spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
I am just trying to get some idea of building prices in Bali. I have a quote from a builder and just want to have something to compare it to.

I know that 2 projects are not the same, I just need a starting point. Can anyone send me a building quote they have received for a house or villa before? It doesn't have to be recent, as I can factor in inflation.

I know it is a bit of a long shot, but I would appreciate some help.

hermit

Aug 19, 2010
Bona gianyar
I am just trying to get some idea of building prices in Bali. I have a quote from a builder and just want to have something to compare it to.

I know that 2 projects are not the same, I just need a starting point. Can anyone send me a building quote they have received for a house or villa before? It doesn't have to be recent, as I can factor in inflation.

Did you check out the very interesting discussion in this same forum:Owning Property in Bali/cost of building construction and finding a builder.The price per m2 seems to be a good comparison tool.

spicyayam

Jan 12, 2009
Yes, I read that thread with interest. How detailed do builders here provide quotes? There is a big difference in price for example if you use imported taps versus localy produced ones.

hermit

Aug 19, 2010
Bona gianyar
Yes, I read that thread with interest. How detailed do builders here provide quotes? There is a big difference in price for example if you use imported taps versus localy produced ones.

The price per m2 can not go up very much if you use imported taps,unless they are of gold.I would advise to get Toto taps and toilets as spareparts are readily available and the quality is as good as any imported brand.Toto even exports to the USA.You can ask the builder to leave out that kind of things from the quotation so you can decide later about that.If a builder puts it in his quotation,he will always charge the regular retail price.Discounts of 20 to 30 %are common for Toto if you buy yourself.
Wich part of Bali will you be building in?

pollyanna

Feb 8, 2010
Ubud, Bali
Spicy, the quotes we got were from 350.000 m2 to 450.000m2. That, of course, is for the actual construction, not materials and supplies. We are providing all of those. The builder tells us what he needs and we provide it. This means we have a lot of control over costs while still getting a quality house but it also means that we are involved daily in watching what goes on. We do have an Indonesian project manager and he is invaluable, not only for language translation, but also because we trust him and he understands what needs to be done to have a good quality home.
The builder we're using is charging 350.000m2 and I doubt you'd find cheaper for good quality. Before choosing him we watched a home he's building under construction and feel confident that we'll be happy with the result.

@Hermit, thanks for the advice about the Toto taps. That makes sense. We're heading south on Friday to make some decisions about taps 'n' stuff. If anyone can tell us where the biggest range of Toto can be found I'd be grateful.

supertago

Sep 3, 2010
Roma
Spicy, the quotes we got were from 350.000 m2 to 450.000m2. That, of course, is for the actual construction, not materials and supplies. We are providing all of those. The builder tells us what he needs and we provide it. This means we have a lot of control over costs while still getting a quality house but it also means that we are involved daily in watching what goes on. We do have an Indonesian project manager and he is invaluable, not only for language translation, but also because we trust him and he understands what needs to be done to have a good quality home.
The builder we're using is charging 350.000m2 and I doubt you'd find cheaper for good quality. Before choosing him we watched a home he's building under construction and feel confident that we'll be happy with the result.

@Hermit, thanks for the advice about the Toto taps. That makes sense. We're heading south on Friday to make some decisions about taps 'n' stuff. If anyone can tell us where the biggest range of Toto can be found I'd be grateful.
Polly , i am very surprised about the price/m2 you said ! So , the difference between a fully-furnished home ( I mean with floor , sanitary , tiles...not furniture ) and an unfurnished seems to be 1:10 !!! When I was searching which would be a reasonable average / m2 , my mind was figuring out only a unfinished house , and 5Juta seemed to me to be an affordable price ! Of course , I was just checking on the internet , do not have a land yet .
Now you posted a very very low price ( I consider it as a starting point , I know the differences could be between project such as sizes , planimetry , how far and how hard is getting the location...) , but this is making me stronger in my plans !!!:icon_lol:
Can you provide us any pic of the construction ? Do you write on-line any diary of your path ?

