tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
From Bali Update, Bali Discovery Tours, 11/1/2010

Bali News: Old King Coal to Soon Power Bali
(11/1/2010) NusaBali says that a 780 megawatt coal-drive power plant in Celukan Bawang, North Bali will commence construction in November 2010. The project, financed by two Chinese investors, is expected to go on-line in 2012.

The governor of Bali, Made Mangku Pastika, met with Chinese authorities and the project's investors during his recent visit to China with President Yudhoyono. According to Pastika, he has signed a contract with the Chinese investors, clearing the way for the Rp. 7 trillion (US$761 million) electrical generating project.

While in China, Bali's governor also took the opportunity to lobby several large Chinese corporations to invest in Bali's efforts to create a green, environmentally-friendly province.

The Chinese companies reported to be investing in the North Bali power plant under the Indonesian business entity PT General Energy Bali (GEB) are China Hudian Engineering Corporation (CHEC) and China Huadian Development (CHD).

The governor said one of the purposes of his China visit was to confirm whether the proposed power project was a double or triple combustion project. "I wanted to know if (the project) is environmentally friendly. Double or triple? If it is single burn the result is sulfur which is still dangerous. If the by products are processed again the results are environmentally friendly," explained the governor.

The Celukan Bawang facility will be introduced in three phases with 340 megawatts of power targeted to come on line in 2012.

The governor said the investment project for the new power plant in North Bali will be achieved without any financial outlay by the provincial government of Bali.
Are you kidding me? A coal-fired power plant in the Island of the God? Now, that's really going to add to the Bali image. But maybe they found coal on the top of Gunung Agung or Gunung Batur, and they plan the mountaintop removal coal mining of these mountains? I guess the old fart Bali priests consulted with their gods and were told that it was OK with them, in contrast with a real practical, non-polluting geothermal power plant, which had been planned, few years ago, near Bedugul. Preliminary drilling and testing had demonstrated the practicality and feasibility of such a geothermal plant, but the Bali priest "intelligencia" stopped it.I guess their gods love the smell of smoke stacks better than that of dupa.

And someone sold a bill of goods to dear Governor Pastika: no matter how many times you burn the Sulfur, a second or third time, it is still there. What a joke! :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
But then if they increase the capacity to generate locally, maybe we get fewer blackouts. Since they plan to build it at a port, it would seem that the coal will arrive from another island.

Since much of the electricity generated in US or Australia is from coal - who are we to criticize.

Last edited:

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
But then if they increase the capacity to generate locally, maybe we get fewer blackouts. Since they plan to build it at a port, it would seem that the coal will arrive from another island.

Since much of the electricity generated in US or Australia is from coal - who are we to criticize.

I do not disagree with you Ronb, but I think you will agree that a coal-fired power plant in Bali seems so incongruous with the pristine image that the Island wants to project.

Actually, China is building state-of-the-art coal-fired power plants, which are about 44% efficient, way above the old power plants in the US which are, for the most part, 30-35% efficient (I don't know about the Autralian ones, but I doubt they are much better). So, at least, this power plant will be top of the line (Hopefully, the Chinese did not hook-wink Pastika and sold him one of their old clunkers).

My "beef" is mostly that Bali had a "built-in" source of inexhaustible power: the geothermal plant in Bedugul, and it chose not to use it.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali

Bali News: Old King Coal to Soon Power Bali
(11/1/2010) NusaBali says that a 780 megawatt coal-drive power plant in Celukan Bawang, North Bali will commence construction in November 2010. The project, financed by two Chinese investors, is expected to go on-line in 2012.

The governor of Bali, Made Mangku Pastika, met with Chinese authorities and the project's investors during his recent visit to China with President Yudhoyono. According to Pastika, he has signed a contract with the Chinese investors, clearing the way for the Rp. 7 trillion (US$761 million) electrical generating project.

While in China, Bali's governor also took the opportunity to lobby several large Chinese corporations to invest in Bali's efforts to create a green, environmentally-friendly province.

The Chinese companies reported to be investing in the North Bali power plant under the Indonesian business entity PT General Energy Bali (GEB) are China Hudian Engineering Corporation (CHEC) and China Huadian Development (CHD).

