Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Nydave thanks for the compliments and yes we do live in the house occasionally. First house I built was more western normal with walls, windows and doors. This one was made from "lessons learned" in the first. All you really need in the tropics is a roof.

We live withing 200 meters of the ocean and have stiff sea breezes all day usually and because of that almost no Mozzies. When the breeze dies we do get the occasional one (really 1s and 2s) between 6 and 7pm so just lube up or sit in front of a fan for an hour. We (and most the people that live here) never use A/C. You acclimatize after 6 months.

Truth is I'm freezing at the moment and have to have a big blanket at nights - but it sure do increase the interest in snuggling up...

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I don't know if it is just me but the mozzies don't worry me as much as when I first arrived in Indonesia.

Nydave

Jun 4, 2015
That's interesting,and when you explained about being close to the ocean makes perfect sence,as for the fan thing I agree I discovered that a couple of years ago too,and like Spicy I also feel that the mozzies don't affect me as much as they used to,sure I get the occasional bite but my body doesn't react anything like it used to,maybe they have realized that my bintang diluted blood doesn't taste all that good afterall,Markit may you enjoy your beautiful home for many many years to come,

Marquin59

Jun 29, 2015
Victoria Australia
I also have to say, I have had to deal with savage mozzies here in Nth East Victoria Australia on a humid , still summers night. I mean attacked !!! Its a pleasure to be in Bali and have to swat ONE mozzie twice a day :) Markit.....are you in Nth West of Bali ?

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Admit I had to look it up Spicy and now fully understand where you get your moniker. Where do you get your andaliman and what do you eat it in/with? I would love to try it.

Apparently you can get it in markets in Denpasar but it is expensive. Family usually bring it from Sumatra. My wife makes sauces and sambal with it.

There are a couple of Batak restaurants in Denpasar and Kuta if you want to try their cuisine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batak_cuisine (I didn't know about the dog meat)

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Markit may you enjoy your beautiful home for many many years to come,

East Of CD would be a nice spot ;-)

Thank you Nydave and yes, Marq it is lovely here in East Bali but don't tell anyone. I was just visited yesterday by a buddy from Ubud who (like most expats) had never spent much time in the east and he was massively impressed. Couldn't stop saying how "Balinese" and wonderful and beautiful it (and the women) all is.

Truth be told we are starting to get quite a few refugees from Ubud and the south coming to live up here and (guess what?) prices have shot up accordingly. Yeeehaw!

Marquin59

Jun 29, 2015
Victoria Australia
Ubud is becoming gross

Thank you Nydave and yes, Marq it is lovely here in East Bali but don't tell anyone. I was just visited yesterday by a buddy from Ubud who (like most expats) had never spent much time in the east and he was massively impressed. Couldn't stop saying how "Balinese" and wonderful and beautiful it (and the women) all is.

Truth be told we are starting to get quite a few refugees from Ubud and the south coming to live up here and (guess what?) prices have shot up accordingly. Yeeehaw!

That happens doesn't it !! :-/ I remember back in 1981 I met a Swedish couple in their 20's on a deserted beach in ceylon. They told me of this "magical" little island off the coast of Thailand, where all there is , a few bungalows on the beach and some nice places to eat . I still have the little piece of paper with the name of this special little untouched island............ "Phuket" !!!!! lol

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
I was in Phuket in 81 and again in 83 where it was all virgin beach except Pataya. Even Ko Samui didn't have hotels then - now it looks like fecking Vegas of the East.

Life is a beach. You just have to move to the next one.

Marquin59

Jun 29, 2015
Victoria Australia
That it is ! lol

I was in Phuket in 81 and again in 83 where it was all virgin beach except Pataya. Even Ko Samui didn't have hotels then - now it looks like fecking Vegas of the East.

Life is a beach. You just have to move to the next one.
Within the regency of Karransan , do you live near Amlapura ? When going to Amed I always think somewhere 15 kms out of Amlapura would be a "good" area to build in Bali....I like this area :)

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
It's called Karangasem regency and we live just below Amlapura in a village called Jasri. Come by and I'm happy to show you around - this invite is open to all that bring beer and/or cheese, not necessarily in that order...

Marquin59

Jun 29, 2015
Victoria Australia
It's called Karangasem regency and we live just below Amlapura in a village called Jasri. Come by and I'm happy to show you around - this invite is open to all that bring beer and/or cheese, not necessarily in that order...

Jasri....I have heard of this village. I generally like this eastern part of Bali. Have the Bintangs in the esky ready to drop in (nxt June !!!) cheers :icon_wink:

Deborah

Aug 14, 2010
Chicago
I agree. Do not put all of your money in it. Get a nominee who is on the same economic level as you are. One would not just casually put land or property in a random person's name in their own country so why would you do it in another country?

mugwump

Mar 15, 2011
seattle pekutatan
I agree. Do not put all of your money in it. Get a nominee who is on the same economic level as you are. One would not just casually put land or property in a random person's name in their own country so why would you do it in another country?
Your logic is valid, but your quest is difficult.