Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I've finally decided that I can't bear having internet slower than 1990 any more and want to do something about it. The only reasonable way to get a half decent connection will be for me to get a land line.

How? I believe that I have to buy an existing number from someone in the area but how do I go about that? Advertise in the local paper? Put up flyers on the telephone poles?

Once I am the proud possessor of a land line number what then?

Do I tell who?

Do I string the cable myself? Where from?

What do I do please. Help!

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
But don't I first need to have a number?

Which I first have to buy from the previous owner as they aint making any new ones?

sherm

Nov 17, 2011
Just put word on the street, someone will know someone who is willing to sell for a price plus commission.

davita

Mar 13, 2012
When we moved into our new house in Kerobokan, less than 2 years ago, we applied to Telkom and had phone/cable TV/speedy internet lines connected. I understood then that making an application to Telkom was correct procedure. Has anything changed?

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Thing is here in Amlapura there are no more numbers available - they've stopped making them. So to get a number/line you need to buy an existing one. So going to Telekom isn't much use - I'm told.

matsaleh

Super Moderator
May 26, 2004
Legian, Bali
Markit, I don't think your answer is a land line. Maybe contact some companies like Neuviz or CBN and see if someone will come to test in your place (for free) for a connection to their service. They would need to instal a tower on your property, but this would be much easier than getting a land line. A friend of mine is using CBN and he is very happy with the speed, cost and service. I'm thinking of doing the same.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Matty I've tried that already - the guys came and did their free site survey. This consisted of the tallest Balinese I've seen standing on the upstairs patio and saying "Yup, I can see Nusa from here". End of survey - line of site is apparently good enough for the connection to work. Problem was they seemed more interested in selling me the tower and gubbins to go with it for approx 11 juta.

We don't have all that much in the way of super infrastructure up here in the boondocks but we do have pretty girls and cheap Tuak which is good too when the internet is playing up.

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
Am also isolated in Jembrana Regency and have had lousy connections. You referred me to Hawai which worked for a while, but recently bought a Smart Fren modum which works quite well so far. Have a lot of growing palm trees that will cause obstruction problems, but Smart Fren sems ok.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Some further information to anyone that's interested in the "Indonesian Way" to broadband: apparently the junction boxes that are set up for normal phone connections on most streets with copper phone lines all have an extra connection or 2 in the box. I'm told that this is for "emergencies" whatever that means.

Now here's where it gets "indo".

Options

1) If you can corner a Telekomsel engineer (and I use that term lightly) he can hook you up to one of these "emergency" numbers and then organise it so that you can have a number too - for a consideration (am informed 500k - 1mil usually).

2) Another option is to buy a number from a local that doesn't want/need it any more as more and more of these are coming free due to most people having a mobile and the calls on land lines can be silly expensive too. String the copper yourself from your seller and there you go.

3) If you have a neighbour that has a land line check on the phone and you will see that they have 2 RJ45 connectors on the back - this is if he wants to have an extension to his phone somewhere else in the house. Connect your line to this connector and run the cable to your house. Call the ISP (Speedy?) and list neighbour's number as your broadband connections and away you go.

I should know more next week. I love this place!