anso

May 22, 2011
Is there any clear definition between a house and a villa? I have seen people selling 'villa' which to me is no better than a cramped townhouse with a small fish pond that was turned into a plunge pool. Is there any minimum area for a property to be qualified as a villa?

hinakos

Sep 3, 2008
Bali + Vietnam
Is there any clear definition between a house and a villa? I have seen people selling 'villa' which to me is no better than a cramped townhouse with a small fish pond that was turned into a plunge pool. Is there any minimum area for a property to be qualified as a villa?

None whatsoever Anso.
There are no rules here regarding what you can and can’t say when it comes to advertising.
A few other words which have no meaning whatsoever or you need to be careful of (in most cases):

Western managed (half indo/half bule owner pops in once a month to pick up the $$ - because we say this, we can charge you western prices)

Built to western standards (Has a sit down toilet – may have originally been built for a westerner. Because we say this, we can charge you western prices)

Open living (come here to be eaten alive by mosquito’s – we saved a lot on doors and windows building this place)

Studio style apartment (ok for standing in, but no room to lay down)

Rice field views (there is a good chance the lots either side of this place are for sale and very soon construction will be taking place on them, lots of mosquitoes)

Minimalist (concrete square edged building, usually with no gardens, dazzling white in color, was a big hit when Miami vice used to be on TV)

Centrally located (It’s in south Bali)

Modern Amenities (Water –unknown quality, drainage –in the dry season, electricity - sometimes)

Air-conditioned (we have installed an air-conditioner here which is not big enough to cool a room this size)

Security – we are paying someone $100 a month to come and sleep in front of your villa at night

Gardener - Security Man

Pool Cleaner - Security Man

Free airport pickup – The security man will meet you at the airport

Maid – We are paying the security mans wife $90 a month to keep the place clean

Welcome drink on arrival – our maid which costs us $3 a day will prepare you a refreshing drink of cordial upon your arrival.

Wi-Fi - Sometimes you will be able to send and receive an email.

All inclusive - except for the extras

River view - you will get to see tonnes of rubbish being effeciently transported from one place to another from dusk till dawn. lots of mosquitos. usually the bad ones.

Some more:
Organic (we still have access to pesticides here which have been banned the world over and are very cheap and effective and increase our profit margins significantly, but we don’t use them)

International school (Still haven’t worked this out)

International Curriculum (Some English is taught)

Low Km/s (we wound back the clock)

gtrken

Nov 4, 2007
Perth W Australia
None whatsoever Anso.
There are no rules here regarding what you can and can’t say when it comes to advertising.
A few other words which have no meaning whatsoever or you need to be careful of (in most cases):

Western managed (half indo/half bule owner pops in once a month to pick up the $$ - because we say this, we can charge you western prices)

Built to western standards (Has a sit down toilet – may have originally been built for a westerner. Because we say this, we can charge you western prices)

Open living (come here to be eaten alive by mosquito’s – we saved a lot on doors and windows building this place)

Rice field views (there is a good chance the lots either side of this place are for sale and very soon construction will be taking place on them, lots of mosquitoes)

Minimalist (concrete square edged building, usually with no gardens, dazzling white in color, was a big hit when Miami vice used to be on TV)

Modern Amenities (Water –unknown quality, drainage –in the dry season, electricity - sometimes)

Air-conditioned (we have installed an air-conditioner here which is not big enough to cool a room this size)

Security – we are paying someone $100 a month to come and sleep in front of your villa at night

Gardener - Security Man

Welcome drink on arrival – our maid which costs us $3 a day will prepare you a refreshing drink of cordial upon your arrival.

River view - you will get to see tonnes of rubbish being effeciently transported from one place to another from dusk till dawn. lots of mosquitos. usually the bad ones.

Some more:
Organic (we still have access to pesticides here which have been banned the world over and are very cheap and effective and increase our profit margins significantly, but we don’t use them)

Hahaha, unlike some of the other posts on this forum atm , I find this one actually made me smile.

Yes I do have a wicked sense of humour but I also have respect...

Cheers
Ken

anso

May 22, 2011
Ahhaha.. Thanks hinakos, you were absolutely right.

And all the security guards, driver, gardener are property agents too!

kayoticlaudia

Mar 10, 2011
Indonesia & Germany
"Pool Cleaner - Security Man"
ha ha ha...... he is a chicken and when the dogs bark at night is out of the norm it is I who goes out to check the premises with a tiny flashlight......

I was told by the local tax collector that anything bule owned is a villa - I don't like the title as I don't consider our place a villa. More like a deluxe version of the traditional Balinese compound. But yet the local tax collector still sticks to villa!

anso

May 22, 2011
Thanks ronb, based on the description in the other threads, I think all the properties that I have seen so far are just houses . Some with (very) small pool some without. I don't think 2-3 are land can be qualified as villa. I much prefer to have a bigger garden than a small pool.

Feb 15, 2013
Jakarta
None whatsoever Anso.

Gardener - Security Man

Some more:

you forgot "FREEHOLD OWNERSHIP" .... you are free to hold an empty bag when your nominee takes over your property :icon_sad:
(still don't know why even "reputable" realtors advertise that )
cool list hinakos.....

caravan

Oct 29, 2012
I lol'd. The struggling AC unit and sleeping security guard struck chords in particular. This should be a sticky in accomodation section imo. Quality post.