Isn't it amazing

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
RE: Isn

Mats

No. I chickened out at the last moment because I really like the guy ( and also the fact I have to get the last three of my tribe through University)

The time is coming though when the money will not be the issue. Being out here in the middle of nowhere (500Km trip to the neares very small town) poor fod and constant problems will mean sooner rather than later.

Another bad day I am afraid. Have a glass of Nuit St George with a Lagavullin chaser for me :)

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
Jimbo, as you know, likely better than I do, “discretion is often the better part of valor.” Your determination and commitment is admired by many of us...and, when you need a good “Bali fix” you can always find it here! As they say in the Bali Hash..."on, on.”

G

Thanks, drbruce
I will, when I can. Please be patient. You will be one of the first to know.

:D

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar

Absolutely correct Roy. After speaking to my wife via Skype for an hour last night we have agreed that July 8th 2007 will be my birth and retirement day at the grand old age of 62.

We have decided to hell with the kids except for the youngest who will be 16 then. We will spend their inheritance instead :)

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
That's great news Jimbo! It's only a little more than a year which at our age seems to fly by fairly quickly! :wink:

adnil

May 7, 2005
Australia
Re: RE: Isn't it amazing

Tina said:
Go to the other forums and your get questions like

1. Where’s the best place to stay
2. How much is a massage
3. How much to hire a bike blah blah blah

On those forums I would like to write “part of the adventure is “going” and learning. No expectations and no preconceived ideas.

You left out my favourite "What movie is showing on the plane" :roll:

pooochie

Aug 8, 2005
UK

Hi Bapak Jimbo

Sorry for the delayed reply, I been away this week.

Jimbo said:
What about you or are you more into Western music?

Mmmm, I have not followed Indonesian music for some time now. I do not have a clue who is who.

I guess Western music at the moment I like Madonna (Sorry). Actually I don’t buy music but my husband has a very large collection including Vinyl. I tend to like only some of his collection including Morcheeba, Air, Kosheen but detest many including David Bowie, Cold Play and Pink Flloyd,. When I was in the US I got a taste for Rap/Hip Hop/R&B and some country music. I like VERY LOUD music and tend to enjoy watching music videos rather than just having the sound.

Hi Pak Colin

Colin said:
…(Irish origin, actually) … green fields, rains, pubs and music of Ireland..

Yes Ireland is a beautiful country. I have been told that for the first time the 1916 event is being celebrated in Ireland this Easter Sunday. There will be a big bash in Dublin O’Connell St. So I would imagine you will be locating your local Irish Pub in Bali and having a few pints of Guinness to wash down your Easter Eggs with.

Kind Regards

Ni Luh

smusdar

Dec 19, 2005
jakarta
www.click4trip.net
Isn't it amazing how people come into the forum, post a lot for a while and then disapear never to be heard of or at least very little.

Why is that. Have they got what they need and once having obtained it disapear or do they run out of things to talk about or do they simply move on to other parts of their lives.

Pak Jimbo, we're back..
Please have a time to visit bahasa forum
merely a bit busy, but we're back :)

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar

Smoochie

I do not follow modern Indonesia Pop music but I will always be in love with Meriam Bellina who not only sang the most smaltzy love songs you ever heard but she always played a beautiful female lead in the movies.

Maybe before your time but along with Broery and Pance and a few others always makes me think of home.

After having had six children aged 13 to 33 plus my own era I reckon to know more about Pop music than most. Me I love the big rock ballads pf the 80's. Foreigner "I want to know what love is" being a good example or The Scorpions "wind of change"

Mind you I love Opera and Soul with equal measure.l

G

Hi Ni Luh.......
Unfortunately we don't have any Irish pubs in Bali, or real Guiness either, which is even more depressing! (Well, one or two places sell the "widget cans" of Guiness, but it isn't quite the same - and of course, they charge like a wounded bull for them!) Probably the nearest to an Irish pub is the "cat & Fiddle" in Sanur, despite it's very English name, and they do have a couple of live-music folk nights every week. There's also "Gracie Kelly's" in Kuta, but that is simply a hotel bar with Irish decor. :roll: However, you can always have a good "pub night" at the Arena on JL By-pass, Sanur - not exactly Irish but Olaf is a great 'mine host' and always a good crowd and good food, which is what a pub is all about, isn't it?
I hope you and your husband are making notes of all these tips I keep giving you, Ni Luh....I shall be asking questions later! :lol: :wink:
Stay well and enjoy the Spring....a beautiful time.
Colin.

Roy

Nov 5, 2002
Ubud, Bali
I thought they made Guinees ( Bir Hitam) in Indonesia.

Jimbo, I truly hope and pray that the sands of SA will not overtake you completely. My mate, you've only got just over a year to make it happen...your final escape from the bonds of hell...to paradise.

