begonia

Oct 10, 2007
Is Sari Organic “destroying” the rice fields around Ubud?
I have been doing a very beautiful walk trough the rice fields in Ubud many many times since more than 12 years ago.
The most foreigners living in Ubud or tourist coming to Ubud know this path because it is now on the most of the travel books and they do it to enjoy the beautiful scenery of the rice fields and coconut trees.
I went to do this walk last Sunday after a few months, starting from the end of Jalan Kajeng and finish on the other side in Abangan and I have to say that I finish the walk almost crying and with break heart, angry, furious, disappointed, sad, very very sad…………………….
I guess on the back of the philosophy of a organic business there is people who love the nature, the environmental, natural resources, eco things …………….but the point is they take the rice fields which give rice three times per a day to Balinese people ,to plant vegetables for foreigners eating in restaurants or selling in supermarkets where local people don’t buy even these things (for example lettuces), they made a cement path to make people to arrive there easily, faster and clean and promoted the place, so finally many tourist take that path and in consequence many locals ( “naïve” people in my opinion), see the potential to get money and start to sell their rice fields, built houses, warung and spas…………..
From the Sari Organic Restaurant to Abangan or the mean road of Ubud I saw two new houses, one already rented and one probably started by a local person with his small savings or borrowing money from the bank but not finish yet and already for rented, one spa, one warung, one big project with a big stand to make VILLAS with swimming pool, another warung, more new building on project……………….
Will have our future generations beautiful rice fields and walks to enjoy and walk?
Somebody is already starting to make as well another villa on the other side of the path, how many more new projects will be done in that side as well and how many more rice fields will disappear?????????
From Kutuh Kelod to Junjungan as well in Ubud has been a massive construction buildings in two or three years and doesn´t seen it is going to stop, everyday there is a new house start to built up, before there was pure rice fields everywhere……….
I am not a English speaker, sorry about my bad English, usually I am not very confident writing in English and showing my opinion but this time I feel really really sad about seeing rice fields disappearing everyday and seeing new houses everywhere!!!
I really needed to express myself.
For the people doesn´t know this path, is a path on the back of the mean road of Ubud and going around the rice fields with not roads, only a narrow path betwen rice fields.

When will be enough?
Does Bali need really that much tourists?
Another funny thing to me it is that the Balinese farmers sell their ricefields but their daily life doesn´t really change too much, they suppose to “became rich” by selling the rice fields but I am sure their children are still going to the local school, their houses are the same and will be the same, and they will continue doing offerings for the ceremony temples and probably they will buy one car or one more motorbike to make this island even have much traffic jam and much pollution......
Do they really need to sell their ricefields to be happier, richer, have more money?
Bali never have been a capitalism, consumes, materialist place, they never really live for making money until tourist arrive.
They sleep anywhere, eat anything, they don´t need much to live……
Where are the limits? Are not too many hotels, too many houses, too many spas, too many shops, too many cars, too many motorbikes already? And too many foreigners owning business and houses in Bali?
How much is the local people guilty or the foreigners guilty of the destruction of the rice fields?
What I can say, it is hard to believe but locals it seems are not aware about this and it seems don’t care much about how quick Bali is changing.
Change the beautiful things for worst and the bad things still remain the same, health resources, education, roads………….
Sell their rice fields and have to buy rice at the market or supermarket?
Last week I went to Pejeng very close to the Arqueologic Museum and I asked for rice fields to go for a walk and when we went to the back of some houses we came across mountains of rubbish beside the rice fields, some of the trucks around Ubud area or from Ubud trough all the rubbish in Pejeng, on the back of the houses next to the ricefields in a dry river which is probably already full of rubbish……………
Why the beautiful things cannot stay on and the bad things really improve?
One start to sell the rice fields and the neighbours will follow, one start to make a business and others will follow………..somebody usually it is the first.
I am not saying Sari Organic Restaurant is guilty of this but it is a fact that since the Sari Organic has been open the beautiful walk is disappearing little by little…..
Before it was just a path between ricefields now is another example to make money by foreigners and locals.
What about to do organic farming on the north of Bali in Kintamani area? Or in Bangli area? Where besides the most of vegetables from Bali are coming? And you will not destroy ricefields!!
Of course “Ubud is more beautiful and has all the commodities foreigners usually look for”.
Bhutan comes to my mind now.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Does Bali need really that much tourists?

