harrydevries

Jan 15, 2013
christisr

I am in Holland now unfortunately, but i was staying in more or less a rented house in Nakula not far from Hammerhead fitness. Before that i stayed in a kos in a gang off the main road (jalan raya seminyak)
There are loads of them, but you should take a couple of days or even a week trekking around the areas to find your kos of choice. You will probably have to view quite a few before you make your choice

Things to look out for when choosing a kos

price versus facilities. WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE PRICE
As a rule of Thumb the monthly price of a koss covers all expenses (water, electricity, security, cuci pakayan and cooking in outside kitchen) and i forgot a few probably.
Mostly not included is parking your car (so you should ask for the monthly fee for parking if you own a car)
Even though everything should be included you must still ask if everything is included in the bill.
If you want to cook your own food: Check if there is a comunal kitchen, most kos complexes don't have a kitchen in every unit but a shared kitchen where everybody can do his or her own cooking, but you should check if it is available or not if you want to do your own cooking.

Bringing a friend is also one thing: If you are single, you might want to invite a friend whenever possible. Some Kos charge a fee for bringing a friend, so you should ask about this too. Unlike many Kos in Jakarta it is probably never forbidden to bring a female since Bali is of course not really bothered by the Muslim laws, but the surcharge is something to ask about.

Don't ask the boss of the Kos if therer is a surcharge when you bring a friend, because then he or she will likely say YES, even if the policy does not have a cover charge, so just ask in general about this, or check the regulations sheet (often glued or celotaped on the door) which will probably tell about this.

Another thing is, check the surroundings of your kos. Is there a supermarket (preferably a big one around) and other things you might find important, that might not be a big issue if you have a car or motorbike but if you are not mobile, this is a thing to consider also.

Before you decide to take the room always check it thoroughly first. Check for broken things or malfunctioning things in the presence of the IBU of PAK kos or caretaker. You should check everything because if you don't you might be held responsible later if you complain that something is broken, even if it was already broken before you moved in.

Check the bed, if you have a bad back or some other malfunctioning body parts it is very important that the bed is suitable for your body. If it is a spring bed you will probably be ok. (i love spring beds)

If there is daily cleaning in your Kos (included in the price) your room will come with a cleaning lady who normally also takes care of washing your clothes. Even though this is included in the price the PEMBANTU will get such a small and pityfull salary that it is considered good policy to tip her monthly (for instance 100.000 rupia) this will also make sure that she will do her utmost to clean your room and clothes well and in time.

Many more things to consider probably but i haven't got any inspiration anymore

Last edited:

Christsir

Mar 8, 2013
christisr

I am in Holland now unfortunately, but i was staying in more or less a rented house in Nakula not far from Hammerhead fitness. Before that i stayed in a kos in a gang off the main road (jalan raya seminyak)
There are loads of them, but you should take a couple of days or even a week trekking around the areas to find your kos of choice. You will probably have to view quite a few before you make your choice

Things to look out for when choosing a kos

price versus facilities. WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE PRICE
As a rule of Thumb the monthly price of a koss covers all expenses (water, electricity, security, cuci pakayan and cooking in outside kitchen) and i forgot a few probably.
Mostly not included is parking your car (so you should ask for the monthly fee for parking if you own a car)
Even though everything should be included you must still ask if everything is included in the bill.
If you want to cook your own food: Check if there is a comunal kitchen, most kos complexes don't have a kitchen in every unit but a shared kitchen where everybody can do his or her own cooking, but you should check if it is available or not if you want to do your own cooking.

Bringing a friend is also one thing: If you are single, you might want to invite a friend whenever possible. Some Kos charge a fee for bringing a friend, so you should ask about this too. Unlike many Kos in Jakarta it is probably never forbidden to bring a female since Bali is of course not really bothered by the Muslim laws, but the surcharge is something to ask about.

Don't ask the boss of the Kos if therer is a surcharge when you bring a friend, because then he or she will likely say YES, even if the policy does not have a cover charge, so just ask in general about this, or check the regulations sheet (often glued or celotaped on the door) which will probably tell about this.

Another thing is, check the surroundings of your kos. Is there a supermarket (preferably a big one around) and other things you might find important, that might not be a big issue if you have a car or motorbike but if you are not mobile, this is a thing to consider also.

Before you decide to take the room always check it thoroughly first. Check for broken things or malfunctioning things in the presence of the IBU of PAK kos or caretaker. You should check everything because if you don't you might be held responsible later if you complain that something is broken, even if it was already broken before you moved in.

Check the bed, if you have a bad back or some other malfunctioning body parts it is very important that the bed is suitable for your body. If it is a spring bed you will probably be ok. (i love spring beds)

If there is daily cleaning in your Kos (included in the price) your room will come with a cleaning lady who normally also takes care of washing your clothes. Even though this is included in the price the PEMBANTU will get such a small and pityfull salary that it is considered good policy to tip her monthly (for instance 100.000 rupia) this will also make sure that she will do her utmost to clean your room and clothes well and in time.

Many more things to consider probably but i haven't got any inspiration anymore

Harry thank you very much indeed.i never have this experience before.I will definitely do like you said.Will go there by end of the month.

Thank you.