Cory

Mar 2, 2009
So im still on our seems like never-ending insurance hunt. I thought I was onto something, when I came acrosse William Russels's Essential Care Plans. This particular agent emailed me the brochure while she was covering for the agent I normally work with. This plan was designed for expats who live in countries where the health cost is generally lower - still covering for hospital treatment, evacuation, ambulance, and some out-patient care. I was so excited it looked perfect! I looked on page 6 of the brochure, Bali was not listed as one of the exclusion countries.

When I emailed to get the rate, my regular agent had returned and said that plan is not longer for Bali. She said "due to the country changes and previous claims experience, Bali has become an Orchid rate country and the only plan we are able to offer is the Global Elite Health Plan" Which is too expensive for us and overs a bit more coverage than we need. Boo.

So back to square 1. I have only actually checked with Interglobal and William Russell. If anyone knows of any other insurance comanies that would be great, please share. I'm still not sure how to go visit Sue while we are there next month, she sounds like she knows alot, but still doesnt answer emails or have her address on her website.

I do see these other companies on Sue's website, so will try all of them-

BUPA Ltd.
International Private Healthcare Plans
Goodhealth Asia Care
Goodhealth International Healthcare Plan
Assuransi RAMA
RAMA Global Healthcare

Thanks, see ya!

Cory

Cory

Mar 2, 2009
Sorry, I dont think I put this under the insurance category.

To add a question onto my post -

What are your thoughts on having out-patient care included, it seems to cost atleast another couple thousand dollars. Is out-patient care like annual doctor visits, x-rays, etc in-expensive enough to pay out of pocket? Does anyone know what some of these might cost?

Thanks,

Cory

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
Hi cory,

I did a little searching for you on the internet. And found a website called pacificprime, here's a link, http://www.pacificprime.com
Instead of you yourself contacting alot of companies, with all the same questions over and over again. You could contact this company and let them do the searching for you and you will get different quotes. They also have familyplans, and alot of options to choose from dental included or not, maternal-care, deductable can be included etcetc...
I Think it's worth it to check it out and maybe you will find something that's suitable for your needs for not too much money.
Take care, friendly greetings..........Gilbert.

Cory

Mar 2, 2009
Great, love the idea of not spending hours and hours driving myself crazy. Will contact them. Thank you :D

Cory

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
Hi, I also enquired through Sue, but the price was so high (from US$3,000 to 4,500) I let it go. (Age was a factor in that high price.)
Recently have recieved an e-mail pointing to this web-site:
http://www.travelinsurancedirect.com.au/
The e-mail addresses me as a previous TID customer - and I do remember using them on a short trip a few years back - but didn't claim so cannot say how responsive they are. Anyhow this web-site does have an annual cover which is only AU$354. Seems too good to be true so I haven't followed this one up yet.

aquaman

Apr 6, 2009
ronb said:
Hi, I also enquired through Sue, but the price was so high (from US$3,000 to 4,500) I let it go. (Age was a factor in that high price.)
Recently have recieved an e-mail pointing to this web-site:
http://www.travelinsurancedirect.com.au/
The e-mail addresses me as a previous TID customer - and I do remember using them on a short trip a few years back - but didn't claim so cannot say how responsive they are. Anyhow this web-site does have an annual cover which is only AU$354. Seems too good to be true so I haven't followed this one up yet.

I'm no expert on this but I have to research insurance aswell. TID is under wriiten by Allianz so I would say reputable. The $354 you quoted is correct for a 12 month policy for frequent ttavellers but it only covers trips of a duration of up to 30 or 39 days (can't remember which) for personal travel or 90 days for business trips. Probably not suitable for people permanently living in Bali. Medibank Private's comprehensive international policy is $929.70 for members (that includes a 10% discount).I don't think there are any restrictions on length of stay overseas and it includes evac expenses. Is this the sort of figure that anyone from OZ who lives in Bali is paying annualy for insurance?

Cory

Mar 2, 2009
Hey Gilbert,

Thanks for inquiring about the insurance hunt :) I contacted Pacific Prime, but missed their call. I tried to call the 1-800 toll free number on the website from the US, but for some reason it wont go through. So, Im going to try again when things slow down a bit at work.

Since we are traveling to Bali in 2 weeks, yay! I want to ask some people and our friend over there some questions. Im still trying to figure out if we can get away having a policy that just covers hospitalization, x-rays, major things, then just pay out-patient visits out of pocket. Most policies that will cover out-patient treatment are atleast another 3K a year and I cant foresee spending that much on doctor visits here and there...but then again I dont know what doctor visits, medicines, etc cost. We are both pretty healthy, thank goodness, but theres always that x-factor of not knowing what could happen. But, saving 3K a year, you could have some more money in pocket to spend on out-patient care and things.

Lastly, I dont want to overpay for insurance I dont need. William Russell, Interglobal, and one other one, all cover you for other areas such as Australia, other parts of Asia, etc. That has to drive up the price, I would think. We really just want cover in Bali, then will get traveler's insurance when we go anywhere.

