davita

Mar 13, 2012
Mark
My post #18 and your post #19 are not in disagreement with regard to property rights of your spouse...please re-read my para 3. I said subsequent...meaning...after the wedding.

I don't have evidence but have heard many anecdotes where other Indonesian assets acquired after marriage, even if a pre-nup is signed, only protect the citizen.

Another problem can occur if the WNI spouse dies and family inheritance (especially if married under Muslim tradition) become the issue. The fact that the foreign spouse may need to leave RI, as it's likely the WNI spouse was the sponsor, creates a challenge to fight a court-case....from afar.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
What would happen if you took your Balinese girlfriend back to your country and married her there according to the laws of your land an then returned both to Bali? According to international law that Indo is part of, that would be a valid marriage.

Would you need to remarry here? (marriage is a marriage, isn't it?)

Would the marriage be valid? (I married in the US and it's valid everywhere, drat!)

Mark

Apr 19, 2004
Marriage is generally valid everywhere and recognized through international reciprocity agreements (sorry Markit). However, Indonesians married abroad are required to register their foreign marriage with the relevant authorities within 30 days of returning to Indonesia (even if just for a visit) in order to be considered as married for purposes of Indonesian law. If the authorities don't know about an Indonesian's foreign marriage, they assume that the WNI is single, so any children would be be considered illegitimate and have trouble getting an Indo passport or even a visa if they had a foreign passport, inheritance would be a problem for both the kids and the spouse, and of course the foreign spouse would have no right to a spouse-sponsored visa.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Ok but if they then register with the correct authorities doe this also mean one has to change his or her religion as would be required if they wed in Indo?

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
I think changing the religion part is only if married in indo . Many go to Thialand wed and return and register the marriage .

ferdie

Apr 4, 2013
Near Ubud
I think you guys forgot a big factor about marrying an Indo citizen (include Balinese) with different religion: the family

You can marry her abroad and then register the marriage here, but the problem is whether the family accepts different religion?

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
@Ferdie that would be a major factor and should be carefully thought about.same with asking the girls family for the blessing for engagement.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Wonder if you don't change your religion to suit the family if they will then turn down your money? Them being such good religious people and all...???

Rhetorical Question Warning!!! :devilish:

bundyrum

Jun 16, 2013
tooo much whisky on wedding day gave the house to wife as dowry...and became moslem..such is life...better behave lol.