Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
There's also a pdf file that goes with the spoken texts - used to be free too, not sure if it still is but that was helpful to me too cause I'm a bit stupid and find it easier to remember something if I see it written too.

Jimbo, am I missing something but this is his/her first posting so why the "welcome back" or are you suffering from recurring deja vu?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Wise move - anything and anywhere is better than Nigeria.

Never have understood why my black countrymen don't fall down on their collective knees daily thanking us whites that we kidnapped their ancestors away from that shit-hole Africa.

Asbestos pants are in place :lol:

gunn_parker

Oct 11, 2009
Hi
That was my first post here. I live in Perth but visit when I can. We are coming back in April 2010 for sixteen days. I was lurking around enjoying the forum and I'm have just started to learn Bahasa.
Thanks

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
And a warm welcome to you. Can I just point out one tiny thing.....Bahasa means language not Indonesian. If you want to learn that it is Bahasa Indonesian or if it was German it would be Bahasa German etc.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
The free lessons are great. Grab them before somebody decides to start charging for them.

Now, what about a good dictionary to go with them? One free one that I've used extensively is Kamus 2.04 The website describes it as:

The latest version, an English-Indonesian Dictionary and vice versa. Features : More that 41.000 English-Indonesian word, 35.000 Indonesian-English word and more than 64.000 phrase; 20 nice skins, Clipboard monitoring; Automatic translations, Compact mode etc.
(Don't worry about the occasional spelling mistake or typing error. This is a very useful dictionary.)

http://ebsoft.web.id/download/

(Scroll down to Kamus 2.04 and pick a mirror to download from). It's only a 2.7MB download.

8)

aquaman

Apr 6, 2009
JohnnyCool said:
Now, what about a good dictionary to go with them? One free one that I've used extensively is Kamus 2.04 .......)

Cheers that's way better than the ones I've been using :)

bolli

Nov 28, 2005
Australia
I started with the free lessons but it's actually worthwhile paying for the lot as they have taken out that annoying intro and music before each lesson.
With 3 of us learning it only cost us about $40.00 each plus you get extended lessons and extra language sheets. :lol: :lol:

gunn_parker

Oct 11, 2009
Jimbo said:
And a warm welcome to you. Can I just point out one tiny thing.....Bahasa means language not Indonesian. If you want to learn that it is Bahasa Indonesian or if it was German it would be Bahasa German etc.

Hi Jimbo
Your right, I was just trying to cut down on typing :)
But you are right and I should have said bahasa indonesian.
Cheers

gunn_parker

Oct 11, 2009
bolli said:
I started with the free lessons but it's actually worthwhile paying for the lot as they have taken out that annoying intro and music before each lesson.
With 3 of us learning it only cost us about $40.00 each plus you get extended lessons and extra language sheets. :lol: :lol:

Hi
I have all of the free ones and part one of the paid for ones.
With the free ones I edited out all of the talk, but kept the music as I like it.
This still seems to be the best I have found yet.

SteffandShaz

Nov 16, 2006
Warwick Qld Australia
Hi Markit, thank you for this link and the mp3cutter hint. I have been stumbling through a very basic course I got on CD last time I was in Bali but it's very limited. I'm hoping this will give me a bit more to work with on our next trip over :)

hazman

Mar 8, 2010
indonesian language, not really hard, but not easy..hehe.. like the other language...to learn a new language, first, we should learn about the culture, at least feel the culture...second, learn by doing... anyway, i can help you to learn indonesian language, since i'm an indonesian.. :p

TravelerInBali

Jun 2, 2010
Re: Learning Indonesian.

I just thought I'd let you know, in case you are in Ubud that i have recently discovered a cute little place called Starfish Language Center. The project is part of a non profit, relies on volunteers and is dedicated to teaching ENglish for free to local kids. To subsidize for the costs local Indonesian teachers offer Indonesian classes to foreign visitors. You can chose an intensive or longer course, but the teachers are very well trained instructors and you can really learn very fast.
Good luck to all of you.
Its really not a difficult language to learn.

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
The project is part of a non profit, relies on volunteers and is dedicated to teaching ENglish for free to local kids. To subsidize for the costs local Indonesian teachers offer Indonesian classes to foreign visitors. You can chose an intensive or longer course, but the teachers are very well trained instructors and you can really learn very fast.

The Rotary Club of Bali Lovina is setting up something similar using the local Window to the World school. Income from the courses will help the school.

P

Peggysue

I just thought I'd let you know, in case you are in Ubud that i have recently discovered a cute little place called Starfish Language Center. The project is part of a non profit, relies on volunteers and is dedicated to teaching ENglish for free to local kids. To subsidize for the costs local Indonesian teachers offer Indonesian classes to foreign visitors. You can chose an intensive or longer course, but the teachers are very well trained instructors and you can really learn very fast.
Good luck to all of you.
Its really not a difficult language to learn.

Hi can you give us an address or location of the starfish language centre please

news4me

Aug 21, 2010
Besides from the fact that I still have a hard time remembering words Mark It is right.

learningindonesia.com is really good. You can download the mp3 free of charge from itunes! Really a good help to me!

GregB

Sep 27, 2010
Firstly a big hello to the Balipod community, I've been browsing these pages for ages and this is only my first post. I've just recently moved here to Bali, am Australian for all intents, but have been living the last 4 years in London.

I used the learningindonesian.com podcasts before I arrived also (but I admit I did have to do a little editing as the music was starting to wear thin). I've been here 2 months now and as helpful as the tapes were I think I got the most out of going to classes with other bule like me. So I could practice conversations rather than simply repeating.

I went to Seminyak Language School (opposite Bintang Supermarket) for my level one and it was great, small classes and friendly (yada yada...). I would love to hear if any other members have recommendations for language schools as I am thinking about doing a second course later in the year, would be more than happy to go back to SLS but it never hurts to ask does it?

I live in Seminyak and would ideally like to avoid the traffic to DPS.