no.idea

I realise that has been happening for a while however some of the newer arrivals may not know about this particular scam.
The procedure is that these folks get the names of various school children and the family home phone numbers by various means. They will then ring the parent stating that the child has had some type of serious accident. Of course the child will be in some unknown hospital and needs emergency blood, oxygen or various other medical needs.
The parent is asked to immediately put money into a bank account to ensure that everything can go ahead and avert this life threatening event.
Meanwhile the child is at school with no concerns about anything.
Three friends have had this scam tried on them in the last month. A few of the schools who are aware of it have sent circulars home alerting parents to the possibility of this scam happening.

Thanks for sharing this. I can imagine an emotional parent will do anything if they get this kind of phone call. It kind of highlights the problem where anyone can get a SIM card without showing any kind of ID. Shame on the schools however for letting this kind of data get out.

I realise that has been happening for a while however some of the newer arrivals may not know about this particular scam.
The procedure is that these folks get the names of various school children and the family home phone numbers by various means. They will then ring the parent stating that the child has had some type of serious accident. Of course the child will be in some unknown hospital and needs emergency blood, oxygen or various other medical needs.
The parent is asked to immediately put money into a bank account to ensure that everything can go ahead and avert this life threatening event.
Meanwhile the child is at school with no concerns about anything.
Three friends have had this scam tried on them in the last month. A few of the schools who are aware of it have sent circulars home alerting parents to the possibility of this scam happening.

wow, that's a new one. They must think we are stupid though, what takes less time to get to the said hospital than it does to do a bank transfer in Bali.

It's not just a bule thing, they do not target westerners. Happened to my wife and they have no data on me. Sari helped a staff member with getting medicine she got logged. Someone is giving out the database and they do the the telesales scam, just like the west.

My advice is don't get logged, google-

I haven't tried this before, but my language teacher said if someone asks you for information that you feel is too personal, just smile and say "jalan-jalan" - a polite way to say none of your business, I'm walking around your question. Anyone try that response before?

Hi Remoteplanet

The answer "Jalan Jalan" is not something you can reply if someone asks a random personal question.

You will answer Jalan Jalan if someone asks "Mau Kemana" (where are you going) which is the Indonesian version of our "How are you".

Good to see though that you are taking Indonesian language courses as many expats have been here for several years and have never bothered learning the language!

Back