?
in theory nothing at all . . . . .

however, if you delve around in various forum archives you'll see that Singapore was actively clamping down on visa runners prior to covid, in particular those that would show up, kick their heels in the airport for a few hours before hopping on a flight back home. You were deemed as not making the necessary offerings to the Singapore economy.

There were tales of them deporting people which is nasty, first you get deported back to Bali, where you are refused entry before being finally deported back to your home country.

More viable if you stay a couple of days and mix up the visa run trips to other locations so as to spread it out a bit and cross palms with silver.

B211A is also a good option though it's just about doubled in price since covid.

Honestly didn't know if this is currently an issue but the consequences are significant so worth considering.

EDIT see you have posted similar in another thread and are aware of this already. Afraid I have no new information.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dori and Balifrog

SpeedDave

Mar 11, 2018
Thanks for the info britoo
Yes I did ask in another place but didn't get an answer, so I asked again now that the forum seems to be working a bit smoother now.

Looks like the B211A is the better option for me at this time.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Thanks for the info britoo
Yes I did ask in another place but didn't get an answer, so I asked again now that the forum seems to be working a bit smoother now.

Looks like the B211A is the better option for me at this time.
Whatever you do find out it would be great if you could update the original post to reflect the present reality.

Reactions: Dori and SpeedDave

gtrken

Nov 4, 2007
Perth W Australia
Wouldn't a multi entry visa ( D212) be about the same price as doing a 30 day then 30 day then exit with a lot less hassle?

A D212 as far as I can see gives you a maximum of 60 days per time but you can fly out and fly straight back with out having to stay in Singapore for a few days as your visa is still current?

Prices I am seeing for a Multi visa ( D212) are around the 5,500,000Rp and valid for 1 year through an agent?

Cheers
Visas make my head hurt
Ken

Last edited:
Reactions: SpeedDave

gtrken

Nov 4, 2007
Perth W Australia
Thanks !
Had not heard of the 212 so I'll check that one out :cool:
From what I can see the advantage of a D212 over a B211A is that with the B211A its a one shot visa. Means that once you leave the country for whatever reason it lapses and you have to reapply.
The D212 you can come and go as many times as you like in the 1 year validity and each time you re enter Indonesia it resets for another 60 days. This visa can be got with a 5 year validity if you want but I think it gets expensive.

Which seems to be the best option as have family in Oz and still want to come and go, even after I retire plus I can use the Travel insurance each time which at my age reckon it works out cheaper than paying for full time Expat insurance. Yes I am aware of the BPJS but will wait for a while and get more feedback on this...

Cheers
Slowly working it out
Ken

SpeedDave

Mar 11, 2018
Having a poke around the official immigrasi web site and found the "D1" visa.
1 year (3,000,000) or 2 years (6,000,000)
multiple entry, 60 days at a time with each instance able to be renewed twice. ( so 180 days on a single entry )

Anyone heard about this or using one ?

Hmmm, okay, this looks like it is for official visits and family unification.

1696993986452.png
1696994059881.png

Last edited:

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Having a poke around the official immigrasi web site and found the "D1" visa.
1 year (3,000,000) or 2 years (6,000,000)
multiple entry, 60 days at a time with each instance able to be renewed twice. ( so 180 days on a single entry )

Anyone heard about this or using one ?

Hmmm, okay, this looks like it is for official visits and family unification.

View attachment 3832
View attachment 3833
Use an agency, explain them what you want and see what they have to offer.
Contact 3 of them by mail, then visit the one(s) that seem most interesting.
A bit more expensive but less stress, and less visits to Immigration Dept.

Reactions: SpeedDave

SpeedDave

Mar 11, 2018
Use an agency, explain them what you want and see what they have to offer.
Contact 3 of them by mail, then visit the one(s) that seem most interesting.
A bit more expensive but less stress, and less visits to Immigration Dept.
Thanks Balifrog,
I am swiftly coming to that realisation.
There seem to be lots and lots of them extolling their virtues on all forms of social media.
Maybe forum members could share who they have used and their experiences good or bad ?

Balifrog

Dec 30, 2017
Thanks Balifrog,
There seem to be lots and lots of them extolling their virtues on all forms of social media.
Maybe forum members could share who they have used and their experiences good or bad ?
I will PM you the one I use since 6 years.

Located in Sanur, they may have branches elsewhere but I don't know them.

britoo

Sep 11, 2018
Thanks Balifrog,

Had a friend who was on the D212 and he had no trouble at all but the obligatory visa-run every 2 months is a lot of hassle and quite expensive compared to the B211 where the agent will handle everything onshore and you'll just have to rock up once every 2 months to immigration for fingerprints.

So I think the use case matters. If like Ken you want to FIFO or if you had planned to do some side trips whilst in Bali (every 2 months) then the D212 hits the nail on the head.

For a 12 month block it will cost you 5 - 6 Jt with agent fees + 5 visa runs which are going to be around (guesstimate) 6 - 8 Jt + a pop so all in about 35 - 46 Jt plus the hassle of 5 trips. Easily more of course.

The B211 for 12 months will cost about 2 of 7 Jt plus 2 visa runs at 6-8 Jt so about 26 - 30 Jt and absolutely no hassle having to plan and organise the next visa run within a week of getting back from the last one.

So the cost difference is hardly a deal breaker either way, though it's a good few *s on the beach even at today's prices.

For me, on the basis of wanting to kick back and relax in Bali, the B211 is a better fit as the endless 2-monthly cycle of booking and doing the visa-run to the usual suspects; SingAbore, KL or mixing it up Penang is a grind I'd rather not endure.

Different answer if I had a need or reason to travel to these specific locations every 2 months.

Just my thoughts.