hermit

Aug 19, 2010
Bona gianyar
Polly , i am very surprised about the price/m2 you said ! So , the difference between a fully-furnished home ( I mean with floor , sanitary , tiles...not furniture ) and an unfurnished seems to be 1:10 !!! When I was searching which would be a reasonable average / m2 , my mind was figuring out only a unfinished house , and 5Juta seemed to me to be an affordable price ! Of course , I was just checking on the internet , do not have a land yet .
Now you posted a very very low price ( I consider it as a starting point , I know the differences could be between project such as sizes , planimetry , how far and how hard is getting the location...) , but this is making me stronger in my plans !!!:icon_lol:
Can you provide us any pic of the construction ? Do you write on-line any diary of your path ?

Polly has given a price for LABOUR ONLY and the involvement of the contractor,not including any material such as cement,stones or wood.They supply that themslves,wich i think is a smart thing to do.

Nina Kresna

Oct 7, 2010
Builder Info

Hi,

You may visit: Barenns CST

This is a local builder with a great price and quality!

Cheers,

scout

Jun 25, 2010
Ubud
Nina, you are posting the same thing everywhere on this blog site. As this is your company, so I am lead to believe, why dont you introduce yourself, tell us all about the company and builder etc. Just quoting a name and site address is not in your interests, and frankly puts people off, especially me :icon_evil:

tobaman

Aug 19, 2010
bali

if i can suggest, do a market research first (constructor rates + what includes in their offer AND material rates + fluctuation possibility along your construction period). Both construction ways always have plus & minus ie: with a contractor you get warranty/maintenance period which cover both workmanship and materials quality/damages, with a builder you will carry the material rates fluctuation and the quality (if you don't really know all materials quality standard well, you may buy second class with high price and be responsible for the damages later)...when you get a quote from a contractor ask them to provide detailed bill of quantity to avoid cheating, you can choose to do a unit rate contract OR a lump sum amount contract.

Mr T Arif Bawah

Oct 10, 2010

Actual construction cost will be 40% of materials. A well built construction with a decent level of finish will set you back up to 4.5J a m2 - and I mean with a decent standard of flooring and sanitary fittings.

The price you state of 450K would come out to a supply and build price of 1.5J m2 - much too cheap for a quality build.

Mr T Arif Bawah

Oct 10, 2010
Also, don't fall for using those nasty horrible red bricks held together with a million bags of cement, take a look at what Holcim do. Consider proper and cable ducts from the outset, and centralized hotwater - easy and cheap at the outset.

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
Actual construction cost will be 40% of materials. A well built construction with a decent level of finish will set you back up to 4.5J a m2 - and I mean with a decent standard of flooring and sanitary fittings

40 % is too expensive, if I had paid always that much I´d be busted longtime ago :icon_biggrin:

4.5 J a m2 is expensive too, you can get a decent flooring (large granito tiles) and sanitary fitting (Toto for example) for less money...

Cheers Marc

Mr T Arif Bawah

Oct 10, 2010
If you are building for a profit, then 40% is too expensive, but if you are building for yourself, the 40% gets a proper job.

I expect you can get cheaper than 4.5J a meter with shitty soft red bricks, 1/2" of oversite concrete, one power point in the centre of the house, and rising damp for the next 40 years.

I'm talking about a properly constructed building with good quality wood and fittings and something a bit better than granito -

Talking to a guy who is having a laugh selling his house for 8M, he reckoned that 40% of his construction costs were in timber alone for frames and windows - having seen the price of merbau recently, this I can quite believe.

I'm starting one soon, steel frame, poured floor slabs with membranes, proper underfelting on the lid, and doing the things the same as I would for myself in the "west" - 450K m2 wouldn't touch the sides.
As a contractor throwing them up by the street, even then I'd say you'd find it difficult to get the proce down to that level....a bag of dust is 55-60K now.

Mr T Arif Bawah

Oct 10, 2010
40 % is too expensive, if I had paid always that much I´d be busted longtime ago :icon_biggrin:

4.5 J a m2 is expensive too, you can get a decent flooring (large granito tiles) and sanitary fitting (Toto for example) for less money...

Cheers Marc

Hold on, you said.....