The governor said one of the purposes of his China visit was to confirm whether the proposed power project was a double or triple combustion project. "I wanted to know if (the project) is environmentally friendly. Double or triple? If it is single burn the result is sulfur which is still dangerous. If the by products are processed again the results are environmentally friendly," explained the governor.

The Celukan Bawang facility will be introduced in three phases with 340 megawatts of power targeted to come on line in 2012.

The governor said the investment project for the new power plant in North Bali will be achieved without any financial outlay by the provincial government of Bali.
The only "upside" to this: one step closer to independence for Bali! :icon_e_biggrin:

sawbones

Nov 1, 2009
The only "upside" to this: one step closer to independence for Bali! :icon_e_biggrin:

Not a chance. Jakarta is and will continue to throttle the goose who lays the golden eggs.....they will never relinquish their grip.

cabaicabai

May 19, 2010
Yeah drilling is safe, there won't be a huge mud flow swallowing up the island. Can't happen right?

mud-volcano460x276.jpg

:icon_rolleyes:

cabaicabai

May 19, 2010
"The Sidoarjo mud flow or Lapindo mud, also informally abbreviated as Lusi, a contraction of Lumpur Sidoarjo (lumpur is the Indonesian word for mud), is a mud volcano in the subdistrict of Porong, Sidoarjo in East Java, Indonesia that has been ongoing since May 2006.

The biggest mud volcano in the world was created by the blowout of a natural gas well drilled by PT Lapindo Brantas, although company officials contend that it was caused by a distant earthquake.

Approximately 30,000 m³ (1 million cubic feet) of mud — equivalent to the contents of a dozen Olympic-size swimming pools — are expelled per day. It is expected that the flow will continue for the next 30 years. Although the Sidoarjo mud flow has been contained by levees since November 2008, resultant flooding regularly disrupts local highways and villages. Further breakouts of mud are still possible."

Sidoarjo mud flow

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Yeah drilling is safe, there won't be a huge mud flow swallowing up the island. Can't happen right?:icon_rolleyes:

I believe cabaicabai is referring to the drilling on a larger scale which would have taken place, if the Bedugul geothermal power plant would have been implemented.

Tamispecial

Oct 14, 2010
Legian Kaja
Pristine Image?!!!!!:icon_cry:

Haven't you noticed how the coast line of Bali is being destroyed by western development?.....e.g Centro....once was just Centro you could see from Legian beach...look at how that is gradually panning out.....that is just one case of how much Bali is losing it's pristine image......:icon_sad:

Tamispecial

Oct 14, 2010
Legian Kaja
Not a chance. Jakarta is and will continue to throttle the goose who lays the golden eggs.....they will never relinquish their grip.

Aint that the sad truth.....

I feel that with all the price hikes from new and horrendous tax increases.....we can only hope that one day that golden goose will get strangled......

And yes.......Bali Independence I say too:icon_exclaim::icon_exclaim:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Ahh guys geothermal is a fairly high tech solution and, I gotta ask, do we really want the local "powers that be" tapping into a possible new volcano source here in the "ring of fire"? I'm sure I don't - as always the best way to build a new power station is to turn off a few lights and get rid of the old "stand by" systems on DVD /cd players and run those ACs a little less.

I really object to the ACs in hotels here - small rooms with ice refrigeration and thick blankets on the bed - does anybody else see a problem here or is it just me, again?

Oh, and the pictures of the mud volcano - I kind of like it - hell you could for sure sell tickets to the Americans - call it "God's Rectum" maybe?:icon_biggrin:

tobaman

Aug 19, 2010
bali

Are you kidding me? A coal-fired power plant in the Island of the God? Now, that's really going to add to the Bali image. But maybe they found coal on the top of Gunung Agung or Gunung Batur, and they plan the mountaintop removal coal mining of these mountains? I guess the old fart Bali priests consulted with their gods and were told that it was OK with them, in contrast with a real practical, non-polluting geothermal power plant, which had been planned, few years ago, near Bedugul. Preliminary drilling and testing had demonstrated the practicality and feasibility of such a geothermal plant, but the Bali priest "intelligencia" stopped it.I guess their gods love the smell of smoke stacks better than that of dupa.

And someone sold a bill of goods to dear Governor Pastika: no matter how many times you burn the Sulfur, a second or third time, it is still there. What a joke! :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Yeah...Bali need it since it change name from ...island of God to ...island of ruko & apartment ... they really need the power whatever it takes :)