marissae

I am moving to Bali with my 4-year-old. We are getting visas through my job. His Passport will expire, however, next April. Has anyone renewed a child's passport from Indonesia? Where do you have to go to do this? I know there is a form his father will have to submit (as he won't be there), but is it more complicated than that? Thanks!

There is a USA Embassy in Denpasar, call them or go there when you arrive. Make sure you have your child's original birth certificate and possibly yours and your husband's birth certificate as well (if you both are american). I am Canadian and got my daughter's Canadian and Indonesian passports made recently here and both countries required original birth certificates of my child and my husband and I, marriage certificates, and other forms of id. I've also had my own passport renewed by Canadian Embassy in Jakarta and all I needed was my original birth certificate and expired passport. You might want to get the photos for the passport done in the USA, it might be easier.

I am moving to Bali with my 4-year-old. We are getting visas through my job. His Passport will expire, however, next April. Has anyone renewed a child's passport from Indonesia? Where do you have to go to do this? I know there is a form his father will have to submit (as he won't be there), but is it more complicated than that? Thanks!

You should be careful here...what visa will your employer be applying for your 4 year old?
It is normal to need a 12 months unexpired passport before an annual Kitas is issued. Best get a new passport now and alleviate any future problem.

I had a similar issue recently when I renewed my Passport in Canada Passport Office, Vancouver. The supervisor said I couldn't renew my passport as it still had about 12 months of validity.
I had to provide evidence that Indonesia needed a minimum of 18 months of unexpired passport to enable my Retirement Visa.

btw The 'Embassy' in Bali is only a Consul Agent...I would doubt they have authority to issue a Passport but could accept/process the application...it will just take longer.

edit: here is a link I found which is informative...I have no idea of its veracity but it does suggest caution...as in the OP's case with her child.
http://www.visa-indonesia.com/52595/visa-kitas.htm

Last edited:
btw The 'Embassy' in Bali is only a Consul Agent...I would doubt they have authority to issue a Passport but could accept/process the application...it will just take longer.

I think the American Consular Agent here in Bali would be able to help. Here there is no Canadian Consulate but the Australian Consulate offers Canadians consular assistance and have helped me with all sorts of things including verifying all my documents, applications, and sending and receiving my new passport from the Canadian Embassy in Jakarta. I have to say it also gave me a little more peace of mind knowing that all my original documents were in the hands of Australian Consulate to deliver to the Canadian Embassy as opposed to a courier service or POS Indonesia.

I think the American Consular Agent here in Bali would be able to help. Here there is no Canadian Consulate but the Australian Consulate offers Canadians consular assistance and have helped me with all sorts of things including verifying all my documents, applications, and sending and receiving my new passport from the Canadian Embassy in Jakarta. I have to say it also gave me a little more peace of mind knowing that all my original documents were in the hands of Australian Consulate to deliver to the Canadian Embassy as opposed to a courier service or POS Indonesia.

Hate to burst your bubble natasha but, unless secret and confidential, nearly all Embassy/Consuls use the same courier service (DHL/Tiki/UPS) as you and I. They just get volume discounts.

Hate to burst your bubble natasha but, unless secret and confidential, nearly all Embassy/Consuls use the same courier service (DHL/Tiki/UPS) as you and I. They just get volume discounts.
Well that's good to know, thanks Davita. I always thought there was an internal courier service within the consulates, so good to know they use regular courtiers and it's no safer with them then if I do it myself.

Only Embassies can use the diplomatic bag and that is only for sensitive information or drugs. normal stuff does indeed go by courier company The Brits use DHL.

Well that's good to know, thanks Davita. I always thought there was an internal courier service within the consulates, so good to know they use regular courtiers and it's no safer with them then if I do it myself.

I used to be with an airline Natasha and can say that 'secret & confidential' mail always had a person on board who either carried the items in their possession, or were first off/last on the 'plane to monitor the diplomatic bag and cargo hold closure/opening.

It could be that courier services has better security if the contents were in a Government mailbag, even if couriered commercially, as DHL and UPS have their own aircraft.
So you may be correct that it is more secure.

Back