G

Hi

Has someone information about Kompleks especially designed for seniors who want to retire in Bali. There are several projects in Thailand providing different housing sizes or appartments as well as services like doctor, cleaning, drivers, etc. especially designed for the elderly. I am not looking for a single house or villa but be part of a kind of community within a kompleks. Thanks for any information.

G

Hi gunung

Has someone information about Kompleks especially designed for seniors who want to retire in Bali.

I don't know of any such places around Bali. In Indonesia, what you're referring to are "perumahan" which are basically condominiums. Again, I know of none specifically targeted at elderly retirees. It also sounds like what you're looking for is some kind of private retirement home/complex.

The closest you'll get, in my opinion, is an up-market condominium thing that might have a doctor on-call. "Seniors" with any serious on-going medical problems are best advised not to come here at all. Unless they are especially adventurous and have lots of travel insurance.

I suppose I'm a western "senior" retired here. I rent my house and have some travel insurance. I have no idea what will happen if I have a major problem in the future. Like I said - for the un-afraid and adventurous, no big deal. So long as they realise the "risks" and don't worry too much about them.

:)

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Hey Rien

Maybe Pak Roy's "perfect" Balinese village is working on it.

Although many Indonesians (including Balinese) "respect" older people, I think these days it's a case of diminishing returns. Or maybe a by-product of of the modified physical law of attraction; the inverse one, where the closer you come, the further you'll be thrown, sooner or later.

Bali is not immune to this kind of attitude, no matter what established expats think (or dream). Everybody has to grow up sometime.

If you and others who read this think I'm being ovely negative and nasty - so be it. I am not trying to stir up people for no reason. If I see things here on this island differently from some others, I'd like to think it's because I'm not blind yet. If Pak Roy brings up the line about how come I've been robbed/ripped-off so many times in the past (which I have), my answer is that I've never lived in some kind of impervious cocoon. And never will. And never want to.

I'm not sure I'm on the right thread for this and unfortunately, Rien, you've copped it. Watch for Roy's reaction. I can feel it coming.
:oops:

JabberWokker

Nov 10, 2005
Bali
Hi Sanurian,

I think it is interesting to have different people’s opinions. But as a matter of interest after all of your troubles in Bali, would you prefer to live anywhere else :?: And if so why :?:

G

Dear JabberWokker
But as a matter of interest after all of your troubles in Bali, would you prefer to live anywhere else
Maybe "Heaven" might be a go but all my best friends who've died so far are definitely in "Hell". I'd rather be there. (I think.)
I don't have enough money to explore every place on the planet that I've dreamed of. I'm sure you don't either. Life's like that, my friend...tantalisingly obtuse, abstruse, or whatever other adjective/adverb one tries to put on it.
I defy anybody to answer your question to me completely honestly.
The "best" place to be is probably the one we're in...we just have to figure out how to survive there elegantly.

Being a real alien, I'd like to go back home. After nearly 60 years on your planet, I still can't find spare-parts to fix my broken space-ship. Yeah - you'll probably laugh at that, think I'm a complete nutter, etc etc...But what if I'm telling the truth?

For sure I'll get into trouble about those commments one day, but it's not your problem. People from my world are more or less gentle - there are many others out there who are not.

I've already said too much - maybe I'm a "masochist" and enjoy punishment. Or maybe I just enjoy pushing peoples' envelopes.
Self-portrait/emoticon follows:
8)
(Just joking...OK?)

JabberWokker

Nov 10, 2005
Bali
Sanurian logged in as a guest said:
The "best" place to be is probably the one we're in...we just have to figure out how to survive there elegantly.

I like your answer – well “no pain no gain” :) .

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Frankly Sanurian, I think you would have problems surviving in a women's prison with a fist full of pardons! :p

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Sanurian,

On a more serious note, (and yes, you deserved that smack), it is not me who has determined Bali as very attractive for retirement. That was established last year by a poll conducted by the AARP...the American Association of Retired Persons. They have a membership of over 20 million people. In the poll they conducted, Bali came in 5th worldwide as the place most retirees would like to settle.

