harrydevries

Jan 15, 2013
[at] Rambut merah, you must have had a lot of looks in the early days in lombok because of your hair???

Nowadays Lombok is nearly as touristy as Bali (or getting there in part thanks to the new international airport). There actually seems to be a serious efford going on (backed by the government and various enablers) to make Lombok the number one tourist destination in Indonesia. So i guess nowadays you won't get that many looks in Lombok anymore since the people are getting used to tourists there in all shapes, sizes and looks.

Actually i am not in Indonesia at the moment because of work and private reasons, but am planning to return this May. I have not been back to Holland for that long since years but circumstances forced me.

[at] No idea: Well yes i obviously been in the retail stores and Carrefour to check out the fridges, and i have considered buying one but since i am still not formally settled in Indonesia i still stick with the mantra "rent whatever you can". I like to be flexible and 100.000 is still not a big chunk out of my budget so for now i stick with the renting. If i would settle in Indonesia forever i would probably buy a small house and stuff.

One often hears stories that Bali has become a lot more expensive then before, but what is before?? 5 years ago? 10 years ago or 20 years ago?? For me i think it all depends, some things have become cheaper and other things have become more expensive. The most important is the base money or the currency one makes his money in (Euro, USD Australian dollar etc). For example for Australians Indonesia has not become much more expensive the last 15 years or so, simply because the value of the AUD has gone up at least 50% to the US Dollar in those 18 years. (an AUD is no worth more than a USD) And we all know that the Rupia is still more or less linked to the USD.
For people who use or make their money in USD or EURO the story is much different, these currencies are more or less constant to the Rupia since after the KRISMON (however the trend is that they are very slowly depreciating against the Rupia). So the Americans and Eurozone people suffer as much from Indonesian inflation as the Indonesians do.

If i remember well, i went to Bali for the first time in 1995. I came fresly from Australia where i had worked 3 months as a fruitpicker and i had managed to save 3000 AUD. A US Dollar in those days would go for 2500 rupia (pre krismon time) and an australian dollar did about 1500 rupia. (Dutch guilder would do 1100)

I managed to live a bit over 3 months in Bali on those 3000 Australian dollars (including one visa run with ticket from Jakarta to Singapore which took quite a bite out of the savings) and i was living quite frugally, staying in a cheap family run losmen , a garden with small huts around it for 4000 rupia per night including breakfast (where have they gone) Without airco and without anything (but a squat toilet and a simple handmade cold shower outside surrounded by a wall but no roof). But i still went out to Legian often to the nightclubs (i was young) and had a motorbike.

Looking at what the Aussie dollar is doing today in Rupia (a bit over 10.000 rupia) i could probably still manage to live 3 months again on the same 3000 dollar today and probably live even less frugally as i did back then!!!!!!!!

Amazing actually

Last edited:

kiwi

Nov 8, 2010
Brisbane
If you look back at airfares from 20 years ago when I first started to travel into Bali they are about a third of the price and you no longer have to guess what meat is being served on your plate so I have to agree with Harry that its same same but different

mogo51

Feb 25, 2013
I read your post with interest, from what I can see here, there is little difference between the cost of living in Bali and Pattaya in Thailand and would suggest that the infra structure in Thailand is better than Bali. I admit I have not been to Bali for more than 20 years, any comments, or have I missed something?

werecoming

Mar 29, 2012
Tasmania
I went to Pattaya by accident with my wife about 10 years ago. It seemed to be mostly a place where old (or young and disfunctional) western men go to have sex with young asian women at $5 a pop. God I was glad to leave that shit hole......... I did have a serious accident there though and agree that the hospital infrastructure is fantastic.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Agreed, frankly I found Thailand embarrassing as everyone thought I was there for the cheap shagging.

I had the wife with me so it was anything but cheap.

Can't stand the Thais either - 2 faced, mean little assholes.

Other than that it's great. :livid:

mogo51

Feb 25, 2013
Pattaya

Agreed, frankly I found Thailand embarrassing as everyone thought I was there for the cheap shagging.

I had the wife with me so it was anything but cheap.

Can't stand the Thais either - 2 faced, mean little assholes.

