davita

Mar 13, 2012
I would go for Canggu. It wont be super-crowded for another 4 or 5 years.:icon_cry:

Very funny....it recalls a comment on another forum quoting Yogi Berra..."Nobody goes to Bali...it's too crowded". I liked that.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
One of the "problems" with Canggu, IMHO, is that it's too close to the Seminyak-Legian-Kuta-Tuban areas, with their horrendous daily traffic congestion. Getting around can be a real hassle. Sanur doesn't usually suffer from that.

One of the good things about Sanur is its location. It's very close to Denpasar (if you need to go there).
It's also a good starting point to go to places such as Ubud, East Bali (like Candi Dasa), nearly anywhere, in fact (even futher south to Kuta-Canggu, etc).

Sanur has a wide range of easily accessible facilities and attractions.
I have lived in various areas in Bali over many years and my personal favourite pick these days is definitely Sanur.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
About 5 years ago I spent 3 weeks in the Hyatt Sanur. Then Sanur was jokingly referred as SNORE and for oldies. I agree it was not terribly exciting after dark.
Recently, I went to have dinner there and found the evenings were much more lively. We also attended the festival a week or so ago and it was fun...so no more snore...it's Sanur

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
Lets just keep Sanur to ourselves and send any newbies to Kuta and surroundings ;)

Lea

Jun 11, 2012
Have just moved to Sanur...Any recommendations on eating places...Tried the buffet Chinese across from the Hyatt...Great food but expensive....

jennmark

Oct 12, 2012
The missing zero in your post jumped out at me straight away. Take the advice given by Mark and also backed up by Rangi.
I talk with and assist a fair number of people who are thinking of moving to Bali.
Three months back a good friend of mine leased a two storey three bedroom, three ensuite villa. This also has a pool. The rental was 110,000,000 per year. This is quite normal on the ocean side of the bypass road in Sanur.
Away from the ocean it is possible to get places for 30,000,000. Of course these do not have a pool.
Feel free to contact me when here. It is a simple matter to slip into my car and drive around the place. As previously mentioned signs of rental villas will be on trees and gate posts.
Just the same as in the western world, people have addictions here. One of the big ones is the gambling addiction. At times some ridiculously cheap bargains come up. Some of these lead to money making opportunities that the everyday tourist will never see or believe exists.

Hi no.idea - is that offer open to all? I certainly could do with a catch up with someone in-the-know. I leave Sanur for NZ on the 18th October (Thursday).

Dhi

Sep 23, 2012
Bali
Hi there! just jumping on the thread! I too am in bali from tuesday(16th). I was going to post a separate thread but I'd really love to catch up with some people in the know! I'm staying in seminyak though. Until the 25th. If we find a school we like we'll be back to settle the following week. So housing area will depend on which school suits us best. Would love to be kept posted of any get together if it happens or if someone would like to come and meet me to fill me in on how to find housing and services. Is it best that we rent something short term to start to give us time to look around?

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Hi Lea and welcome to Sanur.

There is no shortage of good places to eat around here.

Of course, I don't know what you really like and I'm not about to make a long list for you.
The following places are definitely worth trying (in no particular order):

KKN (on the By-Pass Road between Splash Bakery and Kimia Farma - before the main police station on the other side of the road - good value seafood, etc, and very popular with locals - even has free wi-fi, when they remember to turn it on)

ARENA Sports Bar (on the By-Pass maybe 50 metres south of McD's - good food, great bar and quite reasonably priced for what you get)

JIMMY'S CAFE (Jalan Danau Tamblingan next to the corner for Jalan Pantai Sindhu - very popular with expats - nice and friendly place)

THE DUCK'S NUTS (also on Jalan Danau Tamblingan, further south - also popular with expats)

THE AMSTERDAM CAFE (right at the entrance to Hardy's Supermarket)

A small place right next door to Bank BII on Tamblingan (I forget the name - something to do with ducks or angels, I think -local fare and popular)

THE PANTRY (or, next door to it on Tamblingan, just south of Hardy's on the opposite side - good, but maybe a little bit pricey)

PADANG food (Jalan Danau Poso, next to On-On Bar and Angel's)

THE WICKED PARROT
(Tamblingan)

There are many others - this is just a "taste".

jennmark

Oct 12, 2012
Kesuma's restaurant is right on the beach, just south of the Hyatt. It's grilled fish (pick your own off the ice) is cooked in such a way that you can take big chunks of flesh off without bones being annoying - all for around 9,000 Rp/100grams. So an great sized snapper will cost less than 90,000 Rp including chips and salad. Just north of the Hyatt (still beachside) is a small warung/restaurant called Warung Pantai Indah - the staff are pretty friendly (though laid back), the floor is sand, and everything on their menu is delicious, especially (imho) the beef kebabs. That's all I ever order from there nowadays. It's a little hard to find via the road as it's down a long grassy empty lot - the entrance is kinda opposite Corriander restaurant on Jl Tamblingan. Then there is the near famous Benno's, right outside Sindhu Beach Market. I love their pork spare ribs and the warm pork mandarin salad. Their mango juice is absolutely divine!

Larnes

Jul 28, 2008
Warung Pregina on Jl Danau Tamblingan, opposite Wicked Parrot or thereabouts. First and last place to eat for us in Sanur. Not much on the beach impresses me, they are all the same these days. Bennos is ok but very western. Kami Sama Sama used to be great, but when it reopened a few years ago, it really was the same too!
There are a couple of good padang places on the bypass. Is it Billy's (on the corner of the road to the German consulate from Jl Danau Tamblingan?) they did a great Ayam Bakar and Ayam Goreng

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Hey, Johnny, you forgot Kalimantan, aka Borneo (pub, cafe, or warung), off Jl Danua Tamblingan. I believe Bob is still in control there. Great, cheap food, a good place to connect with expats.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
@tintin

I didn't forget Borneo Bob's.

I didn't have the time or inclination to attempt to put together an exhaustive list of Sanur eateries.
There are many I could have added to the list.
I wanted to keep it brief and simple for Lea who asked in the first place.

Normy

Jul 22, 2012
Perth, Sanur
Borneo Bob is still there. Didn't look too well last month. Very quite and peaceful place. Anjani on beachfront is ok. Stopped eating at Kami Sama Sama about 5 years ago after seeing rats running (daytime) very close to food prep. area. Read recently that a truck hit a tree and damage was done to Billys. Lisa, about opposite Griya Santrian is nice.

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Since Borneo has been in Sanur for at least as long as I can remember, 1984, and Bob has been, and still is well known and liked among the expat community, I thought it deserved a mentioned. Just saying.

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
Since Borneo has been in Sanur for at least as long as I can remember, 1984, and Bob has been, and still is well known and liked among the expat community, I thought it deserved a mentioned. Just saying.

It is obvious you have not been in Bali for a while. Bob is well liked but the food they serve from his kitchen is not liked by me.

no.idea

Feb 22, 2011
Sanur
Have just moved to Sanur...Any recommendations on eating places...Tried the buffet Chinese across from the Hyatt...Great food but expensive....

If you want decent Chinese food try the Fortune Cookie on Jalan Sudamala. For very good local food try Warung Parahyangan on the intersection of the same street. Sale e Pepe at the same intersection is far and away the best Italian restaurant in Sanur. Little India is a great Indian restaurant.
Sweet Magnolia on the beach at Pantai Mertasari is a nice place to spend a few hours.
If you want a good size meal or breakfast try the Bali Senia on Jalan Danau Poso. The clientele there are primarily single FIFO out workers so the place may look a tad rough but the food is excellent.