In the mean time, folks like Colin and me will overlook these sometime hallucinogenic moments that you sometimes share with us. After all, we've most all experienced mirages before. :D

With love and hugs, and now earning maybe two bottles of single malt Scotch to re-awaken your mind and senses....your mate in Bali, Roy

smusdar

Dec 19, 2005
jakarta
www.click4trip.net
Pak Jimbo & Poochie

I do not follow modern Indonesia Pop music but I will always be in love with Meriam Bellina who not only sang the most smaltzy love songs you ever heard but she always played a beautiful female lead in the movies.

Maybe before your time but along with Broery and Pance and a few others always makes me think of home.
Meriam belina? it's so old fashion..Now she's playing as cinema electronic actrees. Indo movie now has developed by young indonesia film amkers, some of them got reward in international film festives, that's why one indo young-woman- director create with France film makers a movie named "berbagi Suami" discuss about polygami in indonesia..

Broery & Pance? i heard that music when i was kid..
Poochie when you come in indonesia, the happening band now is "Raja" and "peter Pan", FYI :)

pooochie

Aug 8, 2005
UK

Hi Sari

smusdar said:
Meriam belina? it's so old fashion..

Oh dear…

That is really going to make Bapak Jimbo even more depressed. Bless his heart :) .

Bapak Jimbo, I know Meriam Belina. Yes she is very talented indeed and quite famous actually. I spoke to my Malaysian friend some years ago and he said that his favourite Indonesian actress was Meriam Belina. I think she is classic. Speaking of old fashioned I must admit I like Sean Connery especially in 007, I think he is very handsome and talented. I know he is old now but he still has the charm.

Bapak Jimbo. Do you like Dangdut i.e. Roma Irama (raja dangdut) or Camelia Malik? Do you like Keroncong?

Hi Pak Colin

Thanks for your reply.

Colin said:
I hope you and your husband are making notes of all these tips I keep giving you, Ni Luh....I shall be asking questions later!

Duly noted. We look forward to the question time in due course in Bali.

Cheers

Ni Luh

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar

Smusdar/Poochie

You should see me damcing to Dagdut. I used to get all the young girls wanting to dance with me.....honest.

Ouch no dear you know what I mean. I wish Maria would stop looking over my shoulder when I write. How is a man to do some flirting eh!

Roy

Sorry for the mental abberation about Bir Hitam. I think I must be going senile sooner than I thought. I remember now the reason I used to drink this was that the big bottles of Bir Bintang were to big and gassy so I used to drink the bir hitam because it was smaller. By then I was too drunk to taste anything.

Now of course my tastes are more quality than quantity. However 2 bottle of the finest malt is OK :)

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar

Smusdar/Poochie

I used to have erotic dreams about Meriam and she never got any older. I well remember fantisising about here in a school uniform with long white socks.........but that is another story :)

G

Hi Jimbo.......

yes, they do make 'bir hitam' in Indonesia - Anchor etc - and I also find it OK, in small amounts. However, Guiness from a can or bottle is a dreadful tasting thing - with the exception of the previously mentioned "widget cans". (The ones with the little "thingy" in the bottom that gasses the contents when you pull the ring.) Real Guiness, and the slightly "softer" tasting "Murphy's" from County Cork (but now owned by Guiness, of Dublin!!!!) are only available from a pump - or these days, the pressurised keg. :( :roll:
Actually they are both of the genus "Porter", not bir/beer/ale, an extremely ancient and historic drink, originally brewed - as was the equally historic "Meade", a fairly strong brew made with honey, as you no doubt know - by Monks, shut away in their cold and draughty monasteries. Fortunately for the rest of us they used their solitude and talents creatively!! Not for their own consumption, you understand - perish the thought(!) - but to sell in local village markets and to local pubs for money to run the monastery etc. They feature quite prominently in historic English pub names too...."The Jolly Monk", "The Happy Friar", "The Portly Prior" etc etc. In Hampshire, where I grew up, there was even a large very old local brewery named "Friary Brewers Ltd".
Er...sorry Jimbo, was I rambling on again? Happens when I get onto subjects that fascinate me! Anyway, next time you're back in UK, have one for me! :D
Cheers.........Colin.

smusdar

Dec 19, 2005
jakarta
www.click4trip.net
Poochie

Oh dear…

That is really going to make Bapak Jimbo even more depressed. Bless his heart .

I even love more classic band, like the doors (jim morrison and his poem), Andy william, some oldies songs in 50s-70s..so classic,
but now i prefer listen LINKIN Park, Pearl Jam and some rock bands around 90
Actor ? Tom Cruise is the best..

PAk Jimbo, why u dont try "goyang dangdut" ala Inul? :p

I watch meriam bellina movie in break dance era..hm, maybe i wil search on local magazine her pic, scan it and post it for your birthday :)