Gunung,

To more seriously answer your question...no, right now there are no retirement communities in Bali...but you can bet that soon enough it will happen. In my own village, just outside of Ubud and along the Ayung River, our community is planning such a facility to be built on at least five hectares of village owned land and right along the river’s edge with fantastic views of the Ayung River gorge. This will be a fully self-contained retirement community, but within it we will be re-building our primary and secondary schools, as well as a medical clinic specializing in geriatrics. Additionally, there will be a helo-port for emergency medivacs to the international wing of Sanglah hospital in Denpasar...about 15 minutes by helicopter.

The Ubud area, especially along the Ayung River has one of the best year round climates in all of Bali. It has moderate humidity, clean fresh air, and maintains an average daily temperature of 84 degrees Fahrenheit with little daily fluctuation.

This project is not a commercial endeavor, but rather community owned, and will be professionally operated by outside experts as needed. The benefit to the community will be that all children can receive complete education at no cost to the families right up to the collegiate level, and that all villagers will have free access to the medical clinic. Conceptually, it will be a village within our village, but totally integrated within the entire village.

The benefits for the retired foreign members of the village will be quality housing...one level only, with all services like laundry, cooking, gardening, cleaning, etc provided by the staff.

Currently, this is all still on “the drawing board” but it will happen as the vote to do this has been finalized by the village “adat” or elders. The concept is seen as a total “win win” situation where both the villagers, as well as the retirees benefit.

Since Rien has finally “come clean” and admit that he has similar plans, you can PM me for more details, which for proprietary reasons, would be careless of me to publicly share.

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
OUCH - that hurt Roy, but it's OK.

Your info about the forthcoming retirement place is interesting. I was wondering when somebody would do it and guessed it was only a matter of time.

Oh - and JabberWokker: given your avatar image, I'm not surprised...are you an alien, too?

:shock:

rien.gluvers

Jun 26, 2004
The Netherlands near Rotterdam
Roy said:
Since Rien has finally “come clean” and admit that he has similar plans, you can PM me for more details, which for proprietary reasons, would be careless of me to publicly share.

That "similar" is not quit so. My plans are not to build a retirement village but to build houses or small villa’s aiming at people 55+.
No large compounds but a smaller complex/garden with max. 10 houses/villa’s with shared facilities.
Not for the real fortuned or rich but just the middleclass.
Unique will be the way they will be build. In Holland there is a new way in thinking about building. If you want to build a house to become old in you best can anticipate on physical limitations which comes with that. So these house have to be easily being transformed when, because of diminishing physical capabilities, changes has to be made in toilets, showers, kitchen and so on. This adaptations are just a few examples of the things to be considered. The full list of specs of which these houses have to comply to is very long.
One problem is the design of a nice looking house which meets al the demands but the main problem will be finding al the necessary “parts” , like the right taps, shower chairs, etc. in Bali/Indonesia .

Because of this specifics in the plan I am also not hesitating to share my thoughts about it. I for sure know in Indonesia there is not the knowledge of building in this way yet.

Ipanema

Aug 19, 2004
Guys

Can I put my name down for the first one finished, as long as I can bring my dogs with me. :cry:

This time tomorrow night I will be in Bali

Cya in a couple of weeks. Everybody be nice while I am away.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
The "ouch" wasn't intended Sanurian, but this topic has been discussed in the past...almost to death.

And, I'm not the "somebody" to do it, rather, I am only the somebody who will help the Balinese of my village to do it. It is no longer a question of "if" we can pull this off...now it is only a matter of when.

The results of all preliminary studies are blinking green lights. The village commitment has been made. They all look forward to this community of foreign elders within their community. And sure, they also look forward to the revenue which will greatly improve their own lives.

I can't think of a better scenario then when the lives of indigenous Balinese, and the lives of foreign retired people all come together in a common interest and a community bond. Here in my village we will provide the venue from which my village benefits, and the retired community benefits from a very comfortable and enjoyable lifestyle as they live out their lives.

That is one reason that I insisted during adat meetings, on our primary and secondary schools being re-located within this retirement community. All the Balinese elders I know love being surrounded by children, and conversely, most kids I know are fascinated by the elders. The same goes for most western elders, but not all. It's a mutual exchange, of knowledge and culture, and it is priceless. But for those retirees who do not enjoy the kids, no problem as housing units way away from the schools are available.

