Isn't it amazing

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
RE: Isn

Roy

The name for a lady boy is "Banci" or "Bencong". According to my wife there is absolutely no reason to have them at a Torajan wedding.

And to all the rest it was Ikang Fawzi I was thinking of.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
According to my wife there is absolutely no reason to have them at a Torajan wedding.

Yes, I've heard that too when a wedding involves a bule. I think the idea is, the "lady-boy" is already there! :p

Banci is the word I was looking for...many thanks!

ColinF

Jan 12, 2006
Perhaps they are there as a sort of last minute test of fidelity - you know, some are absolutely beautiful if you don't know what they are and one could be easily "led on", not realizing it was a test.......and failing miserably!!! :oops: This would definitely not endear you to the in-laws! :cry:
Bali Hai Cruises used to have a group of Banci/Bencong dancers performing during their evening dinner cruises. We would sit at the Marina bar watching them welcome the evening's punters aboard. :shock: Gorgeous creatures they were :!:

Colin.

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur

Can't let you get away, Roy, with your opinion that:
...In the middle to late 20th century, there were only four names in music that mattered...
And your four are: Elvis, The Beatles, Rolling Stones and Gospel. Then you added The Grateful Dead as an afterthought. Apart from gospel, you refer only to white musicians. Like, the others didn't count? A rather sweeping statement on your part and HUGE omissions to boot.

One of the biggest influences on mid-20th century white ("rock") music was a little guy from East Hibbing, Minnessota - Bob Dylan. Not everybody's taste, I agree, but he changed things forever in a way that few others have. And as far as guitar-playing went, few did more for future "rock guitarists" than Jimi Hendrix, love him or leave him. Definitely impossible to ignore. Dylan loved Hendrix's performance of his immortal All Along the Watchtower so much he gave it to Hendrix. And it still sounds absolutely brilliant today because he re-worked a classic and made it his own. I sometimes wonder what Hendrix would be playing these days if he hadn't over-dosed on drugs?

Unless one is truly deaf, it would be hard to omit a string of other greats that helped mould the music of the future: The Who, John Mayall, Eric Clapton, The Doors, Duane Allman, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Muddy Waters, BB King, Dire Straits, David Bowie, T-Rex, Billy Idol, Jim Keltner, even Elton John...it's quite a long list. And I haven't even mentioned any of the females.

But no way is it just the four or five you reckon...at least in my opinion.
:roll:

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Phil, you are not the first person to tell me that my taste in music is much like the assessment a blind man would give to Rembrandt! :oops:

smusdar

Dec 19, 2005
jakarta
www.click4trip.net
Hi Sanurian,

U are rite some name on your list really give great influence on nowaday music life, such as The Doors, i dont like poem, but Jim Morisson's poem in his song somewhat attract me..

He, i mean The doors inspire another my fave band, Pearl Jam and some alternative rock band in 90s.

Even one of France football player, Youri Jorkaeff is The Doors' big fan..
Amazing rite, music is the universal language..

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur

Roy...so tell us some of your favourite Balinese 'bands'/groups? Traditional or contemporary. Don't sweat it, amigo...if your place is full of Elvis, Beatles, Stones, Gospel and Grateful Dead music, it's not exactly a death sentence.

I didn't know that Rembrandt was a blind painter. (Ooops.) Have you ever heard The Thai Elephant Orchestra? (I'm not joking.) I've only heard the first album. I occasionally slip it on in between human music and am always amazed when some people don't bat an eyelid...until I tell them that those last tracks were "played" by real elephants! I'm also aware of a group of Thai elephants who paint and their works sell! (Not sure if they've got any blind elephants yet.) Whatever. For sure I'd never let them near my computer to whip up their web-site. Then again, keyboards are cheap these days and I haven't come across even one that uses ivory.

