jordi

Mar 10, 2011
In a couple of weeks I will have 1 month of free time. I would like to use it for something meaningful.

And I thought that going to Bali to learn Indonesian would be a great idea (I already know some by self-study). I have never been in Indonesia before.

But I also realise that being a tourist location would make locals to be relatively proficient in English and used to foreigners. I am afraid of being in a very tourist-oriented English speaking world disconnected from the real Indonesia.

I am also afraid of Balinese language, I am thinking that maybe people of Bali use Balinese language among themselves and English with foreigners. If that is the case, maybe Yongyakarta (my second option) is better.

I am serious about learning the language, although I also have chosen Bali for obvious reasons (good landscapes, culture, etc).

I have already found a couple of schools:
learnindonesianinbali in Seminyak
and
cintabahasa in Ubud

If someone has any experience with them or any other it will be very helpful.

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
I can't give a recommendation but I'm planning to start classes at Cinta Bahasa as soon as they have enough students for a daytime class.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Probably going to a language school will be good for learning grammar, you could could probably learn more just by spending the month travelling to areas in Indonesia where there aren't many tourists and you will be forced to speak.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
why do u want to learn the language, only for fun?

imho, people who decide to life here should learn to speak Indonesian...it's a sign of respect for the country and it's people.

I'm from the Netherlands and just 'hated' immigrants (maroks and turks) who couldn't speak dutch..
I can just imagine Indonesian people would appreciate a foreigner more if he tried to learn the language.

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
In a couple of weeks I will have 1 month of free time. I would like to use it for something meaningful.

... I am also afraid of Balinese language, I am thinking that maybe people of Bali use Balinese language among themselves and English with foreigners. If that is the case, maybe Yongyakarta (my second option) is better.

I have already found a couple of schools:
learnindonesianinbali in Seminyak
and
cintabahasa in Ubud

If someone has any experience with them or any other it will be very helpful.

I'm in the second week of a four week course at Cinta Bahasa in Ubud and believe it is a great way to learn Bahasa Indonesia.

It is true that Balinese speak Balinese among themselves but they also are fluent in B.I. I know of a 12 year old daughter in one family that hardly speaks Balinese because her family speak Indonesian at home. The Balinese often use Bahasa Indonesia in business. I think you'd find Bali just fine for learning B.I.

steelersman

Jul 3, 2011
I'm in the second week of a four week course at Cinta Bahasa in Ubud and believe it is a great way to learn Bahasa Indonesia.

It is true that Balinese speak Balinese among themselves but they also are fluent in B.I. I know of a 12 year old daughter in one family that hardly speaks Balinese because her family speak Indonesian at home. The Balinese often use Bahasa Indonesia in business. I think you'd find Bali just fine for learning B.I.

How much do classes run at Cinta Bahasa?

Surya Dharma

Oct 3, 2011
Register at Cinta Bahasa website

Dear Polyanna,

I'm friends with the school director, Ochie, who is the volunteer coordinator for the Ubud Writer's and Reader's Festival. Cinta Bahasa has lots of students now. You can register through their website.

S