Other than that it's great. :livid:
Whilst there is some truth in the last couple of posts about Pattaya, it is not know for family activity, over the hill to Jomtien is the place for families, I am not a family man but like it over there.
So far as the sex trade is concerned - different strokes for different blokes (sorry about the pun) but we cannot generalise, if they dont go there, there are plenty of other places they can go. It is called reality.

werecoming

Mar 29, 2012
Tasmania
Whilst there is some truth in the last couple of posts about Pattaya, it is not know for family activity, over the hill to Jomtien is the place for families, I am not a family man but like it over there.
So far as the sex trade is concerned - different strokes for different blokes (sorry about the pun) but we cannot generalise, if they dont go there, there are plenty of other places they can go. It is called reality.
WOW, Jomtien is the place we stayed at but didn't realise it was classed differntly from Pattaya. Bit like saying Nth kuta is classier nath Sth Kuta. That part of the world should be nuked.............get the locals out then let elona do her stuff.

I hate places where it is full of sex tourists, which is one of the reasons I am planning on moving / retiring in Bali. I know Bali has it but it's not as in your face as other parts of SE asia.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
What attracted me personally to Bali was that whole mentality thing:

1) Everywhere else I've been in Asia and people ask "where are you from?" I have always been greeted with the reply to my admission of Yankee heritage with the immediate gush - "Oh, I would love to go live there!!!". Except in Bali where the answer is more "Oh, that's nice, would you like a drink".

2) I don't care how poor the Balinese are, and some of them are absolutely destitute, they would never, ever sell their children. The Thais will let you have 2 sister as bookends and their brother to tidy up after for a pittance.

Only someone of such low character as me can truly appreciate it in others.

odez999

Jul 4, 2011
I hate places where it is full of sex tourists, which is one of the reasons I am planning on moving / retiring in Bali. I know Bali has it but it's not as in your face as other parts of SE asia.

It should be in your face ... so from start you should know what you dealing with ! If you are "lady of the night" you should act like one not like virgin mary !

And there are a LOT of munafik "ladies" on bali ... A LOOOOOOT !

I admire honesty .. not deception .. but hey ..thats me ! :D

justinbali

Feb 17, 2013
Thirty years ago, one USD was worth 2,000 Rupiah. Those were the days !

I've been living here for the past 30 years, and indeed, Bali has become very expensive and the Balinese have become greedy, but not in my neighborhood.

In the eyes of the people in my neighborhood, I am the wise old uncle who has known most of their dead ancestors. I now often talk to the great-grandchildren of the long deceased Balinese friends I knew in 1983. Of course, some people from that era are still alive, and we oldies regularly come together and talk about the good old times when there was no Bypass Road and less tourists.

I don't remember how many scholarships I gave to my Balinese friends. Some have become lawyers, others became doctors. When I had to undergo surgery three months ago, the anesthesiologist said : Uncle, do you remember me ?

I didn't. He said : thanks to you I could study in Jakarta and in Seattle in America. I'll take care of you, Uncle.

Of course Uncle is an honorary title, I'm not family !

When I left the hospital (Sanglah) there was NOTHING to pay. He knew that I don't have any health insurance.

That is the real Balinese spirit ! And it still exists !

justinbali

Feb 17, 2013
Of course, when one lives in a foreign country the first thing to do is to learn the local language.

Americans, Brits and Australians are not amused when immigrants can't speak English. They should apply the same principle when they move to Indonesia.

I learned to speak Indonesian as well as the Balinese language fluently. Believe me, that is the ONLY way to be accepted over here, and then all the "bule" or "white man" discrimination and "higher prices for white people" thing disappears !

mogo51

Feb 25, 2013
Of course, when one lives in a foreign country the first thing to do is to learn the local language.

Americans, Brits and Australians are not amused when immigrants can't speak English. They should apply the same principle when they move to Indonesia.

I learned to speak Indonesian as well as the Balinese language fluently. Believe me, that is the ONLY way to be accepted over here, and then all the "bule" or "white man" discrimination and "higher prices for white people" thing disappears !

I agree with you, tried to learn some Thai as I go there a lot, but it is a very difficult language to learn. I am in my sixties and it is not easy to learn a languarge at that age, but agree with your comments.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Agree wholeheartedly, it's far easier to improve the English of the locals, and they are far more motivated, than it is for me to learn Bahasa Indonesia.

