xCookie st.

Jun 8, 2014
Hi forum, this is my first post here and look forward to informative responses.
I'm arriving in Bali mid July and will be checking out property options in the event I decide to move there.
Are there shopfront estate agents?
I've looked at online agents but would like to walk into a shop if I see something in the window that interests me.
I'm staying primarily in Sanur as a base but will be travelling to other parts.
Thank you

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
look on poles in the areas you want. there are a few offices in sanur and other areas.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
xCookie st. Welcome to the forum.

You will find many realtor shop-fronts with pics in Sanur and other areas like Jl. Sunset...the main thoroughfare in South Bali. Also, look at any of the grocery store walls and advertising magazines for expats. Just be careful who's listening when indicating that you might be interested in buying property...or the 'secondary marketeers' will be around you like flies. Gaining a commission is like a 'right of passage' to the Balinese...seems everybody knows someone who is selling something.....and everybody gets a 'cut'!

Last edited:

xCookie st.

Jun 8, 2014
xCookie st. Welcome to the forum.

You will find many realtor shop-fronts with pics in Sanur and other areas like Jl. Sunset...the main thouroughfare in South Bali. Also, look at any of the grocery store walls and advertising magazines for expats. Just be careful who's listening when indicating that you might be interested in buying property...or the 'secondary marketeers' will be around you like flies. Gaining a commission is like a 'right of passage' to the Balinese...seems everybody knows someone who is selling something.....and everybody gets a 'cut'!

Thanks davita and others for your quick response. Your advice is very much appreciated. I have the Ray White addresses as a first stop.

Joe Writeson

Jul 30, 2013
Indonesia
Just the one word of warning, at the outset be careful who you share your mobile number with, probably best to buy a new number solely for your real estate quest.

Once your number is in the public domain sales personnel will think nothing of ringing you at 06.00 Sunday morning to discuss yet another 'amazing deal' ...strangely enough, I think 'nothing' of it either!

Joe - the voice of reason ...as opposed to raisin.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I learn new things everyday Thanks

hehehe! Ok smoke...I like satire.... so should I take it you think that calling Jl. Sunset a 'thoroughfare' is overly expressive...:lemo:

Not knowing where the OP comes from and his experience of Bali, maybe I should have explained better...

if French....autoroute; if German...autobahn; if Italian...autostrada; if USA...interstate; if UK...motorway; if OZ...beef road

to the rest of us in South Bali ....the main 'machet' drag.... where I spent nearly 1 hour yesterday afternoon going from Galleria to Jl Kerobokan...then another hour to Umulas!:icon_eek:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
If you are interested in buying a house, as opposed to buying a property and building a house then the realestate agent is your best bet but it will cost you.

If you wish to buy a property and build then there is another route advisable - you decide.

Why not just lease a place for a year or two?

If it's peace and quiet you are after then stay away from the south of the island and Ubud (I know, writers go there like flies to horseshit).

davita

Mar 13, 2012
no Davita you stated it the the main thouroughfare in South Bali.

Ok Smoke...I assumed we were both amused as we both know Bali traffic...but, it seems, acccording to your above quote, that was a compliment too far.

^#10 pedantically challenges 'the' and/or 'a' MAIN in my post.
Why don't you have respect for me and yourself and dignify your own statement?

Pete12345

Jun 10, 2014
Hello

You can also look in local newspapers as there is for instance The Bali Post. Many houses and villas are listed there, many times directly by the owners, so that there is no need to work with agents (professional or non-professional). That can lower the buying prize because no sales-commission for agent.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
You can also look in local newspapers as there is for instance The Bali Post. Many houses and villas are listed there, many times directly by the owners, so that there is no need to work with agents (professional or non-professional). That can lower the buying prize because no sales-commission for agent.

Hi Pete 1-5..welcome as I see this is your first post....why don't you tell us something about yourself as introduction, like, are you local/expat or from Karengasem... you will be welcomed not-withstanding........j/k.........local forum joke about a senior poster.
For example...Bali Post is written in bahasa Indonesia...do you know what the adverts say?

