Driving in Bali as a Karmic Experience

noodles

Apr 27, 2009
Unhappy in Singapore
Jimbom,Don’t jinx it!

Compare my country that Bali has very small road, only two-way traffic lane, not complicated, policeman ride motobike(not more than 100CC) instead of motocar :lol:

noodles

Apr 27, 2009
Unhappy in Singapore
Asking for help...

Finally, today I have a traffic accident few hours ago with a minibus :shock: , there's a shuttle bus from RipCurl,They strike my moto :cry: I have copied their license plate number(DK9096DE) but consider I leave mine passport and driving license in home...so that I had to let them go without call policeman, Luckly, I have not fall down and no blooding, no hurt, just a little broken at the moto's plastic bottom.

I feel scared when it happen, because the minibus that they have two STRONG muscle man, but Im single girl only...Who can tell me or share some exprience how to deal with such traffic accident in Bali? Call policemen at first time? or keep quiet? or....? :|

Many thanks for all of you assistant in advance!!!

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Personally - I would be happy that it wasn't more serious and leave it at that.

If you feel you do want someone top take responsibility for the damage to your bike how about contacting Rip Curl in the first instance?

Glad that you are ok - even if a bit shaken up.

calitobali

Jul 10, 2008
Yea, I would just contact RipCurl. I would only trust the police to possibly make the situation worse for you, since you didn't bring your license with you.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
Ok, after a further "event" this week I am now of the (possibly non PC) opinion that it doesn't matter what you do - IF YOU DRIVE HERE YOU WILL HAVE AN ACCIDENT!

If you drive slowly and carefully - SOME IDIOT WILL RUN UP YOUR BACKSIDE!

If you drive quickly - SOME IDIOT WILL PULL OUT IN FRONT OF YOU!

If you drive at at the speed limit - BOTH WILL HAPPEN!

And the real corker is IT WON'T BE YOUR FAULT!

Since it is obvious that my driving ability makes not the tiniest difference to the number of accidents I am involved in I have resolved to spend as much time in the future driving under the influence of alcohol as humanly and healthily (mine, of course!) possible.

I'm hoping that this will help me to fully ignore the sound of the locals bouncing of the panels and bumpers of my car and the screams of agony as I roll over the usual 3 generations of rice farmers on 1 motorbike. :mrgreen:

noodles

Apr 27, 2009
Unhappy in Singapore
Today, I send my motobike to moto shop for repair, Thanks God! It's free to repair cos only little abrasive damage :oops:

Thanks for all of you attention,THANKS!!! I will be more carefully drive moto fm now on, Always stay in safety and wear helment :mrgreen:

Markit said:
opinion that it doesn't matter what you do - IF YOU DRIVE HERE YOU WILL HAVE AN ACCIDENT!

If you drive slowly and carefully - SOME IDIOT WILL RUN UP YOUR BACKSIDE!

If you drive quickly - SOME IDIOT WILL PULL OUT IN FRONT OF YOU!

If you drive at at the speed limit - BOTH WILL HAPPEN!

And the real corker is IT WON'T BE YOUR FAULT!

You have some very bad memory with local IDIOT, do you?! :lol:

Jimbo

Jan 11, 2005
Manchester and Makassar
Noodles

Glad to see you arechanging your mind about driving more safely. It is amazing how an accident will focus your mind........and you desire to live.

SteffandShaz

Nov 16, 2006
Warwick Qld Australia
Karmic experience? Not sure but definitely a way to make one sit back and evaluate one's life in general (especially when it flashes before your eyes!).

We hired scooters while staying at Lovina and had an absolute ball, BUT it was also nerve wracking with the proximity of other vehicles (as opposed to what I'm used to in Australia). I ride motorcycles (and now a trike) here is OZ and have no qualms of doing 100kph or more on the open highway, but the road conditions are conducive to that behaviour. Self preservation kicks in for me I suppose.

