sonnybali

Sep 24, 2011
Bali
internet connection here is suck...

I ve tried some... now i just use smart modem. not like what i expected to but i can use skype through it.

and it is cheap....

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
I am attaching a screen shot of my current internet speed. My download speed is 0.04 and my upload speed is 0.03. We have problems. My email won't even download.
So. I think I need to go about solving this problem differently. I've read all the posts about internet in Bali. But I am not technically minded enough to solve this problem on my own. I have a mobile modem. We don't have the option of a land line in our village. I need some sort of internet technician to come to our house and fix this problem. Can anyone make a recommendation of someone who might be able to help within the Ubud/Sukawati area?

Attachments

• Speed Test 25:9:11.jpg
    Speed Test 25:9:11.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 85

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
@sonnybali:
internet connection here is suck...
Overall, I agree. This is Indonesia, after all.

However, reasonable connections are available, but they're over-priced for what you get. If you have a telephone line, I think that TelkomSpeedy is the most affordable option.
My unlimited account with them, (in Sanur), gives me 2 Mb/s download and 512 kb/s upload, and costs Rp 1,100,000/month (including tax). Skype works fine, even for video calls.

Without a telephone land line (in good condition), you're at the mercy of various wireless options, many of which require you to buy/rent/install their equipment (not cheap), and most of the ones I've looked in to charge too much (IMHO), for their actual service. I'm referring here to companies such as Blueline, Global xTreme, Indosat, etc. I am not saying they are bad, just expensive. Mobile modems here are notorious for their unreliability and slow speeds, dependent upon where you are, time of day/night, weather conditions, number of other users, etc. For example: I have a Blackberry using Telkomsel as a provider. Sometimes it's OK, other times I have to use my own home network connection.

@pollyanna:

I doubt that any "internet technician" can fix your problem with the really bad speeds you're getting. You could try some different providers' chips in case the company you're using can't cope with where you live (possible). Failing that, I'd call some wireless providers and get them to examine your physical location and give you a quote for what you're up for.

I have no experience with balimedianet, but their website reckons they offer "real broadband", 24-hours/day, no land-line needed, available in Ubud etc, "unlimited" accounts from as little as Rp 300,000. (No actual pricing on their site.)
Sounds too good to be true, right?

Still, it can't hurt to find out what their deals are.

Personal | Bali Medianet

Best of luck!

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
JohnnyCool, I really appreciate the time you took to give me a detailed response. I've sent a message to Bali Medianet and will report back to BaliPod with any useful information after I hear from them. I'm sure hoping they can solve our problem. At times we can't even download emails and Skype has always been about as real an option as the tooth fairy.

scout

Jun 25, 2010
Ubud
Internet access

JohnnyCool, I really appreciate the time you took to give me a detailed response. I've sent a message to Bali Medianet and will report back to BaliPod with any useful information after I hear from them. I'm sure hoping they can solve our problem. At times we can't even download emails and Skype has always been about as real an option as the tooth fairy.

Hi Polly, I had Bali Medianet come to my house in Kutuh, very professional, they check to see if the area is suitable for reception; then put up the dish etc on the roof with a 3 metre pole, you can then use the connection for 2 days, try before you buy. Then it is Rp300 per month.If you decide against it, there is no pressure to keep it, they just come and remove. Good luck :icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
Hi Polly, I had Bali Medianet come to my house in Kutuh, very professional, they check to see if the area is suitable for reception; then put up the dish etc on the roof with a 3 metre pole, you can then use the connection for 2 days, try before you buy. Then it is Rp300 per month.If you decide against it, there is no pressure to keep it, they just come and remove. Good luck :icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

Thanks Scout, just the recommendation I'm looking for. I'll contact them today. Right now my connection is too slow to even do a speed test. And BaliPod is slower than a cold kura kura.

heerhugo

Jan 5, 2009
Sanur
CBN Directnet

Hello,

I have experienced Balimedianet, for me the connection is not stable enough. After searching to a lot of companies i finally make a contract with .: CBN :..
A very proffesional company with a very fast (within 5 minutes) helpdesk.

They did a survey at my house (Sanur) to measure the signal. Then they come to the conclusion that a pole on my roof with a radiotransmitter isn't possible and there must be a pole from 15meter in my garden. No i'am using it for a week and i can say i haven't seen a stable connection as this in Bali before (never used ADSL Speedy).

I'am also using Telkomflash Pro which somethimes get a speed of 4mbs, but the ping is to high and unstable to stream content correctly.
So i can say that my 1mbs Directnet connection is way more fast then Telkomsel Flash Pro with a speed of 7.2mbs. Now i can use my connection to stream the Dutch TV channels (uitzending gemist) without any trouble on my TV.

