Rob

Sep 8, 2010
u.s.a.
The one frustration I have with real estate in Bali is the lack of a central MLS service. I spent enough time there to know that finding the right property is usually accomplished through word of mouth, with many great parcels not formally listed.

So my question is this, What kinds of "word of mouth" strategies did you use to find your little piece of paradise?

BKT

Apr 2, 2010
Auckland/Singaraja
I think it comes down to who you know, I was lucky enough to have my fiances father who knew the area we brought in and we were able to deal with the owners of the land and not have to go through a makelar or real estate agent. The area I brought in is where all his workers live so if anyone up that way is looking to sell I get word. To be honest I wouldn't have even bothered looking for land if I didn't have knowledge from a trusted local.

helmiz

Sep 6, 2010
Yes ,you can find your little piece of paradise

Dear Rob,
Sorry to hear that sad story.it happened to me as well 3 years ago,when i tried to purchase some land in Lombok.Lucky ,i finally met a solid trusty local in Kuta beach Lombok.From his contributions,now i can have some parcels of land certificated with my names on it.I have 3 hectares with 2 certificates ,situated in Kuta hill,spectacular ocean view, just spoils your eyes,when you stand on the flat area on the top of the hill.15 are ,right on the front of the new by pass road,Kuta.not yet certified ,and another 54 are in Are Guling,15 minutes drive to the west side of Kuta,one of Southern coast surf spots.
Recently i live in Japan ,i will move to Lombok around May next year .

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
If you make plane that you are looking for a piece of land then it will find you - no problem. Actually you will have to beat off the offers with a stick.

The main problem I found was that even when I made clear what kind of land I wanted - exactly! I was being offered everything else and not what I was looking for - kind of in the hope that "well, it's not what he's looking for but maybe..."

So you need to make clear to the person showing you the land (also make sure they have at least 5 or 6 plot to show at a time) if the first 2 aren't what you are looking for that you will go and not use him again - that focuses the attention span :icon_biggrin: and motivates.

Chewwyuk

Apr 20, 2010
Agreed

The best thing you can do is select the area you want to buy in and then let a few of the locals know you are looking for land. You will get lots of land offered, most of which doesn't meet your requirements but eventually you will get what you want. As with all things in Indonesia slowly slowly is the way to go. My advice is to see everything that is offered, be nice, but tell them why it isn't right. Once they understand that you are not going to settle for any old plot of land something will be offered that is right for you. On the downside it has taken me 9 months to finally get the right plot of land come up at the right price. Never go to real estate people as you will pay double the price for the land.

scout

Jun 25, 2010
Ubud
How much land do you want to buy?

no one has mentioned actually buying land.... they are discussing what has happened and why....are you in the land sale business?????
and yet again you are answering threads that are old and stale
start a new one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE :icon_rolleyes:

arsinibali

Jun 29, 2011
Sorry to hear ...

As i read some post here...Yes, you should choose the location you intend to be focus. Try to find some information more. Also right to find people that you can trust as well but just be carefully too if you are not lucky you will find someone that not good to you too even fiancee as i know directly...Good lucky.

The one frustration I have with real estate in Bali is the lack of a central MLS service. I spent enough time there to know that finding the right property is usually accomplished through word of mouth, with many great parcels not formally listed.

So my question is this, What kinds of "word of mouth" strategies did you use to find your little piece of paradise?