I have been trying now for about 5 years and now know enough to get myself in deep trouble. But not how to get out again.

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
People in Australia become rude or cross when someone living in Australia cannot communicate well in English. The same is often true in America. The comment often made is, "If they want to live in an English speaking country, they should bloody well learn to speak the language." But I have been living in Indonesia for almost three years and my Bahasa Indonesia, even after many lessons, is pathetic. I do not, though, as I have seen happen many times, get irritated when an Indonesian in Indonesia does not speak English. It is amazing how egocentric some people are.

justinbali

Feb 17, 2013
Indonesians are very patriotic and almost all Indonesians I have met in the thirty years that I have been living here say "If they want to live in an Indonesian speaking country, they should bloody well learn to speak the language."

As a Belgian, I also had to learn the three national languages. Belgium does not have a single unifying language. In the north one speaks Flemish, in the south French, and in the east German.

I also had to learn English in order to be able to communicate with the world.

English speaking people are known for their lack of empathy with regard to other languages.

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
I should add that the French are also known for their arrogance with regard to other languages.

many years ago I saw these french guys at a hotel pool in Kuta, screaming in bad english to indo waitresses that they want this & that; at a glance I thought they're complete idiots...I went there and speak french with them, their attitude changed completely suddenly they were friendly & relaxed...amazing :))

Christsir

Mar 8, 2013
I used to live in Jakarta for quite a few years and only about one year ago decided to relocate to Bali. My only regret is that i did not do that sooner.

In my opinion now the only reason to stay in Jakarta is if you actually have your job there and cannot move. For me i became quite flexible a couple of years ago in my job because it is internet based so i did not have to stay in Jakarta because of my job. Still i stayed quite a long time in Jakarta because i was probably too lazy or too used to the city to consider relocation to another place. My last holiday on Bali however opened my eyes and soon after i moved to the island.

In my opinion if you are flexible to stay where you want there are not many advantages that Jakarta has over Bali. There are (in my opinion) however numerous advantages that living in Bali has compared to Jakarta.
The only advantages (again in my view) that Jakarta has over Bali are:
1) The girls (there are many more beautiful and classy girls in Jakarta compared to Bali)
2) The shopping (Jakarta has undoubtedly more malls and supermarkets where you can buy western stuff etc)

One thing about the girls in Jakarta, when it is holiday season lots of them tend to migrate to Bali (Kuta) for a holiday and i find them already quite hard to approach in Jakarta (often snobby) but when they are in Bali they often are in Holiday mode and therefore much easier to approach. Not that i ever tried to land one but many of my bule friends living around Kuta meet them on the Beach or in the (more upscale mostly) clubs in Kuta.

The advantages of life in Bali are numerous
1) cheaper accomodation (i can easily find a reasonable Kos around Kuta for 1 milllion where i would pay 2 or 3 juta in Jakarta)
2) Cheaper restaurants and better sea food
3) the drinks in pubs and restaurants and in clubs are much cheaper then in Jakarta.
4) Nightlife is much cheaper around Kuta compared to Jakarta
5) Less traffic jams
6) Less pollution
7) Easier to meet easy going people compared to Jakarta
8) People are generally much less snobby in Bali
9) Easy to get around in Kuta because it is small and less congested then Jakarta
10) Holiday mood in Bali
11) Easier to go somewhere nice like a beach or a nice place or the mountains compared to Jakarta
12) The weather is nicer, more sun less rain

etc, etc etc

Regarding my cost of living in Bali:

Accomodation (Kos) I am staying around Seminyak close to Nakula in a 1 million rupia per month Kos. I pay 100.000 extra per month for renting a fridge and the lady that cleans my room (every day) also takes care of our laundry for which i tip her 150.000 rupia per month. Electricity and water and security are included, but i regularly buy a pack of smokes or a beer for the security guys which costs me another 100.000 per month. (It seems to be good to be on good terms with security, one never knows when it comes in handy i guess)
So in all my accomodation costs me 1350.000 rupia.

Hello Harry I'll move to bali on April.I am looking for a kost in Seminyak area,where is your kost?