No, but the government and tourism ministers seem to be happy when there are annual increases in the number of people visiting Bali. On the same day the government announces that there will be no new hotels to be built in the south of Bali, there are press releases for another new hotel to open!

With regards to organic products, it is similar to with "bio-fuels". People think they are good for the evironment which yes they can be, but often natural forests are being cleared to grow the plants.
I suspect that farmers are getting grants from well meaning NGOs to grow organic products.

One thing you never hear being discussed is trying to control the populations of developing countries, like in India and Indonesia. As the population grows you need more housing, more jobs, more cars, more food, more schools...

Issues: `Population control a weapon of the West' | The Jakarta Post

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Hi Begonia - sorry to hear your outpouring of grief and I have said many times on this forum how bad the main tourist areas have become.

Three years ago when I first looked at land around Ubud for building it was already ruined by thoughtless building by us Bule. "Oh look what a beautiful rice paddy, lets build an ugly villa right in the middle of it".

That's why I chose Karangasem and to my surprise since building there (hidden in a coconut forest) I've met 2 Bule from Ubud that have made the move too - saying how bad the Ubud that they loved for years has become with rampant building (anywhere and everywhere) blocked up traffic and mass tourism.

My advice to you is to make the move too - as sad as it may seem. Leave Ubud to those that come new and don't have a "Bali past" (us newcomers have the advantage of thinking it's pretty good now, not knowing how it was:icon_rolleyes:) . There are still many, many beautifully untouched (well, not too hard) places on the Island of the Gods to enjoy.

Cheers Markit

begonia

Oct 10, 2007
I was SHOCK yesterday when I went once again to do the popular walk from Jalan Kajeng, this time we started from Abangan or the path going to the Sari Organic from the mean road and I was terrible shock to see once again ricefields dissapearing from that "beautiful walk"!!!
From Jalan Raya Ubud to the Sari Organic there is already more than three or four new houses for renting, just on the middle of the ricefields and a big big piece of ricefields from the path to the river and the coconut trees already on construction and there was a group of 3 young foreigners talking to the workers.................for me probably better to stop to take this path because the last two times I have been there I finished the walking with tears on my eyes and grief in my heart!!!
My husband keeps telling me that the subak make the cement paths for the farmers but I still see a lot farmers who don´t use sandals because they love to feel the land on their feet and it makes me wonder if the cement path are made for the business purpose of renting the ricefields and start to do business around the area, I don´t like the cement paths they are making everywhere now, I love to walk on the land, on the grass................it is scary to see cement paths!!!
I think the first think made me fall in love with Bali in 1998 it was the view of the ricefields and coconots trees and now is hurting so much to see them gone little by little.
In Ubud, from Kutuh Kelod to Kutu Kajah and Junjungan 5 years ago there was only ricefields and it was clear the limits between banjars, now this road is full of villas, more villas, houses and hotels.......
I guess everybody has rights to live on "paradise" but not really understand do it just because people want to have more and more money and get rich, just destroy the paradise for business purpose................for people having more money, for me doesn´t really make sense...................terrible!!!
I feel really really sad!!! I start to hate words like villa, luxury, business, resorts...................
It is a pity my child is not going to see the Bali I saw before she was born.............
By the way, somebody told me that the price of the rice went up today!!!
SAD, I FEEL REALLY SAD!!!

Last edited:

kayoticlaudia

Mar 10, 2011
Indonesia & Germany
Don't advertise the many untouched places still left or they will soon be like Ubud too!
I am trying to figure out how to purchase 30 are of rice field below our place to be able to keep it a rice field producing rice for the locals....... The guy is asking way to much considering there is no road to that plot of land. I hate to think what a bule (the only one besides rich Indonesians) who could afford the price demanded would do to the 30 are. Some of the villas are truly an eye sore! All these humongous buildings with 5 bedrooms and 5 bathrooms for example.....

calitobali

Jul 10, 2008
I don't really have anything ov value to add to the conversation of what is happening there, but I will say that it's very possible that the road was put there partly for the farmers benefit too. Just because they don't wear sandals doesn't mean that having the road there doesn't make it easier for them to drive their motorbikes one-handed while hanging onto their huge loads on the back at the same time. And sandals just get in the way while working, that's why most people don't wear them, not because they love the way the earth feels on their feet.