And Smusdar:
Thankyou for your input. I gather that while you don't like poetry, as such, you enjoy Jim Morrison's extremely stoned improvisations about anything and everything. It's hard to imagine how his band put up with him as long as they did. There were Doors' performances where Jim was so out of it he couldn't do anything apart from collapse on stage and the band had to pick up the pieces, so to speak. It's a tribute to his group that on those occasions they managed without him. Just kept the dream alive, I guess. Please don't misunderstand me here - I love The Doors and Jim Morrison (most of the time). And I agree with you that they certainly did have a potent influence on the musicians around them...even until now.
:D

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur

Jabber

I've been a bit busy lately (slack might be the real truth), and haven't responded to your:
...the pastes,, which can be used as a substitute if you don’t have the right spices. You can actually cook quite a good curry from these, if you add some ingredients such as fresh coriander, chilli etc. My late father used to make the Garam Masala and other pastes himself, this is a awful lot of work and takes hours. I will make you one when I am over in Bali.
And your proposal that you'd get me quite wasted before I ate it.
Let alone Ni Luh's wonderful virtual gift of a bottle of single malt that has my virtual name on it, stored somewhere in Denpasar. (Where abouts in Denpasar again?) I can't wait.

When are you coming? Maybe we can swap rocket parts and Balinese cave maps.
8)

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur

I don't consider "classical" western music as boring, necessarily, Roy.

On the other hand, what strikes me at times is the realisation that when musicians like Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, et al, were alive, they didn't have recording equipment and all the other trappings that came much later. Meaning that nobody alive today has any real idea of what, for example, Wolfy really sounded like. I know attempts have been made by contemporary musicians to use original instruments - but even that can't reproduce the actual sounds as played by the composers in their own time.

Can you imagine what Mozart's web-site would be like? His web-forum? If he recorded these days would he prefer analogue to digital techniques? And as for Beethoven, maybe he could have his ears fixed with modern technology.

You didn't mention The Thai Elephant Orchestra so I can only assume you haven't heard it yet. And even if you do, you've already been warned that it's a group of pachyderms...the surprise factor is gone. Sorry if I spoiled that for you.
:p

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur

Hi tintin

Yes, I heard that too. The trouble with that is that they're not Balinese elephants...Bali has only ever had imported elephants.
At least the ones in Thailand were born there...not sure which ones are the better "artists".
:p

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Not to criticize your obvious lack of appreciation of elephant paintings, but any art lover will tell you that the Thai elephants’ style belongs to the Classical Pachyderm period, whereas the elephants up there in Taro have developed their own particular style, a Neo-classical Pachyderm style by some art critics. To compare the two styles is like comparing apples and oranges. :roll:

As for the Taro elephants not being native of Bali, is this some kind of racist remark? Isn’t Bali part of Indonesia, and Lampung is in Indonesia. :)

tintin

Sep 13, 2005
Boston, MA, USA
Even when two people seem to disagree and to have nothing in common, if one looks closer, one will find out that it is not so. Roy wrote,

To be honest Phil, most of my music collection is classical. I know, boring. :oops:

(Sorry to “assume” Roy, but I guessed you were referring to Western classical music, bukan?).

So, we both have this love of classical music in common.

My love of, or rather my passion for music is absolute, and the type of music is eclectic, to say the least. Unfortunately, since there are only 24 hours in a day, I somehow, and subconsciously, had to make a choice long ago, and Western classical music is also my favorite.

Like I said, I love all music (except Rap, and Heavy Metal. In H.S., my son had a heavy metal band, and when they came to practice at the house, I had no option but to leave until the “storm” had past). I also love jazz, and I remember my first disappointment with the United States, when, at the age of 18, I first arrived in New York,: I could only find ONE radio station playing jazz! I thought every radio station in N.Y., every establishment in the city would be blasting jazz, night and day. As I hitch-hiked to Tucson, Arizona, I made a point to stop at the Grand Ole Opry to attend one of their hillbilly concerts (I was not disappointed).

