leandra

Feb 16, 2010
no ground water

my pembantu had to take their daily showers in my house as there was no water supply anymore in her kos.
now the owner had to digg deeper to get new water again.
how long can anyone just digging deeper... that's the question....

have a good day,
leandra

hermit

Aug 19, 2010
Bona gianyar
I hear ya, but that's kinda hard to do on a patch of mutiara rumput, I mean no sense in having a nice soft green patch of grass and then covering that up with
dead leafs

Sorry Gilbert,i did not recognize the dried out leaves as rumput mutiara.The reason why the soil cracks,is that it can not retain water by itself.Was it a sawah before and thus pure clay?If so,it would be more rewarding to enrich the soil with compost and mix with other kinds of soil before planting anything.

Regarding the water-saving issue,I think that Everybody in Bali should try to minimise waterconsumption,not meaning that you will have to wash yourself from a pail.
The initial cost of soil improvement wiould quickly be earned back by a reduced waterbill.It is more than likely that PAM will eventually charge the real cost of water,so better be prepared.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I question that pools are a big waste of water. My pool has been running (if that's the correct phrase) on the same water for the last 2 years - of course, we top it up when it evaporates or when it gets cleaned. But I would bet that more water goes flowing out to sea in the river next to the house in 5 minutes then I've used in that 2 years.

So why is my pool "wasting" water and the river isn't. Water is a resource like any other except with water it doesn't disappear - if you drink a glass of milk the milk is gone, if you drink a glass of water it will come back. There is no new water on the planet.

We are effectively drinking Julias Ceasar's piss.

One more Bintang bartender!

Last edited:

yoris

Apr 19, 2012
the water in the river is not coming from the ground...

did you ever measured the consumption due to evaporation?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Actually in this case that's not strictly true as the small river in question is fed by a number of freshwater springs that come from Agung, I would guess - at least that's what the locals say.

Evaporation consumption - no, never measured it but that happens whether the water is in my pool or in the open ocean doesn't it?

davita

Mar 13, 2012
the water in the river is not coming from the ground...

did you ever measured the consumption due to evaporation?

My pool is 4 x 7 metres x 1.5 metres...can you please tell me how much water I evaporate and compare to your pool please? I'd hate to be a big consumer by comparison!!!

scout

Jun 25, 2010
Ubud
I am installing 3 large tanks to catch the rainwater, there is a German guy living in Ubud who is an expert in this field. Pollyanna also has water tanks on her property IMHO it is the way to go, given the haphazard supply and quality of the Government water...if anyone is interested I can pass on his details...

davita

Mar 13, 2012
What I don't understand is why storing water should not be a community effort. There is nothing new here in Bali. I'm newbie but I already observe sufficient rainfall to maintain year long water supply but there needs to be a catchment lake /reservoir etc...
To do it individually may be necessary in the sticks where piping is difficult but in suburbia....do we need those roof tin cans all over the landscape.
Surely, all that is needed is a community/gov't project, well managed and maintained.....O.K. stop laughing!
My 50 metre ground water pump seems to be working fine now the rain has seeped thru'.

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
Our rainwater is stored in an underground "tank" buit by our pool contractor. It is a large rectangle and looks exactly like a pool with a concrete slab cover, with a manhole for access. We waterproofed ours on the outside to keep dirty water out and on the inside to keep the clean water in. I guess any pool builder could do this but if anyone wants the phone number for the guy who did ours I'm sure I can find it. The one recommendation I'd make is to make it large. We don't like having to use town water when our rain water runs out in the dry season.