3 million / m2 with kitchenette (no electrical appliances) and bathrooms without toilet & washbasins (just layed tubes & pipes), doorhandles, hinges, locks, latches medium quality (means not the stainless imported stuff)

3,5 million / m2 as above but bathroom is fully done & stainless items

4million / m2 with a complicated roof structure, if you need wooden floor etc this is based on your needs

still need more info & prices are negotiable

Regards

Marc

If by "complicated roof structure" you mean "one that doesn't leak and get eaten by termites" then we will have to go with 4J, now lets add for merbau for frames etc....

As above, 4.5J a meter is not unreasonable for a well built construction using modern materials and methods.

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
Talking to a guy who is having a laugh selling his house for 8M

And now what you´re talking about? You must mistake my identity....4 million / m2 as a max is still cheaper that 4,5 (for a 300 sqm villa - 16.000 $), and now what you mean with leaking and wood getting eaten by termites etc? You´re builder? (and want to avoid to let the bule know the real prices?)

For 3 - 4 you already get a very decent quality, I know what I´m talking about. But please keep paying (asking for?) 4,5 million / m2.

BTW: for a nice 40cm x 40 cm granito tiles you can get easily marble so it´s not about saving money just taste

Regards Marc

Last edited:

Mr T Arif Bawah

Oct 10, 2010
The 8M story is of no importance, save for the fact that the cost of good timber.

Since we export your tradesmen, i'm pretty much well aware of my labour costs, and since we export your materials, yep, got that covered too.

For your 4J, do you slap up red brick skins.....? no need to answer.

I'm just a minor buleder - just a structural engineer....nothing to write home about, but enough to write about compressive strength in dried mud bricks. Come back and talk to me when you can tell me what the ultimate compressive strength is in a dried up bit of mud with half washed beach sand and as much Semen Gresik's finest is.....

I think your 4J would get 1M pondasi....rubble footings, soft reds, single skin and render, 1" oversite, no damp proof , anti rayap, kamper frames....

I can go on, but...let them scrape the barnacles off the internal walls, saves on buying shellfish.

As for granito being a statement of taste, well you got that bit nailed alright.

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
maybe I forgot to mention that the quoted prices above are SELLING prices - prices are final! For 4 million you can build a very decent house, good building quality including contractor fees (borongan fees etc.) & client get a list of material specs - (prices must adjust of course to personal material & design choices 3 to 3.5 is possible too)

But you´re right evth getting more & more expensive in Indonesia...so IF you´ve a reliable and competent contractor 4.5 is not an impertinent price, if you trust him & he listens to you it´s ok I guess.

All I want to say is that it´s possible to build the same quality & same material for a cheaper price IF a person knows what & how to do it, the real price, the right shop, the right people, take care of it personally and speaks the language...

No harm meant! Good luck...

sakumabali

Apr 2, 2010
Since we export your tradesmen, i'm pretty much well aware of my labour costs, and since we export your materials, yep, got that covered too

sorry I´m no native speaker MY tradesmen??

For your 4J, do you slap up red brick skins.....? no need to answer

you got to be kidding be of course there are no red bricks in this calculation

no damp proof , anti rayap, kamper frames

yes all included (for 4.5 just kamper? :icon_rolleyes:)

We´re doing our own developments so no financial interest in this discussion let me keep that straight, but maybe you can publish here some borongan & material prices of your contractor might be interesting for others?

Take care, marc

Mr T Arif Bawah

Oct 10, 2010
No offense taken...it is after all just a game.

Not only is everything getting more expensive, we are also progressing in standards and quality, out with soft reds and in with a dry internal walls and turds that don't pop up in the front garden.....

Yes, if I manage my own home project FOC, and get my trowel out, wire and plumb the thing myself and then 2nd fix, ceramics and all I can cut the cost down hugely, firstly I am able, 2nd I can make the time, 3rd, I know what I want for a quality job - not everyone is so fortunate.

PS, I'm looking for a JCB 3C/CX/D sitemaster turbo with a 3 in 1 and ideally a 3D backhoe on it if anyone knows where one is going......