I know I would rather someone else drives me around so that I don't have to watch the scooter riders darting at the vehicle I'm travelling in...or worry about where they are going to end up when/if we collide!

noodles

Apr 27, 2009
Unhappy in Singapore
Jimbo said:
Glad to see you arechanging your mind about driving more safely. It is amazing how an accident will focus your mind........and you desire to live.

When it happend, that I only heard tremendous impactsound between minibus and mine motobike, momentary meseems that I would fall down, Thanks God! Im fine 8) Thenafter, two strong muscle Baliness man got off the minibus and walked toward me,in case they fight me, I couldn't break free...I feel so scared :cry: I donn't wanna faced with a dangerous situation again, so I must stay with safty from now on.

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
Don't know why, but since a couple of weeks I've been driving around in a Landcruiser and it seems to me that the traffic around me is alot more carefull then when I was driving around in my taruna :lol:.

mobius

Jan 12, 2009
I suspect the whole thing is a ruse to make us use Balinese drivers. I am sick of IDIOTS (no matter what country, religion or even species) pulling to my left on a scooter to go straight ahead when I (in a car) am indicating to go left. Wooops - and it's 'my' fault. Then there is that don't indicate left or right, only hazard lights for straight ahead. Wot the f#%& are indicators for? An older lady lost her hat (on a bicycle), hit some gravel and crapped out in front of us a few years ago. We hit the brakes - rather than run her over. It seems running her over would have been easier given the palava of trying to state that we had not knocked her off. A very high up (local govt wise) person here recently told me that I should never stop - unless it is to save a life and no one else is around to blame me (whether my fault or not). My instinct might get the better of me - help out that is, rather than self preservation. Them again, what is the going rate for ...???

gilbert de jong

Jan 20, 2009
Panji, Singaraja.
hi mobius...
just wondering why you would leave enough space to the left of your car(when wanting to turn left), so a scooter could pass you on the inside?
friendly greetings....Gilbert.

skunksounds

Aug 21, 2009
I've always believed I've had great Karma, but here I am a week into my move to Bali and I lay down a scooter going around a turn in Nusa Lembognan on Saturday!! End result: Dislocated right arm at the shoulder, 15 stitches around elbow, roadrash all along the right side of my body, and a bruised wallet!! Good news: no head trauma (considering I wasn't wearing a helmet as it was a spur of the moment decision to rent these scooters), and no broken bones. So all in all, nothing time wont heal. Anyone got advice on a cheaper clinic I could go to see how my recovery is progressing? I've been told of an Aussie clinic here in Kuta, but have also heard it can be really expensive. Thanks for any info.

noodles

Apr 27, 2009
Unhappy in Singapore
skunksounds said:
Anyone got advice on a cheaper clinic I could go to see how my recovery is progressing? I've been told of an Aussie clinic here in Kuta, but have also heard it can be really expensive. Thanks for any info.

Regert to heard bad news, Hope you will getting well soon! Sorry, I have no useful info. offer to you, It's very easy to meet pretty Nurse in Bali, but there is diffcult to find out good doctor with cheap price...whatever in BIMC or other clinic,maybe all of Indonesia is same. Most of mass affluent in Jakarta prefer to flight to Singapore or Malaysia to see doctor when they're ill, Compare SGP to MLY, I prefer to choice Malaysia, good doctor with reasonable price.

mimpimanis

Nov 4, 2003
Kuta, Lombok
www.mimpimanis.com
Kasih Ibu is not a cheap option. It cost me 9 million there when I had Dengue. From tests for a few days before being diagnosed to my 3 night stay.

I am also looking for a cheaper option as I really need to get the metalwork in my leg removed now as it is causing me a lot of pain. I have heard Prima Medika is considerably cheaper than Kasih Ibu but I am also going to look into having it done in Sanglah.

skunksounds

Aug 21, 2009
Thanks for the advice guys. I will be in Denpasar on Thursday or Friday, so I will check out Kasih Ibu. Hopefully it will be affordable, I just need them to look at my stitched wound to make sure it is ok and make sure my arm is all the way back in its socket, as it feels kind of strange now but that could just be the healing process. Shouldn't involve tests or a stay in the hospital, so hopefully it will be ok.

Thanks again!