samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
Can you give an example of ridiculous prices for say...

Tenderloin steaks, beef mince, sausages ?

Interested to know what I am in for.

Also, whats a whole chicken cost ?

MikeG

Feb 18, 2010
Gatsu, Denpasar
Beef mince is around Rp.110,000/kg, a whole chicken around Rp.30,000. i rarely buy steaks so cannot advise you on that one. Sausages? I can only find the sealed packages - around Rp.90,000/kg. I hope someone is going to advise me where I can buy good, locally made sausages. There used to be a good Aussie butcher in Sanur (near to the On-On Bar) but it closed down.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Can you give an example of ridiculous prices for say...

Tenderloin steaks, beef mince, sausages ?

Interested to know what I am in for.

Also, whats a whole chicken cost ?

Here in the east:

Tenderloin steaks: 120k per kilo

beef mince - 95k per kilo best is from Lotte Market in Dumpassar - more fat in it, usually they make it from pure tenderloin which personally don't much like.

, sausages - sorry don't eat em as I get enough lips and assholes with my sate.

whats a whole chicken cost - about 40k for a medium sized bird, not sure how heavy, around a kilo

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
try tiara dewata in denpasar , and on the way hit titties for some great sausage

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
Thanks...

So, by the sounds of it Tenderloin steak is cheaper....chickens are cheaper....and mince beef is about 50% more expensive than here.

Good snags are circa 80k IDR here.

G

Gurkha

Beef mince is around Rp.110,000/kg, a whole chicken around Rp.30,000. i rarely buy steaks so cannot advise you on that one. Sausages? I can only find the sealed packages - around Rp.90,000/kg. I hope someone is going to advise me where I can buy good, locally made sausages. There used to be a good Aussie butcher in Sanur (near to the On-On Bar) but it closed down.
It hasn't closed down, it moved to Jl. Tukad Balian - Raja Meat. Their sausages are awful.

G

Gurkha

If all you guys like sausages so much, why don't you make your own and then you can be sure of what goues into them

samsiam

Feb 2, 2014
If all you guys like sausages so much, why don't you make your own and then you can be sure of what goues into them

exactly and what we intend to do.

But can you be sure what goes into the pig that you buy the meat from ?

chris44

Oct 28, 2010
Bali, Nusa Dua
www.deluxespas.ch
In my opinion local beef and pork everywehre cheap..in germany you pay for sirlion 600 to 800 000. here is heaven these indo crazy guys sell pork lion for nearly same price like pork neck..so i had sausages from porkys but for me not so tasty. was ok. honestly real good sausges only can be done by germans..salami ok italians but all sausages wich need to be cooked unbeatable.. but so far i never saw good quality here.. the point is the local german butcher focus on hotel and produce as cheap as possible in my opinion.
When I made sausages last year i buy my meat from "pork gede" the cheapest i found so far..pork around 60 per kg deliver to home..i got last year sirlion for 80 from him frozen local but really nice..other i buy now all in lottemarkt.. is ok for me sausages ..after 4 years in bali i close my eyes and eat aroma...and sometimes my friends bring the really good things from europe...

JohnnyCool

Jan 10, 2009
Sanur
Hey chris44

It's obvious that English is not yet your strong point. That's OK.

So - only Germans can make "real good sausages", according to you? Italian salami is passable. What about the Hungarians and Polish?
In Australia, some of used to call sausages "mystery bags". I'm not convinced that anything's changed in that department.

Much of the meat in Lottemart has taken a big nose-dive, IMHO. The so-called "butchers" there have no clue how to cut/prepare meat (they're not alone, of course).
I sometimes wonder who would want to buy some local pork chops that are 50-100 cms thick? Or, as thin as an Oreo biscuit.

I'm also not all that impressed by their imported slabs of lamb/beef from Australia. Must be the cheapest stuff they can import. I've bought some lamb racks there (maybe Rp 250,000/kilo - I forget).
More or less OK. But, rather than trying to slice them to make lamb chops at home, I got the Lottemart butchers to do it. Walked away to find some ice for my prawns/ice cream - came back and the lamb cuts were about as thin as a couple of pages from the Bali Advertiser! WTF? Saves gas cookin' them, I guess.

And then there's the "local beef" cuts there. I don't know about you, but I don't like seeing dead meat with green tinges on it, plus a few very cold blow-flies. Maybe I should change my sun-glasses.

...after 4 years in bali i close my eyes and eat aroma...
Hard for me to comment about Aroma's products and some others (like Mama's). It's a bit like trying to write a movie review on IMDB and there's no minus stars option.

You gave me food for thought regarding "milk". I avoid the Diamond version - even my dog doesn't like it.
Being a tight-arse at times (or simply thrifty), I've bought some of their juices, too.
No more - had a few swelling up in the refrigerator before they exploded.
The 15 kg gas bomb in the kitchen worries me enough...

:icon_eek:

chris44

Oct 28, 2010
Bali, Nusa Dua
www.deluxespas.ch
Yes english not my mother tongue ..so i think is ok i make mistake.. but honestly I as well bad in writing german, in high school treacher said i am legastemic? I think i only lssy i never wread what i write and look if correct.. and for me fine..when i was younger i always told my parents one day i have secretary i not need to leran writing.but never made it..hehe..
ya concerning the meat not much high qulity here..private opinioin..so far i was ok with the local sapi and pork from lotte anywazy i only use lion or sirlion cause nearly same price..and pork gede is good from price and for me was fine.
but this is subjective...concerning diamond..naja..better then indo i think and greenfield not my price..but my milk is from the taste much better and the price..only can not store 4 weeks..
but all subjective.....concerning sausages cooked ones i say.." italianand french good in not boild sausahes like salami and ham..the polish ..no..the hungarian have their salami..but else? in austria germany u find in buthcers 40 50 kind of suasages..good quality not talking about discounter..ok take care guys
chris

SHoggard

Nov 28, 2011
Singapore
no.idea how about:
PT PURI PANGAN UTAMA (of Aroma & other brands) ?
Jl. By Pass Ngurah Rai No. 555 X Pesanggaran, Denpasar–Bali.
Tel. 0361-729-505, Fax 0361-726-146

I'd assume you'd be looking at 'catering volumes' (maybe not)

G

Gurkha

I use a mixture of pork and beef - imported and bought from Indoguna.
PM me if you want some recipes - casings need to be smuggled in. normally 1 meter of pork casing will do a kg of sausage meat.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Are you really saying that the intestinal lining of Balinese pigs isn't good enough for making sausage from?

This "quality" thing can get carried too far, you know... but I will cherish the picture of you getting arrested at the border with a case full of pig intestines. The explanation would be golden!