Here are the installation prices:

pole till 6meter on your roof 500.000rp
15m pole in my garden 1.000.000rp
This is included the radio transmitter and instalation with a networkcable to your computer.
You borrow the equipment at the end of the contract they will remove the equipment.
Minimum contract 1 year.

Package prices (more expensive for Bali, comparing to there Java prices on their website)

Service Package Monthly Downstream Upstream Quota
CBN DirectNet VALUE Rp 350,000 256 Kbps 128 Kbps Unlimited
CBN DirectNet BASIC Rp 630,000 512 Kbps 256 Kbps Unlimited
CBN DirectNet PLUS Rp 950,000 1 Mbps 512 Kbps Unlimited
prices + 10%vat

Here is my speedtest for the Plus Package, it always the speed where you pay for and somethimes even more fast:

1507483704.png

1507556691.png

I am very happy with my choice to have a stable connection without a telephoneline.
I hope it helpes to somebody, it did for me!!!
Now waiting for my advertising commision hahaha!!!!

Happy surfing!!!
Greetings, Hugo

Here is a copy of their email:

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve your Internet needs.

We offer a unlimited broadband service with speed up to 1 Mbps. We will be
providing the equipment (outdoor antenna) at no additional cost throughout
your subscription period.

At the moment, CBN has a total of 6 STM-1 bandwidth capacity for
international pipelines with full redundant Fiber Optic subsea cables
towards Singapore. In addition, it is also supported by over 8000 Mbps of
local bandwidth which is directly connected to Internet Exchange (C2IX /
IIX / Open IXP) and other private peerings with some prominent ISPs.

Throughout 2010, CBN has upgraded its International network coverage by
presenting Akamai servers at CBN Data Center @ Cyber Two. Akamai is the
world's largest content platform and with the presence of Akamai at our
facility, all content towards Akamai (www.akamai.com) has been localized
and best of all we do not impose additional charges for this service.

Not only Akamai, CBN has also been directly connected with Facebook,
Microsoft (Windows update, MSN Portals), Google (YouTube, Google Apps),
Yahoo! (YM, Yahoo Portals), EQUINIX (backhaul link for South East Asia
regions), EMIX – Emirates Internet Exchange (link towards Middle East
regions) and many other more.

These peering will definitely boost up your browsing experience and other
daily routines involving Internet.

For your gaming experience, we do provide direct connection to Battle.Net
(World of Warcraft II, Starcraft II, Diablo II), EA Games (The Sims, EA
Sports), S2 Games (Savage, Heroes of Newerth), World Online Gaming League
(Call of Duty, Combat Arms, Crossfire, Battlefiled BC: 2), Megaxus
(AyoDance, Lineage II, GrandChase, WarRock, Counter Strike Online), Nexon
(Japan), NGN Corp (Korea), NC Japan (online game).

Apart from that, we have a direct link to TATA (link to America and
Australia), Singtel (link towards Asia) and Telia Sonera (link towards
Europe), thus ensuring and guaranteeing you with multiple routes and
backup connections at any given point of time. For further information
regarding our upstream providers, feel free to visit
http://www.robtex.com/as/as38158.html.

Attached with this email is the quoted price list for CBN DirectNet HOME,
please review it. If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to
contact us back via email sales-bali@cbn.net.id or at (62-361) 769425. For
technical assistance, you may contact CBN 24-Hr Call Center via email
support@cbn.net.id or at (62-21) 5799-4588.

Thank you for your time, hope to hear back from you soon.

Last edited:

scout

Jun 25, 2010
Ubud
Thanks Scout, just the recommendation I'm looking for. I'll contact them today. Right now my connection is too slow to even do a speed test. And BaliPod is slower than a cold kura kura.

OMG, I need stronger glasses; just read your post and thought you said cold kookaburra :biggrin:

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Hi Hugo

The info about CBNDirect certainly looks interesting and it's good to see how happy you are with it.

One thing puzzles me: you list some prices for poles, then go on to say that the equipment is borrowed. Further down, in the email from CBN, they state that:

We offer a unlimited broadband service with speed up to 1 Mbps. We will be providing the equipment (outdoor antenna) at no additional cost throughout your subscription period.
My question to you is how much did you have to pay initially (in total), before you were up and running?

Feb 7, 2011
Currently live near Carefurr and pay 710 per month with Speedy Telkom that is unlimited, 1MB download and .2MB upload.

Took about 2 weeks to get installed.

The place I stay already had a telephone line, so I used that.

heerhugo

Jan 5, 2009
Sanur
Hi Hugo

The info about CBNDirect certainly looks interesting and it's good to see how happy you are with it.

