Pete88

Jun 28, 2012
Hi
I hope you will be able to answer this question for me please.

I am Australian and my wife ( Australian ) have leased some land in Sanur for 30 years plus plus options. My building contractor has finalized the drawings for the villa and has lodged them for the IMB approval.
The land is leased solely in my name and the IMB is applied for in a friends name ( he is Balinese ) as it is more cost effective I was told.
1) Now the building contractor is saying that my friends name ( Balinese ) is needed on the lease contract to get the IMB in his name, Is this true please?

2) To have IMB in my name do I have to get a Kita?

The Villa is to be used by my family, rented to friends on other times
3) What is the difference in price for IMB for Pondok Wonsata I think they call it IMB please?

Thank you in advance
Pete

Georgie

Mar 10, 2011
Bukit
Hi

I am Australian and my wife ( Australian ) have leased some land in Sanur for 30 years plus plus options. My building contractor has finalized the drawings for the villa and has lodged them for the IMB approval.
The land is leased solely in my name and the IMB is applied for in a friends name ( he is Balinese ) as it is more cost effective I was told.
1) Now the building contractor is saying that my friends name ( Balinese ) is needed on the lease contract to get the IMB in his name, Is this true please?

3) What is the difference in price for IMB for Pondok Wonsata I think they call it IMB please?

Thank you in advance
Pete

Hi Pete

here is the link to what you need in the Badung regency, you will have to put it in a translator if you don't read Indonesian.
http://www.badungkab.go.id/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=41&Itemid=49

you will see you need a KTP (local id) or KITAS, it doesn't mention KITAS but I needed one as I don't have a KTP.

no difference in price if local or not but difference in price for Villa to regular house, hotel etc.

Friends had to re-issue their architectural drawings as their house had no Balinese features and a flat roof, they are very strict on that in this region now. Hubby chatted to the IMB guys over coffee at our house when they were doing the neighbours surveys and he invited them in as he invites every Balinese into our house for coffee. They said that's very important now, you used to be able to get away with non Balinese features but not anymore.

Applying for the Pondok Wisata at the same time as the IMB will work out cheaper and easier for you but I am not sure of the price, all prices are based on a per m2, including driveway, septic tank and pool and front wall. our house worked out at a whopping 234m2.

Ask you builder what the cost is per square metre for a Pondok Wisata, I have read on this site most people pay around 10 million, but then I have read that people have paid around 20 million for an IMB when ours was 22,000IDR per square metre (Villa), a normal house is 17,000IDR per square metre and I think commercial with Pondok Wisata comes under a different category but I cant find the list of prices at the moment, I have it somewhere so will post when I find it.

Each regency has different rules, where we work in Bangli Region our office was only about 1.2 million for an IMB. A Bule walking into the Badung regency office is common so they don't put up the price, that's just from past history, now days they are doing it by the book there, which is good to see. Same price, the prices are listed on their wall in the office, if you don't see them ask for the amended Act of January 2012. Helps if you speak Indonesian, most of the guys are Balinese in the office so helps more if you speak Balinese so take a Balinese friend if you are going. They are back logged there at the moment so expect to wait a while. Although one friend got his in 24 hours, he paid a fortune so even though they tell us they wont take money to speed up the process, someone in there certainly did that day (no one was looking that day or they needed to refresh the coffee supplies as they drink a lot of coffee in that office).

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Georgie

Mar 10, 2011
Bukit
Hi

Thank you in advance
Pete

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
hello pete88,

if your balinese friend is on the lease agreement - that would make the application for the Pondok Wisata easier, because an indonesian does not have to set up a company to apply for a PW.
If he is not on the lease agreement - depending on region rules (peraturan daerah), you might get a pondok wisata, if you start a PMA with an indonesian partner who has 51% control over the bussiness..thus lease agreement needs to be in PMA name (indonesian partner signs lease), IMB in pma name (indonesian partner signs), pondok wisata license in pma/indonesian partner name. imho, a lot of hassle and costs.

you can go an alternate route, for example - imb + pondok wisata license, in name of the owner of the land (if he/she is willing)

interesting reading

Georgie

Mar 10, 2011
Bukit
hello pete88,

If he is not on the lease agreement - depending on region rules (peraturan daerah), you might get a pondok wisata, if you start a PMA with an indonesian partner who has 51% control over the bussiness.

This is the second time I have read 51% Indonesian owned, is this new? I don't think we would have started without more than 50%..

ferdie

Apr 4, 2013
Near Ubud
IMHO, my interpretation on pondok wisata license is that it is available only for locals.
The reason is Pondok wisata is considered to be a small business.
The govt wanted to attract foreign investments, but not the small scale ones. The small scale ones would be a competition to the locals who didn't have big capital

Georgie

Mar 10, 2011
Bukit
IMHO, my interpretation on pondok wisata license is that it is available only for locals.
The reason is Pondok wisata is considered to be a small business.
The govt wanted to attract foreign investments, but not the small scale ones. The small scale ones would be a competition to the locals who didn't have big capital

Had an interesting conversation with our lawyers representative in their Bali office yesterday (but I always get a second opinion when dealing with the Bali branch). A pondok wisata, yes indeed has to be applied in a locals name, only required for a house with more than 3 bedrooms. There is a scale 3-5 bedrooms, 5 + and Hotel. mmmm, not sure on that one but as we are not in need of one I have not done a double check. If so, would be interesting for those building 1 bedroom villas to rent out to check any truth in that.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
Thanks for the clarification Gilbert, I guess a small business is fine, I wouldn't want to put money into a house in that situation.
there's a negative investment list for foreigners, list of certain sorts of businesses a foreigner is not allowed to invest in.
currently this list is supposed to be revised.

me personally wouldn't want to put money into setting-up an PMA, solely for the purpose of 'owning' a house. a House wich then maybe or maybe not will be rented out.

@ if by "locals" you mean "indonesians" you are right.