Pete12345

Jun 10, 2014
Hi Pete 1-5..welcome as I see this is your first post....why don't you tell us something about yourself as introduction, like, are you local/expat or from Karengasem... you will be welcomed not-withstanding........j/k.........local forum joke about a senior poster.
For example...Bali Post is written in bahasa Indonesia...do you know what the adverts say?

I am expat and live in Renon. Reading / decifering the newspaper ads is not so difficult I think. Abbreviations: KT = Kamar tidur = bedroom, KM = kamar mandi = bathroom etc etc. You can also always use an internet translator tool like from Google. Or ask an English speaking local (for instance your guide / driver) to translate for you.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I am expat and live in Renon. Reading / decifering the newspaper ads is not so difficult I think. Abbreviations: KT = Kamar tidur = bedroom, KM = kamar mandi = bathroom etc etc. You can also always use an internet translator tool like from Google. Or ask an English speaking local (for instance your guide / driver) to translate for you.
thank you pete 1-5 ....aren't you past your bedtime...better go to sleep before your parents return from the knutz duckz.

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
If four lanes each way don't make it the MAIN thoroughfare in Bali then I'll eat my flip flop.

Ok Smoke...I assumed we were both amused as we both know Bali traffic...but, it seems, acccording to your above quote, that was a compliment too far.

^#10 pedantically challenges 'the' and/or 'a' MAIN in my post.
Why don't you have respect for me and yourself and dignify your own statement?

Markit get ready to eat your flips flops again ( last year you ate em also !.. cause the road wide not mean it the main thouroghfare cause then maybe toll road be the main thourogh fare it wider lol Time to eat your flip flops bring em when you come from your cave in the east and use the 4 lane wide road

Davita using the Main Thouroghfare how do you get from DPS airport to lets say nusa dua , how about Jimbaran to dreamwalk ? maybe you want to go to Padung Bay for a 40,000 rupiah ferry ride from Kuta how do you go? Davita make sure you take your meds

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I sincerely apologise to all forum members for my parochial thinking of the only thoroughfare in Bali was Jl Sunset.

How insidious was my thinking as I lounged in my limo with the darkened windows…oblivious to my surroundings…and angry at my driver for scratching his potong rambut head when I insisted he wears the peaked cap I bought for him from Harrods in London.
The sun was shining but the limo A/C was climatically controlled…which was a blessing as my vintage Hatten rose wine was also nicely chilling in the 12volt cigar lighter connected ice bucket that I bought last week from ACE….and strangely…still works!
I opened tomorrow’s Bali Daily and was regaled by the news of the opening of the new super highway connecting Kuta with the new airport. I struggled with my newish smartphone GPS to identify where the highway and airport was on Google Earth but failed…this smartphone is either not so smart or Google Earth is completely out of touch with reality...I thought. The bypass around Ubud, Singeraja and Lovina were also not apparent, but I didn’t despair because Smoke will advise me on that one…I surmised.

My languishing was interrupted whilst parked at the traffic lights between Sunset and Dewi Sri…”Are we still here?” I asked my driver. “Yes! bapap…we’ve been her a week!’ he replied. Then I heard this tapping on the window so I touched a button and damn…the window rolled down. There was this tousled haired, sweaty, but sweet faced girl with a baby in her arms, asking for money. I said ‘Didn’t I give you alms before?” “No sir” she responded “That was my grandmother”. Not wishing to offend I asked “so, how is she doing?” “She’s fine bapap and now a senior partner in Sky Garden…you remember that place where you used to have fun…before you got married.”
As I'm generous to a fault I gave her the usual rumpled Rp2000 note. She said "Sir, there's been inflation". "really...Tell that to my UK Pension people!" I grumbled as I rolled the window up and the note fluttered to the floor...I heard something like F** and head and... you need more than me...

That’s when I woke up in a sweat…..to be greeted by my darling wife offering a cup of tea and today’s Bali Daily. On opening the newspaper I realized I clearly hadn’t been dreaming…. ‘coz the lead article still commented about another airport and highway and how the Bali Governor was concerned about beggars!
:icon_e_biggrin:

Last edited:

xCookie st.

Jun 8, 2014
Thanks to all those offering relevant comments. I got lost in the argy-bargy that followed but makes for lively reading.