Jan Felton

Dear fellow expats,

I thought I would send out a plea for help. My wife and I live in Dubai and are in the process of renovating a fabulous Scottish house on the banks of Loch Lomond to turn it into a holiday house for groups up to 20. 10 years ago we furnished our house with furniture from Bali and most has stood the test of time. In September we plan to return and to do the same. As such we have a number of questions you may be able to help us with. We would be very grateful for some guidance.

1) Bali or Java - I have read its cheaper in Java. Who could we contact to arrange a trip there and would they also have all the other home wares and accessories that they have in Bali?
2) Buying Agent or do it yourself? I like the idea of a local expert but am concerned if they are on commission that they would not have my best interests at heart. Are there any that work on a flat rate?
3) Who would you recommend as professional with excellent quality?

Any other tips you may have would be most welcome.

All the best

Jan Felton

Hi Jan, I can very highly recommend someone who has done just what you want for years and has many return clients. I’ll pm his details to you.

Great idea with one small caveat - there is some very recent EU legislation to tighten up the use and import of many tropical woods - check first or cry later?

In you place, and presuming you want masses of furniture, I would go to Java and look at it all myself - you will get a better price and you will be able to check for the quality of the wood (no termites/treated. well dried - kiln? to prevent later shrinkage) your furniture will be made of and stipulate sizes and models.

Again, if I was in your place I would have the stuff designed to fit your exact desires and then travel around Java visiting workshops with the plans and getting quotes from all the players - and make no secret of what you are doing. Competition livens the market.

Back