parajen

Mar 28, 2011
Hi all,

We have built a home in Ungasan and need advice on staff. We won't be there all the time. We have a gardener at this point that was organised by our nominee and he is from the local village ( which we requested). What is a fair wage for him? He comes for 2 hours each day to do the garden, pool and surrounds (he has another job elsewhere). Also if we have a pembantu we would only need her for a couple of hours a day also.

Can you please advise what would be a fair pay.

Thank you

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
My gardener and pembantu get 1million a month each for a 6 day week (with ceremonies free, usually 1 or 2 a month). If you try an pay your staff on a pro rata basis they will laugh at you. Wouldn't it be better to just have the pembantu full time and get her to do some gardening?

Smoke

Dec 3, 2011
Sanur
My gardener and pembantu get 1million a month each for a 6 day week (with ceremonies free, usually 1 or 2 a month). If you try an pay your staff on a pro rata basis they will laugh at you. Wouldn't it be better to just have the pembantu full time and get her to do some gardening?

Just out of curiosity and for my future use what is a days work is it 7-8 hours like in the usa?

of coarse any religious days and special family days

davita

Mar 13, 2012
Our gardener and general purpose gopher is a university student from Timor and gets Rp300,000 for cleaning all the outside 3 times a week, for about 2 hours each time. We bought the villa new and he came with it as a handyman....we couldn't, consciously, let him go.
Our pool guy, who is a professional and does many other villa pools, gets Rp500,000 for 2/3 times a week for about 2 hours, which includes all chemicals. He also comes anytime it rains or when called.
Our Balinese pembantu, now promoted to villa manager, gets Rp1M (plus lunch) for 6 days and works till finished (approx 4 hours per day). She gets overtime if she works at night when we have dinner parties, which is quite often. She only works for us and goes home when finished.
Our driver, from Java, gets a basic Rp1M and Rp50,000/workday allowance. He works (approx 8 hours) anytime we need him except 1 flexible day off. He lives with his family in a nearby Kost.

I believe we are generous and all our staff enjoy their employment with us and we reciprocate their loyalty.

Hope this helps.

Markit

Sep 3, 2007
Karangasem, Bali
All of the staff come at 8 and work till 12(ish) and start again at 1(ish) till 5 or 6 depending on what's on. They all get rice, coffee and all the water they can drink (aint I the guy?) with a couple of coffee breaks thrown in and it's a very relaxed atmosphere but everything get done so who cares?

I always remember a saying from the old East Germany - "we pretend to work and they pretend to pay us" when I feel the Western work ethic coming over me.

cabrio

Feb 1, 2010
My staff each get 500k a month for their work.
The gardener/poolboy comes twice a week for 2 hours. When I'm there (not that often at the moment), and there is a problem, he comes the same day. His wife is my pembantu and she comes 3 times a week for 2 hours.
I'm not that often at this villa and konw they love to skip soming when they know I'm not around. I have a friend who stays at this place from time to time and when he didn't call them he comes over, it hasn't been cleaned. When askad about it, they claim they came but all went dirty again... When we tell thim in advance someone os coming to stay there, it's cleaned as it should be. As long as all is okay, they go check the place regulary and when someone is staying there they do their job, I'm fine with it. As soon as this is going to be a problem, there will be a clear convversation about my expectations. ;-)

From a lot of friends, I'm hearing I pay them too much, but for me it's fine and I know they are happy with what they get. :)