I studied classical violin a few years, in order to better appreciate the intricacies of the repertoire. I also studied the sitar, and northern Indian classical music, for eight years, and most recently, tried my hand at Javanese gamelan for couple of years.

PS. Allow me to brag about my oldest daughter (this is what fathers usually do), Jennifer, a professional singer in L.A., who composes the music, writes the lyrics, arranges and plays some of the instrumentation (violin and piano) on her CD recordings. As of 1 - ½ year ago, some radio stations in Bali, like Pinguin 103 FM, Bali FM, or Radio Cassanova 105 FM, were still playing her album titled Red (She even painted the cover of this album). You may want to have a look at her website, where you can hear samples of her work.

http://www.greene-house.com

JabberWokker

Nov 10, 2005
Bali

Hi Sanurian,

Sanurian said:
And your proposal that you'd get me quite wasted before I ate it.

As we say in England “pissed” - which means something else in the US and maybe Oz. So no “munchies”, sorry :(

Sanurian said:
Let alone Ni Luh's wonderful virtual gift of a bottle of single malt that has my virtual name on it, stored somewhere in Denpasar

Don’t worry it will “materialise” one day, you just need to know how to switch on the “replicator”.

Sanurian said:
When are you coming?

If I could, I would come tomorrow, however Ni Luh’s parents are still in the UK finishing their PhDs. I am helping them with proof reading/editing etc. too much work and very boring for me – not scientific enough as they are architectural and law PhDs. I must comment that they are interesting from the Balinese/Indonesian content point of view, I have learnt a lot about the Island of Bali and the Balinese people through these studies. To add to this I have met a lot of Indonesian people in the UK studying. They are very serious about their studies and very dedicated, good for them.

So back to the question “when am I coming?” I think it will be about this time next year realistically, until then my “holodeck” will have to do. I think as I am delayed in my original ETA I will just have to arrange a holiday for later in the year..Sep/Oct… and yes I will bring the Whisky if you have not found the replicator switch.

I enjoyed reading about your idea about an observatory. I bought a simple telescope and have shipped it to Bali already. Here, were I live in the UK the light pollution is terrible. I am going to join your telescope club. I am looking forward to joining “Balinese Expat Secret Camera Club” “wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more :lol: ”. Are you a member? Maybe you could vouch for me? Do you need two recommends?

As a matter of interest what heritage do you have? I understand you are Australian but you appear to be British to me in your personality (not Southern UK).

Let's talk serious do you play Classic Risk :?: All my friends won’t play with me anymore they think I cheat as I always win :wink:

Just my bit about music to add to the discussion:

If I was to create an Amsterdam Coffee Shop Music CD, then this is the first few tracks:

Doors – This is the End
Jefferson Airplane – White Rabbit
Beatles - Lucy in The Sky With Diamonds

Who can fill the rest?

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Re: RE: Isn

JabberWokker said:

If I was to create an Amsterdam Coffee Shop Music CD, then this is the first few tracks:

Doors – This is the End
Jefferson Airplane – White Rabbit
Beatles - Lucy in The Sky With Diamonds

Who can fill the rest?
I'd like to add my two favourites:

Procol Harum - A Whiter Shade of Pale (1967)
Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven (1971)

JAMIE

Apr 20, 2005
BERGEN COUNTY NJ USA

Coffee shop must haves .. well I guess I would be comfortable with any " classic " rock , but for me its the Grateful Dead , Live and loud . Long live Jerry ..

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Hmmm, I was totally unaware that classical music needs to be further defined to include “western.” That seems odd to me since so many of the great classical artists were Russian.

I still find when shopping in music stores that what I’m looking for is in the section titled, “classical.” I haven’t seen the “western classical” section yet.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Re: RE: Isn

Jimbo said:
Mats my darling

I could guess your age to within 2 years based on these choices. But of course being a gentleman I could never reveal it. :)
Thank you for the courtesy my dear, but I can assure you I was a babe-in-arms when both songs were recorded! :roll: :wink: