Isn't it amazing

Ipanema

Aug 19, 2004
Re: RE: Isn't it amazing

Krakatoa said:
Just lurk and nothig else :(

Hi Krakatoa

Why lurk, it does not matter if you don't comment on everything but just sometimes there is something that you can contribute. :shock:

Sanurian

Sep 28, 2004
Sanur
RE: Isn

Hi Jabberwocky

This particular string seems to be about to self-destruct, but here goes anyway. (And sorry about the formatting of what follows...too tired to "fix" it.)

With reference to the various international meanings of what the term "pissed" means...

Australians get “pissed” too - there are various degrees, of course: "pissed as a fart" is a state which borders on being terminally inebriated, often accompanied by things like "technicolour yawns". “Munchies” usually refers to very light snacks (like "nibbles")...although eating anything by the time one is "pissed" is a rare phenomenon (unless you're Russian, perhaps).

You wrote:

"I enjoyed reading about your idea about an observatory. I bought a simple telescope and have shipped it to Bali already. Here, where I live in the UK the light pollution is terrible. I am going to join your telescope club."

Depending upon where one lives in Bali, light pollution is not exactly unknown here either. However, there are still many areas around the island where the "seeing" is extremely good (like 8-9/10). By the time you get here, there's a strong chance that I'll have something up-and-running either observatory-wise or at least a very reasonable and highly portable telescope at my disposal.

A while ago I subscribed to an Astronomy Group based in Jakarta. They send me e-mails notifying me of meetings in Jakarta. Can you imagine the light pollution there? I've yet to go to one of their meetings - it's a rather daunting and expensive exercise to get there from Bali. Having said that, many years ago I had some limited access to Sydney Observatory which is physically located right next to the Sydney Harbour Bridge! I also had unlimited access for a year at the observatory at the University of Melbourne, (on top of the Physics Building - less than a kilometre from the centre of Melbourne city proper). Still managed to have lots of fun. (Even managed to do some "observational work", mainly related to sun-spots.)

Recently, I've been looking into the possibilty of getting a planetarium built in Bali. The trouble with them is that they're quite expensive (even small ones). As far as I know, there are three already in all of Indonesia: Jakarta, Surabaya and, wait for it, one in East Kalimantan! That last one blows my mind...the nearest airport is 110 minutes from Jakarta...once you get to Kalimantan, it takes another 3-4 hours to drive there, or maybe 5 hours by boat! Who, in their right mind, would build something like that there in the first place? Beats me. So, there's hope yet for Bali.

I've received a whole bunch of stuff from Carl Zeiss (in Germany), makers of exemplarly planetariums, and as I said above, they cost a lot. I haven't checked Japanese ones yet but given the rather large percentage of Japanese tourists who make up tourist arrivals here, maybe they could be persuaded to donate one. Many angles and "leads" to follow-up still. Wish me luck.

"As a matter of interest what heritage do you have? I understand you are Australian but you appear to be British to me in your personality (not Southern UK)."

I got a BIG chuckle out of that. But since you asked, here goes:
My parents are Lithuanian - I was born near Hamburg, Germany, after WWII - spent nearly five years there and we all moved to Australia as "displaced persons". I was dragged up in Oz and after numerous adventures in Bali (since 1973), have been living here for about 9 years. One of the major ironies of my life is that I've never set foot in "my own country". It was under the control of the USSR for many years and I simply couldn't stomach the thought of going there then since the Soviets required one to stay in extremely expensive (and unbelievably drab) hotels. Relatives had to get "permission" to visit (not always forthcoming). Since independence, I just haven't had enough time/money to go there. Actually, it's not only that. At times I think that the memory of "my country" as portrayed by my parents when I was a child is more important to hold on to than going there and seeing my dreams shattered. I still speak the language and sometimes I fantasize about opening a warung in Vilnius. Or something like that.

I'm not familiar with Classic Risk Question so cannot profer and opinion on it. And as for your Amsterdam Coffee Shop Music CD, there are numerous additions I can think of:

The Cream - White Room
The Doors - Love Me Two Times
Eddie Cochran - Summertime Blues
The Who - Behind Blue Eyes
The Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter
Bob Dylan - Like A Rolling Stone

Too many, really. Tell you what - I'll whip one up for you, when I have enough time and let you know when it's finished. Maybe you should do the same for me. Duelling Compilations. I like the sound of that.[/quote]

Have to go now and find my manual dealing with "replicator switches". Are you sure that's what they're called? No problem - time to hit the "post switch".
:shock:

Jim Thorpe

Nov 7, 2002
USA

My coffee shop:
Bob Dylan - Just about anything, just saw him a week ago too!
Nick Drake - Pink Moon album, if you haven't listened to him then get out there and do it!
Todd Rundgren - the 70's stuff, the new stuff just doesn't do it for me.
XTC - Skylarking (produced by Rundgren)
Zeppelin - The first three albums
Van Morrison - Tupelo Honey
Bill Monroe and the Blue Grass Boys - At the Grand ole Opry
The Stranglers - Men in Black
Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic
Flaming Lips - Soft Bulletin
Doors - Morrison Hotel
Pink Floyd - Wish you were here
Frank Zappa - (Hmmm, which one do I pick) Just another band from LA, no how about - Live at Filmore East.
and of course Nat King Cole.

Lots more in between but those seem to stay on the play list year after year.
My problem now is I put them on my I-pod as soon as I buy it and don't know the album name or title track so I don't remember the album title anymore. I just bought the new Flaming Lips CD and even though I have listened to it 20 times, I can't tell you the name of the CD nor any of the tracks. The days of reading and memorizing album covers is over for me.

It is interesting to hear what is the soundtrack to everyone's life. I'm feeling bad because I am leaving out so many great musicians. When I think of them I will add them to the list.

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar

Nat King Cole's "Dinner for one please James" is my theme song. Although I have universal taste in music I love Nat and Billie Holliday. Both absolutely amazing.

Unique

Mar 9, 2006
Melbourne-Oz
Hello,

Can i join and put my list?

1. Il Divo (new album)
2. Enya: Caribbean Blue, Celtic Fiddle, China Roses, River, etc...
3. Dave Mattews Band
4. John Denver: Calypso, Take Me Home
5. Neil Diamond: Kentucky Women, Sweet Caroline
6. Sarah Brightman & Andrea Boceli
7. Dire Straits: Six Blade Knife, Private Investigations, So Far Away, Romeo& Juliette, Calling Elvis, etc
8. Cat Stevens: The Very Best of Cat Stevens
9. New musicians as such as: Coldplay, Pete Murray, Kelly Clarkson (American Idol), Shakira, Norah Jones, Gwen "No Doubt" Stephanie

Well, those my list...mix and various kind of music...

JabberWokker

Nov 10, 2005
Bali

Hi All,

Thanks for the Amsterdam Coffee Shop CD track recommends, most I know those I don't I will get round to trying.

Hi Sanurian,

Sanurian said:
By the time you get here, there's a strong chance that I'll have something up-and-running either observatory-wise or at least a very reasonable and highly portable telescope at my disposal.

Look forward to seeing it, or seeing through it should I say. Best of luck on the projects. Regarding light pollution, I currently live in the city and I can’t see any stars at night.

Sanurian said:
My parents are Lithuanian - I was born near Hamburg, Germany

Well I was close and did guess you weren’t from Oz.

Sanurian said:
I'm not familiar with Classic Risk

A great board game about conquering the world with troops. The classic format is called “world domination”. When several people play it can go on for hours. Each person will be eliminated by his enemies and you can ally with other players until they are defeated, this can cause some big arguments and a lot of tension. Here is a link with some reviews:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 78-2565529

Sanurian said:
I'll whip one up for you, when I have enough time and let you know when it's finished

Sounds good to me :)

Jim Thorpe

Nov 7, 2002
USA

I just taught my daughters Risk 2 weeks ago. The youngest one (9) started crying as I took her out of South America and the oldest (14) cried the whole time I took her out completely. AHHHH, to be an american neocon imperialist war monger if only for a night. I told them that world domination isn't for sissies and if they wanted to cry they should join another political party.
Now Roy, don't call child services on me for chanting " I love George Bush" as I conquered the world :)

P.S. Actually, they only sniffled and I let the 9 year old win... I wanted to chant but my wife told me to be quiet after the first 10 seconds. But that isn't much of a story is it?:)