So, still on the hunt... :D

Cory

ronb

Aug 14, 2007
Ubud, Bali
aquaman said:
Medibank Private's comprehensive international policy is $929.70 for members (that includes a 10% discount).I don't think there are any restrictions on length of stay overseas and it includes evac expenses. Is this the sort of figure that anyone from OZ who lives in Bali is paying annualy for insurance?

Thanks for this pointer - I'm looking at it. From the first quick read it looks like you can do it for a year but must be in Aust to start it -- looks like you may need a regular trip to Oz - but Darwin should do and Jetstar has good rates. (I am not a Medibank Private member but that only inrceases it a bit.)

I would be interested to know if anyone is using it.

aquaman

Apr 6, 2009
ronb said:
Thanks for this pointer - I'm looking at it. From the first quick read it looks like you can do it for a year but must be in Aust to start it -- looks like you may need a regular trip to Oz - but Darwin should do and Jetstar has good rates. (I am not a Medibank Private member but that only inrceases it a bit.)
I would be interested to know if anyone is using it.

Hi Ron,

Have you, or anyone else for that matter, researched any further on health insurance policies? I admit I haven't as yet. If anyone has any suggestions (on health insurance that is :p) I'm all ears.

Cheers

Haydo74

Mar 21, 2011
Insurance help please..

have spent a long time researching this and i cant find a company that will combine medical and household..i dont want 2 policies as the price is ridiculous.. what does everybody else do when it comes to household?

astrid

Nov 30, 2007
Perth,Australia
have spent a long time researching this and i cant find a company that will combine medical and household..i dont want 2 policies as the price is ridiculous.. what does everybody else do when it comes to household?

I dont know about household but Im leaving to Bali the 20st of May and want to stay for at least a year,I contacted... 1cover ....will cost around $ 650 a year but you need a return ticket ,just give them a call and explain your situation...good luck :)

Haydo74

Mar 21, 2011
I dont know about household but Im leaving to Bali the 20st of May and want to stay for at least a year,I contacted... 1cover ....will cost around $ 650 a year but you need a return ticket ,just give them a call and explain your situation...good luck :)

Hey Astrid thanks for your feedback,but you need to be an Aus resident to get covered by 1cover and im a kiwi.

alas i shall continue searching.

astrid

Nov 30, 2007
Perth,Australia
Hey Astrid thanks for your feedback,but you need to be an Aus resident to get covered by 1cover and im a kiwi.

alas i shall continue searching.

Ooooh ok....maybe try Covermore (not sure if they are only for Australians)..I made a mistake....I used 1cover as a travel insurance

freetofly

Aug 30, 2010
insurance

Ooooh ok....maybe try Covermore (not sure if they are only for Australians)..I made a mistake....I used 1cover as a travel insurance

BIMC have medical insurance, it is reasonable priced about $650 for a year for a family. but you only get discount on x rays, pathology ect and hospital stay. but most importantly it covers medical evac. so a bit of a gamble but much cheaper that 5,000 grand. you can also just get medical evac cover for about $250 per person.

astrid

Nov 30, 2007
Perth,Australia
BIMC have medical insurance, it is reasonable priced about $650 for a year for a family. but you only get discount on x rays, pathology ect and hospital stay. but most importantly it covers medical evac. so a bit of a gamble but much cheaper that 5,000 grand. you can also just get medical evac cover for about $250 per person.

Thanks Freetofly...keep that in mind.....Im a resident of australia so think that will be ok with Covermore...costs $769 for a year also covers medical evac...but...you need to have a return ticket.

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali

Can anyone comment on whether the BIMC insurance described by freetofly is a viable alternative to the $5000 per year health insurance that has been discussed on this forum in the past?
It will soon be time to renew our health insurance and $650 sounds good, especially if it includes medical evacuation.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Thanks Freetofly...keep that in mind.....Im a resident of australia so think that will be ok with Covermore...costs $769 for a year also covers medical evac...but...you need to have a return ticket.
Astrid, if you're a resident of Australia, you could also get a quote from 1Cover. My travel insurance policy was $591.00 this year, including medical evacuation. Read the fine print and see how it compares to Covermore.

1Cover Travel Insurance - Best Value in Australia

astrid

Nov 30, 2007
Perth,Australia
Astrid, if you're a resident of Australia, you could also get a quote from 1Cover. My travel insurance policy was $591.00 this year, including medical evacuation. Read the fine print and see how it compares to Covermore

Thanks Matsaleh ....... I will check it out... will call them on monday, I have used 1cover for short trips and booked online but in this case I think its better to call...price is great.....

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali

This is a repeat question but haven't seen an answer so I'm re-asking. Has anyone purchased the BIMC medical insurance or have any observations or comments about it?
Our medical insurance is up for renewal soon and $650. per year sounds a lot better than the $5,000. we are currently paying.