Ralph

Apr 21, 2010
My name is Ralph, i am new here on Balipod and need some advice:

1. A house with a large garden in a quiet area, rent paid one or maybe two years in advance: how much in rupiah?

2. A 'pembantu' for cooking/cleaning/shopping: how much?

3. Costs of the usual Bali food, especially seafood.

Expect to pay ...

... need some advice:

1. A house with a large garden in a quiet area, rent paid one or maybe two years in advance: how much in rupiah?

2. A 'pembantu' for cooking/cleaning/shopping: how much?

3. Costs of the usual Bali food, especially seafood.

1. If you want one with a pool, aim for 150-250 million rupiah/year. Be aware that a 'quiet area' might be a small, pricey property around Seminyak, or a larger, better equipped (and maybe cheaper) place further out in Umalas or other areas that you may find too isolated.

2. A pembantu will cost about 900,000 - 1.1 million per month. If you have a 'live-in', factor in food, or food allowance - typically 10,000-15,000 per day.

3. Food costs vary widely, depending on whether you want to shop in Western-style delis and supermarkets or in local markets. Restaurant/warung seafood dishes like snapper in Balinese sauce will set you back between 45,000-90,000 depending on how upmarket you want your surroundings to be. The food will taste the same anyway ;-)

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
I think those prices are quite high but you do not state to what standard. You can get a villa with a pool at those kind of prices. If cost is a concern you can get something fairly reasonable from 30 Million up.

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
1.You can find property for rent in the north with a medium garden from 15 million Rupia a year, and upwards for bigger gardens and/or pool.
2. As "borborigmus' says, but I know people who pay less.
3. If you eat in tourist places again "borborigmus" is right. However if you search out 'locals' restaurants you will be paying half that for a full fish meal with drinks. [Non alcoholic.]

Your best bet is to come here and find the area you like, then ask around, get to know the place/people. Be careful, you will be seen as rich and a source of easy money at first.

Jesse

Feb 16, 2010
Melbourne
Your best bet is to come here and find the area you like, then ask around, get to know the place/people. Be careful, you will be seen as rich and a source of easy money at first.

Indeed, being a tourist will make the local thinks you have all the money to spend.

Ralph

Apr 21, 2010
Northern Bali sounds good. Lovina is near Singaradja?
What do you pay for a Bluebird cab from Denpasar to Lovina?

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Lovina is about 10km from Singaraja. Plenty of different places to stay in the north of Bali. As long as you aren't into surfing, it is a great place to live. A taxi would probably be pretty expensive, better to negotiate with a driver. Should cost around 300-400K.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
A house with a large garden in a quiet area, rent paid one or maybe two years in advance: how much in rupiah?
If you can afford somewhere in the range of Rp 50-100 million/year, you might find something (not sure about a "large garden").

I just spent a couple of weeks looking for a place in and around Sanur. Prices here are skyrocketing as the greed virus kicks in. I looked at some 20-30 houses, most of which were of the silly (non-functional) variety and most were overpriced (IMHO). However, only today I found a very pleasant place, fully furnished (tastefully) , with 4 bedrooms, 5-6 bathrooms (?), phone, garage, hot water, a couple of AC's, satellite dish, a very nice (but small) garden, two upstairs balconies with views worth looking at, etc. About 5-10 minutes to Sanur proper. The yearly rental is Rp 55 million.

The funny thing is that I looked at this place a couple of years ago and missed out by a couple of hours of indecision. The asking price was more then, too (Rp 60 million). It was a "bargain" then and even more so today.

BTW - Denpasar to Singaraja/Lovina is quite a long trip. If I were a taxi driver, I wouldn't do it for Rp 300-400,000. Unlikely to get a fare back south. Then again, I'm not Indonesian.

:icon_e_ugeek:

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
I hired a private car for 400,000 inclusive. When you think you can hire a normal vehicle for around that price for a day it is reasonable as it is a 7-8 hour return trip.

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
I hired a private car for 400,000 inclusive. When you think you can hire a normal vehicle for around that price for a day it is reasonable as it is a 7-8 hour return trip.

It takes between 2 and 2 and a half hours to get to Lovina from the airport in Denpasar.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
400,000 seems a lot, every now and then my fiance hires (not sure where) a newish Suzuki Karimun, we pay around 175,000 per day

But Rp 175,000 is very low - I would guess there is no insurance - would make me very nervous.

BKT

Apr 2, 2010
Auckland/Singaraja
It takes me around 1.45mins by bike from Renon to Singaraja, so 2 and a half seems about right by car, all depends on the traffic and whether or not it rains (which it usually does in Bedugal)

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Mat it took me over 3.5 hours airport to hotel in Lovina. Good driver and no problems with fuel included and 6 of us plus luggage.

I thought that was fine and a good deal. After dropping us he went back to Denpasar.

Manny

Sep 20, 2009
Rent a car -- phone number ?

BKT
400,000 seems a lot, every now and then my fiance hires (not sure where) a newish Suzuki Karimun, we pay around 175,000 per day

BKT, can you give me a phone number as I am looking to rent a car (for the month of August) -- I am in Sanur. Thanks

mat

Dec 18, 2008
Singaraja
You could try renting a car from the front of 'Rita Homestay' in the main street of Sanur [not far from Hardy's on the other side.] I used to rent from there and found them reasonable. I did bargain down from the original asking price. I paid a lot less than 175,000 a day, but that was a couple of years ago.

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Picture the scene. Arriving after a 12 hour flight with 6 people and luggage to the airport. Now you want to go looking in Sanur or Denpasar for a car hire?. This sort of thing is fine if you are on the island not if you are just arriving.

I booked in advance through a travel agency. It is not always about the lowest price but also about convenience.