This whole project is coming together in a most unique manner. In short, it relies on a whole lot of trust and support from all of us in the village. Those, who intentions are purely based on profit, have been delicately “weeded out.” For me, it’s hardest to see what goes on some time, and keep restrained. But, it is working, and going ahead. Frankly, I don’t see these normal “road-blocks” as unique to Bali. They would come up anywhere.

As the old story goes, “to make an omelet, you must break some eggs.” I suspect we will break a whole lot of eggs, and the Gods willing, will succeed in building the best, if not the first, retirement community in all of Bali.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Rien, whatever you want to say is fine with me. I haven’t forgotten the exchanges made on this forum when I first raised this topic.

I am not worried about competition, or other issues like that, as when it comes to a Balinese banjar community vying for the same result, it’s a “no brainer” who will win.

Frankly, I support your project, and will offer any assistance I can to see it happen. Bali can easily support numerous retirement communities, and the more there are, perhaps the better.

You write, that “unique will be the way they will be build.” That’s cool and good luck. Personally, in Bali, if I were retiring for the rest of my life, I would want my house to be
built within the standards of the Balinese....with longevity in mind, and not some experimental project. But...to each their own and I wish you good luck.

JabberWokker

Nov 10, 2005
Bali
Re: RE: Residence for seniors / retire in Bali

Hi Sanurian

Sanurian said:
Oh - and JabberWokker: given your avatar image, I'm not surprised...are you an alien, too?

How did you guess? It's a secret so don't let anyone know :lol:

Sanurian said:
Being a real alien, I'd like to go back home. After nearly 60 years on your planet

So your from Roswell :lol: Pity about your friends getting the chop :shock:

Sanurian said:
I still can't find spare-parts to fix my broken space-ship.

Try ebay, you can get anything on it. Just the other day I got a great deal on some Dilithium Crystals 8)

If you want a laugh, download the latest google earth and type in "Area 51" for your search. It will then take you to the base that does not exist according to the US military :roll:. Scroll to the left a bit and you can see some amazing sights of circles and triangles carved into the landscape 8)

We will have to have a night on some Bloodwine when I am over in Bali :)

Catch u later

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
Hey JabberWokker

All apologies to you if I've blown your cover. I didn't mean it.

I've already tried e-Bay (even Makro). Got things like a push lawn-mower, lots of bad fruit and vegetables, some old World Party albums (and Alpha Band, too) - stuff like that. Lots of laughs 'though.

My craft crashed Down Under - maybe "Area 61" (you didn't read that here). Of course I know about the "Roswell" stuff. Still doesn't change anything when one is really truly trapped.

Do you know about all the underground caves and tunnels in Bali? Oops - better say no more.

I don't want to laugh much more right now (starting to hurt). Sharing bloodwine with you sounds excellent.

One parting word of "advice" - lay off the Dilithium Crystals. If you want to cruise the universe with stuff like that, that's your call. But don't drink or eat 'em (at least not too many).

:evil:

Angie

Apr 17, 2004
Melbourne, Australia

Roy said:
This will be a fully self-contained retirement community, but within it we will be re-building our primary and secondary schools

How will you screen for paedophiles Roy? I hope your retirement village doesn't become a haven for such behaviour :cry:

pooochie

Aug 8, 2005
UK

Angie said:
Roy said:
This will be a fully self-contained retirement community, but within it we will be re-building our primary and secondary schools

How will you screen for Pedophiles Roy? I hope your retirement village doesn't become a haven for such behaviour :cry:

:shock: Is it just me? or is everyone becoming very paranoid about this. There are many forums on this subject, so post in them, I think it is time to move on. You should never doubt Oom Roy's commitment to the well being of the Balinese people at all. He has children and is also involved with sponsorship of other children as well as commitment and responsibility to his villages children.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Ni Lih

Angie

Apr 17, 2004
Melbourne, Australia

pooochie said:
You should never doubt Oom Roy's commitment to the well being of the Balinese people at all. He has children and is also involved with sponsorship of other children as well as commitment and responsibility to his villages children.

Ni Lih

Ni Luh, I have never before bought up this topic so object to you telling me to move on about it :evil:

I also do not doubt Roy's commitment at all, so don't patronise me. I simply see the possibility of the village set up in the way suggested as being ripe for exploitation by some deviants.

I am quite sure that the problem has been considered and am just interested in what security measures would be taken to protect the children :roll: