davita

Mar 13, 2012
It's a bit tough on the traveler really. 4 months remaining on their passport and they want to spend a week in Bali.

You know Indonesia as well as I do....when did they ever make anything easy...or use logic?
Lucky I'm off to the pub for my Friday libation otherwise I'd be writing rapturiously about Indonesian systemic difficulty with xenophobia.

Last edited:

geedee

Feb 1, 2014
Sydney
It's a bit tough on the traveler really. 4 months remaining on their passport and they want to spend a week in Bali.

Happened to me,night before I left realised my son had only 5 months on passport.
Called Airline who said they wouldn't allow him to board so he had to go to passport office next day for a fast passport.
Had to wait in cue for cancellations he got one in 4 hours paid double. There were 2 people before him same problem
He came next day cost me an extra $450 flight as I got a cheap unchangable ticket
Costly lesson learned extra ticket,extra 40k for driver and double for passport.

P

paulseawind

Minimum passport requirements

Happened to me,night before I left realised my son had only 5 months on passport.
Called Airline who said they wouldn't allow him to board so he had to go to passport office next day for a fast passport.
Had to wait in cue for cancellations he got one in 4 hours paid double. There were 2 people before him same problem
He came next day cost me an extra $450 flight as I got a cheap unchangable ticket
Costly lesson learned extra ticket,extra 40k for driver and double for passport.

http://www.bloggeratlarge.com/travel-tips/which-countries-require-6-months-passport-validity-2/

Dated 10 July 2015

Anyway, here is a list of countries you need 6 months clear on your passport to enter. There are also a few that you need 1 to 3 months validity and only Australia, USA, UK and Canada will let us in with passports valid for the duration of your stay. If you click on the highlighted dates, you’ll leave this post to go to the proper Consulate information.

Australia – valid for duration of stay

Canada – valid for duration of stay

Dubai – 6 months

Fiji – 6 months

France – 3 months

Germany – 3 months

Greece – 3 months

Hong Kong – 1 month

India – 6 months (actually they say 180 days) And you may need a visa if you’re from NZ, Australia, UK, USA, Canada or the EU

Indonesia – 6 months

Italy – 3 months

Japan – valid for duration of stay

Malaysia – 6 months

Mexico – 6 months is recommended, although you may be able to have shorter if you can prove your length of stay is over before your passport expires.

New Caledonia – 3 months, or duration of of stay for EU nationals

New Zealand – 3 months

Oman – 6 months

Philippines – 6 months

Rarotonga (Cook Islands) – 6 months

Singapore – 6 months

Samoa – 6 months

South Africa – 1 month

Tahiti – 3 months

Thailand – 6 months

UK – valid for length of stay

USA – 6 months longer than your intended stay and a Visa Waiver must be purchased online at least 72 hours before departure for US$14. BUT WAIT! Addendum: after this post was published, all sorts of hooha ensued and it turns out that New Zealand (and all these countries) have signed an agreement with the USA that we can enter for the duration of our passport validity.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
They just zapped someone I know coming in from Heathrow with Emirates. They didn't even let her board the plane in London but hustled her off to get a Garunda ticket within the month to Singapore.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
They just zapped someone I know coming in from Heathrow with Emirates. They didn't even let her board the plane in London but hustled her off to get a Garunda ticket within the month to Singapore.

And you didn't offer qualified advice......shame on you!

davita

Mar 13, 2012

As you have learned....costly mistake....but no-one else to fault.....am I correct?

P

paulseawind

As you have learned....costly mistake....but no-one else to fault.....am I correct?

It's the DIY ticket bookers that get caught this way.
Travel agent users would/should be pretty much OK.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Yes 100% my fault. You are totally correct. I validate you and hope this makes your day

- - - Updated - - -

I agree

Hasn't changed my day one iota, nor will it tomorrow, but it's refreshing to read..'where lays the blame'. Most would find fault somewhere else and not admit to their own errors.

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
I have had two instances of this with guests lately. A friend was staying with me in December. Her teenage son was flying out to join her in Bali. He called her in a panic from Perth because Jetstar were refusing him to board as he did not have a return ticket. In fact he did but it was booked separately and they could not find it. It took mum to screen shot the details and send to him to get it sorted.

The next case was in January when 19 year old Scottish twins tried to board a flight in Amsterdam to Indonesia and were refused as they did not have an outward ticket. They purchased the cheapest ticket out but meanwhile missed their flight. As an added word of warning, they arrived with 2000 pounds of Scottish money - in cash, no credit cards. They could not get their Scottish money changed here. Luckily they found 6 x GBP50 notes and sold their surfboards to see them through then flew to Australia, where I was able to establish they would be able to exchange their cash!

balibule

Feb 6, 2009
If you are not ready to book a return ticket you can just buy a cheap ferry ticket from Batam to Singapore. You can buy your ticket online at SGD 12 per person.

Object moved

Indiedog

Nov 1, 2015
balibule has the right idea - book a cheap ticket even if you're not going to use it. I've been challenged loads of times as I'm in and out of Bali quite frequently. Originally I planned in advance and made sure I had my next trip booked up.

However, I came across this website - https://flyonward.com/en/ They basically book you a real flight ticket - you need to book ideally within 24 hours of your flight to Bali so that at check-in you can present your mobile with your emailed flight confirmation - cost is 9.99 USD. I booked it on my phone and within a few minutes had a flight confirmation come back. You don't have to specify where you are going, just which country you "plan" to leave from

Apparently the flight is actually booked, then cancelled at the 24 hour deadline so if the check-in people look up your flight it does actually exist. The 24 hours can be extended to 48 hours for a higher fee or it is possible to book in advance and have the ticket forwarded to you within the 24 hour travel window.

Great for back-packers and frequent travellers as it's not just Indonesia which suffers from this malaise but a number of other countries too require proof of onward travel within a given time frame.

Indiedog

Nov 1, 2015
Another similar service is onwardflights.com

I've not tried this one but apparently cheaper at 4.95 USD

davita

Mar 13, 2012
I usually buy a full round ticket when flying out from bali. Never had any problem so far (knock on wood)

Hard to find full round airline ticket these days...they're usually e-tickets or, if paper, a little rectangular....maybe in the Princess Flying boat days....before my time..:ghost::cupcake:

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Just amend an old Air Asia or any other online flight itinerary sent to you to reflect coming dates. No one ever queries it, they are far too busy/lazy.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Just amend an old Air Asia or any other online flight itinerary sent to you to reflect coming dates. No one ever queries it, they are far too busy/lazy.

I wouldn't offer the above advice to my worst enemy.

Getting caught trying to enter a foreign country with doctored documents, especially in these troubled terrorism times, could cause lots of problems. No matter how frivolous it may appear.....it is a crime.
Especially in a country like Indonesia.