One thing puzzles me: you list some prices for poles, then go on to say that the equipment is borrowed. Further down, in the email from CBN, they state that:

My question to you is how much did you have to pay initially (in total), before you were up and running?

Hi,

I paid 1.000.000 in total, for installation,pole of 15m and transmitter.
If you get a signal on the top of your roof and they need a pole of max.6 meter you pay 500.000rp.
If the contract is finished they remove the pole and antenna.
All prices + 10% Vat.
So no more hidden costs then this, better then some others they easily charge you 3.000.000 or more for the installation.

greetings hugo

C

CanonMan

1.5million for installation with dish and splitter for Wi-Fi around the house. I upload and work with videos and photography.

I have a contract with Global Extreme in Kerebokan and my charge is 700,000 per month. Never any down time, I just leave my line open 24/7.

My office is in Sanur and an appraisal from Global Extreme suggested zero problem with signals in that neck of the woods.

Cheers,
Mark

heerhugo

Jan 5, 2009
Sanur
@sonnybali:

I have no experience with balimedianet, but their website reckons they offer "real broadband", 24-hours/day, no land-line needed, available in Ubud etc, "unlimited" accounts from as little as Rp 300,000. (No actual pricing on their site.)
Sounds too good to be true, right?

Still, it can't hurt to find out what their deals are.

Personal | Bali Medianet

Best of luck!

If i remember correctly these are the prices for balimedianet:

Up to 256 Kbps Rp. 300.000,-
Up to 384 Kbps Rp. 650.000,-
Up to 512 Kbps Rp. 950.000,-

gibbndip

Jul 3, 2011
Sanur
Asianet....?

My husband rang a bloke that had advertised in the Bali Advertiser paper yesterday, he came out this morn and hooked us up to Asianet. 1.5 mil for the wifi gear and 750.000IDR a month unlimited. The upload speed 1.5 Kbps, download 256 Kbps up to 512.

Has anyone has any experience or knows of this service ??

We were using an XL dongle that turned out to be useless.

Thanks

julias.andre

Jul 28, 2011
Denpasar Bali
My husband rang a bloke that had advertised in the Bali Advertiser paper yesterday, he came out this morn and hooked us up to Asianet. 1.5 mil for the wifi gear and 750.000IDR a month unlimited. The upload speed 1.5 Kbps, download 256 Kbps up to 512.

Has anyone has any experience or knows of this service ??

We were using an XL dongle that turned out to be useless.

Thanks

750k for that's speed?? i prefer to use speedy

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
If i remember correctly these are the prices for balimedianet:

Up to 256 Kbps Rp. 300.000,-
Up to 384 Kbps Rp. 650.000,-
Up to 512 Kbps Rp. 950.000,-

The Bali Medianet Bronze package is Rp300,000 for "UP TO 128 kbps".
Their website and brochure say they install their equipment for 1,500,000 but when they came out to our house they said the charge would be over 4,000,000 for the installation because the pole needed to be high but they were talking about the same height pole they have at their Ubud office, the one they pointed to when they said the installation was 1,500,000 so I'm not feeling too confident about Bali Medianet's integrity right now. I've sent an email asking for clarity about the installation costs. If they say anything worth repeating I'll report back to BaliPod. Otherwise i'm still looking for a service provider.

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Thank you, Hugo, for the information.

As for pollyana: Sorry to say but Bali Medianet doesn't sound all that promising. I don't know how they can justify calling an "up to 128 kbps" connection "broadband". I don't know if this could help, but maybe asking various internet cafes in Ubud about which providers they use might throw some more light on the subject.

And for gibbndip:
The upload speed 1.5 Kbps, download 256 Kbps up to 512.
Sounds a bit expensive for those speeds.

Everybody's mileage is obviously different. Too many coconut palms or trees around your house? Problem. Have a land-line in poor condition? Problem. Too many rats chewing your wiring? Problem.

I rarely have problems with my TelkomSpeedy connection (in Sanur). Latest speed/ping test quality came in as follows:

1508743056.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Papa Lopez

Jun 23, 2011
Sanur
JonnyCool, what package?

JonnyCool, can you tell me which telcomsel package you have? price per month and speeds? Thanks. Currently I see they have:

Speedy Load (512 kbps)
Rp. 295.000

Speedy Familia (1 Mbps)
Rp. 645.000

Speedy Executive (2 Mbps)
Rp. 995.000

Speedy Biz (3 Mbps)
Rp. 1.695.000

I am guessing you are on the Executive, but just want to see what you pay for to get 2Mbps.

thanks!